GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help... Copped another GS400 (Second Round)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 12:41 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some help... Copped another GS400 (Second Round)

OK I got another GS400 Silver with Grey interior (pictures coming soon)
no accidents

But I have some new owner (again) questions.

The odometer is STUCK like totally stuck. I think some connection isnt working
The miles per hour is stuck on 0
and the mileage is stuck on 100,400
I know the mileage isnt too far off from what it actually is, because the CARFAX
stated that.

01/09/2006 90,024 New York
Inspection Station Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

View what was inspected
05/04/2007 95,234 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Pennsylvania
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

Owner 4
Purchased: 2008
Type: Personal
Where: New York
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 4/14/08 - present
(1 yr. 7 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
04/14/2008 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Brooklyn, NY Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

05/02/2009 100,400 New York
Inspection Station Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection
Im guessing the mileage shouldnt be over 115K miles. He said he really didnt drive it too much ( Who knows)

BUT what the hell happened between 5/04/07 and 4/14/08?????
It was sold at an auction in 5/07 and was sold almost a year later at a dealership?
something is missing.

The owner said he did the timing belt and water pump recently .
and he also did the valve seals I think.
So happens he also goes to the same certified lexus mechanic as I do.

The heat also doesnt work right now, and the mechanic said that its a blower motor that needs to be changed. at ~$250

can anyone give me some insight of any of these problems?

Last edited by KingNasGS4; 12-08-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 07:49 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

If its not too late or if the car is not close to free I would pass. This many repairs is not the way to start off with a new-to-you car, IMO.

About the issues if he goes to the same mechanic you do the mechanic should be aware of these issues and be able to give you a run down of their causes and cost to repair. He can also verify if the timing belt, water pump, and valve seals were in fact serviced.
Old 12-08-09, 08:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

There are much better deals out there..
Old 12-08-09, 09:00 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Debonair
If its not too late or if the car is not close to free I would pass. This many repairs is not the way to start off with a new-to-you car, IMO.

About the issues if he goes to the same mechanic you do the mechanic should be aware of these issues and be able to give you a run down of their causes and cost to repair. He can also verify if the timing belt, water pump, and valve seals were in fact serviced.
this many repairs? I only stated 2 things
I dont think its that bad IMO
Especially since its clean title no accidents and considering the price I paid, I guess you won't get a perfect 99 GS400 for it.

Anyone else have any insight about the heat and cluster?

Im asking about the heat because it could be another (cheaper) reason the heat isnt working. and probably a misdiagnosis...
I was told that it is the Blower motor, but does that control the heat? or the fan itself?

and the cluster again im thinking is a bad connection with whatever senses the movement of the car because the miles or speedo arent moving

Last edited by KingNasGS4; 12-08-09 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 12:26 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by kosi718
this many repairs? I only stated 2 things
I dont think its that bad IMO
Especially since its clean title no accidents and considering the price I paid, I guess you won't get a perfect 99 GS400 for it.

Anyone else have any insight about the heat and cluster?

Im asking about the heat because it could be another (cheaper) reason the heat isnt working. and probably a misdiagnosis

and the cluster again im thinking is a bad connection with whatever senses the movement of the car because the miles or speedo arent moving

OK since its now apparent that you already bought the car let me see if I can be more helpful.

Speed/Odometer - This can be the Vehicle Speed Sensor, The Cluster, or any of the wiring in between. Check all the fuses - all of them.

Heater -
I am assuming that the AC and regular vent functions are working properly, if not then the blower motor or HVAC controls may be at fault. If it does blow air, but just cold air, then it may be the blend door motor. Check all the fuses - all of them.

I hope this helps. Congrats on the new car. Make sure you check all the fuses - not just the one that you think would be related.
Old 12-08-09, 01:14 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Ok so you think it could really be the blend door motor?

I mean the mechanic told him its the blower motor. But when I searched for heat problems, I saw people saying it could be air in the lines or the thermostat which are both cheaper solutions (IF those were the reasons)
So I basically was trying to do a process of elimination.

Its blowing cool air now.
I think if the blower motor was the problem, I wouldnt be getting any air at all right?
The AC is blowing ice cold

I will get him to check all the fuses then
Old 12-09-09, 12:31 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

any other suggestions guys?
Old 12-09-09, 09:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok so you think it could really be the blend door motor?

I mean the mechanic told him its the blower motor. But when I searched for heat problems, I saw people saying it could be air in the lines or the thermostat which are both cheaper solutions (IF those were the reasons)
So I basically was trying to do a process of elimination.

Its blowing cool air now.
I think if the blower motor was the problem, I wouldnt be getting any air at all right?
The AC is blowing ice cold

if its blowing air at all, its not the blower (less it sometimes comes on and sometimes doesnt). check my DIY on the servo's and u need a new mechanic BTW. if servos are bad blower motor will work fine just wont move heat or sometimes air or sometimes not to right place u want it at.

do u have heat in ANY condition on either side?
Old 12-09-09, 10:38 AM
Debonair
iModerate

So he has the car and you are calling and telling him what to check/repair?

If you do not trust your mechanic enough to fix the issue based off his diagnosis you should probably find a new one like Brian said. Please don't take offense but Process of elimination is not the smartest, cheapest, or most efficient way to fix this issue, Proper diagnosis by a qualified tech is. If you are planing on letting a mechanic do the job then let him do the job. Just make sure you hold him accountable is his diagnosis is wrong.

