GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to Detail an Engine Bay??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-02, 02:13 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question How to Detail an Engine Bay??

Did a search but couldn't find any good info on how to properly detail an engine bay.. I noticed from a few of Dex's pics he knows what he is doing, so if you see this Dex could you post a reply with some how to steps and what products/process I should use to do this properly without messing up my electronics.. Or should I just take my car to the dealer and let them do it.. I think they charge $55 CDN to clean and dress the engine..

Thanks in advance Dex or anyone else who can lead me in the right direction!

Ken
Old 05-05-02, 02:52 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey man i clean my engine... what i use is protectant on all the plastic parts, for the chassis of teh car i use a toothbrush to get all the sand out of the cracks and then i wipe it clean with the same protectanct stuff.

Basically jsut use protectant around everythign its all plastic or use the toothbrush to get rid of the sand!
Old 05-05-02, 02:52 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ken for the kind words, but I never really do much of anything special to be quite honest.

Now, this is for MY engine bay, which never really gets very dirty. I'll have tips for you dirty people in a minute.

Every 2nd or 3rd wash, I pop the hood, and do a thorough rinse down with moderate to heavy pressure with the hose. I get real close to all the crevasses and nooks and crannies with the hose.

I'll also spray down the underside of the hood; sound material and all, to rinse off and out the dust and stuff.

I don't use any soap or degreaser.

When done, I wipe everything down I can get a towel on.

All the black parts (mostly plastic) under the hood, I use a little standard Armor All sprayed onto one of those blue "shop" paper towels (heavier, thicker) and wipe the components down 2 or 3 times.

This is what really brings out the clean look, since the dark clean part components shine well against the clean silver components.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if your setup is dirty, and you absolutely need to use a degreaser of some sort, be careful. Some of those part you see under your hood are aluminum, which can easily be etched by a corrosive cleaner.

Again, I'm no detail expert, but if I had to recommend a true cleaner for engine bays, I think I'd first use one of those "biological" cleaners, like with oranges or something; something very light at first. Shoot, I’d venture a guess you could use a light concentration of your car wash soap, since it is designed to remove dirt and light contaminant from your finish, but not your wax.

Also remember that you'll be getting soap and water on moving parts like belts, so take that into consideration when slecting a cleaner.

Here are a couple degreaser products here, but I’ve never used them.

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/cleaners.html

I’d also go here and research since all these guys talk about is detailing. I was in bliss when I first visited there.

http://autopia-carport.com/

Ken, lets see some pics when you get it spruced up!

HTH
Old 05-05-02, 06:00 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks Dex and Sasha for the heads up.. I think after 2.5 winters of neglect under the hood of the GS400 I think this car falls under the dirty category.. I took a picture just a couple hours ago and I think the flash makes it look cleaner than it really is but take a peek..

I might just go to the dealer and let them clean it for me and then follow both your suggestions to keep it from getting to this state again..
Attached Thumbnails How to Detail an Engine Bay??-resized-for-ken-dscf0064.jpg  

Last edited by ///MDex; 05-06-02 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 06:25 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam! clean that thing. try not to use alcohol cleaners on the plastic. it will make it white and dry it out.
Old 05-05-02, 06:37 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

dude!! the flash is supposed to make it look DIRTIER!! that means that its so dirty that it compleatly reverses that theory!!

mine was that dirty not too long ago.... prepare to spend 6 hours cleanign.. and you'll have to remove the strut bar bolts too to take off hte spacer and get at all that crap... mine was just like that. 2 years of neglection!
Old 05-05-02, 06:42 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Dude don't rub it in.. LOL.. Oh well I haven't really been driving this car too much so I can't take all the blame..

Mental note don't take pics of dirty engine and post on CL.. LOL

I'll call Ken Shaw in the morning and book an appointment then take an after photo for you're viewing pleasure..

Ken

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 05-05-02 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-05-02, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Ken, I think you need to let Sasha do the work in exchange for letting him rip around your parking lot.
Old 05-05-02, 07:00 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

ROFL Bit that is a GREAT idea.. Sasha is a good guy and I wouldn't do that to him (Well maybe ).. Besides he gave me a good hookup to get my Tein's installed so I think we are even..
Old 05-05-02, 07:42 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

hey man! no problem i woudln't mind helping you clean yoru engine!!
Old 05-05-02, 09:23 PM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