Best of luck.
Old 12-09-09, 10:50 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
if its blowing air at all, its not the blower (less it sometimes comes on and sometimes doesnt). check my DIY on the servo's and u need a new mechanic BTW. if servos are bad blower motor will work fine just wont move heat or sometimes air or sometimes not to right place u want it at.

do u have heat in ANY condition on either side?
I cant even say that I need a new mechanic because this is the same reason that I ask things on here because he deals with so many lexus' and customers and things going on at the same time that his thinking isn't always dead on when he gives a diagnosis but he eventually finds out the problem when the car is worked on.

that is something a LOT of us are accustomed to LOL

and no, there is no heat at all no where... I have to check if I hear any movements in the vents when I change the temperature.
Old 12-09-09, 11:05 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

So he has the car and you are calling and telling him what to check/repair?

If you do not trust your mechanic enough to fix the issue based off his diagnosis you should probably find a new one like Brian said. Please don't take offense but Process of elimination is not the smartest, cheapest, or most efficient way to fix this issue, Proper diagnosis by a qualified tech is. If you are planing on letting a mechanic do the job then let him do the job. Just make sure you hold him accountable is his diagnosis is wrong.

Best of luck.
no he doesnt have the car at this time.

I do trust him ive been going to him for years, and friends and family have been going to him for years also. He's a certified Lexus mech.

but like I said he had a tendency to give a misdiagnosis initially.
but when he actually goes in the car to solve the problem, he would get it right.

I just want to get some opinions before he goes in the car so I can point him in the right direction totally,

he probably won't even think of a "blend door motor" at first instance.
Old 12-09-09, 02:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Best of luck.
well said abel

I cant even say that I need a new mechanic because this is the same reason that I ask things on here because he deals with so many lexus' and customers and things going on at the same time that his thinking isn't always dead on when he gives a diagnosis but he eventually finds out the problem when the car is worked on.

that is something a LOT of us are accustomed to LOL

and no, there is no heat at all no where... I have to check if I hear any movements in the vents when I change the temperature.
u shouldn't be accustomed to someone misdiagnosing anything man. i go to my mechanic who IS a family friend (he was best friends with my deceased brother-n-law and i have know him personally for like 10 years my other mechanic who works at the same shop i have known for like 17 years.)
i tell him what my cars doing and he drives it or tries to get it to repeat the problem and then he will start working on it but he doesnt play "parts replacer" as i call some of the guys who come into my HVAC supply house.

no he doesnt have the car at this time.

I do trust him ive been going to him for years, and friends and family have been going to him for years also. He's a certified Lexus mech.

but like I said he had a tendency to give a misdiagnosis initially.
but when he actually goes in the car to solve the problem, he would get it right.

I just want to get some opinions before he goes in the car so I can point him in the right direction totally,

he probably won't even think of a "blend door motor" at first instance.
u need to learn to multiquote also sir lol. its NOT called a blend door BTW its called a servo (although it can be referred to as one it, it is not really called a blend door)

dont take this as rude but im bout to be very blunt with you. if he's a certified lexus tech like u say, he would know if the blower is working its not a blower and AGAIN if he was a certified lexus tech he would know the RX,GS,AND IS lexus TEND to have issues with their servos so thats where he woulda started not on the blower. all a blower does is move the air....it doesnt create the heat at all. so if your blower is blowing cold air, ICE cold a/c, but no heat........check your temp servos as i show u in my DIY and GET YOURSELF A NEW MECHANIC cause that ones got no clue and i wouldnt trust him to work on my niece's power wheel

Last edited by sakataj; 12-09-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 04:13 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sakataj
well said abel

u shouldn't be accustomed to someone misdiagnosing anything man. i go to my mechanic who IS a family friend (he was best friends with my deceased brother-n-law and i have know him personally for like 10 years my other mechanic who works at the same shop i have known for like 17 years.)
i tell him what my cars doing and he drives it or tries to get it to repeat the problem and then he will start working on it but he doesnt play "parts replacer" as i call some of the guys who come into my HVAC supply house.

You are right about that, definitely. But I really dont see it as a problem because him and his other certified lexus mechanic always get it right. You see, when you just mention the problem to him and ask him he'd probably just take a guess depending on how much information was given and how well the problem was described. Remember previously, I said when he actually gets into the car he and his other mechanic ALWAYS figure out the problem.

I mean they MUST be doing something good right? they have almost all of Brooklyn and Queens Lexus owners coming to their shop. and they all leave with happy faces

u need to learn to multiquote also sir lol. its NOT called a blend door BTW its called a servo (although it can be referred to as one it, it is not really called a blend door)
Oh I only said "blend door motor" because that is what another poster had refered to it as in one of the first replies.
and I know how to multi quote but I guess I was typing one response at the same time someone posted another

dont take this as rude but im bout to be very blunt with you. if he's a certified lexus tech like u say, he would know if the blower is working its not a blower and AGAIN if he was a certified lexus tech he would know the RX,GS,AND IS lexus TEND to have issues with their servos so thats where he woulda started not on the blower. all a blower does is move the air....it doesnt create the heat at all. so if your blower is blowing cold air, ICE cold a/c, but no heat........check your temp servos as i show u in my DIY and GET YOURSELF A NEW MECHANIC cause that ones got no clue and i wouldnt trust him to work on my niece's power wheel

It's all good, I dont feel any way about that well like I said, in the initial post, the mechanic didn't tell me directly that its the blower motor, he told the guy who sold me the car that, and he wasnt even 100% sure because he was struggling trying to remember what he told him.

So I have no clue if he said blower motor initially or not.

But im going to check the DIY now!
Old 12-10-09, 01:22 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

any other input?

even about the cluster? do you guys feel that I need to?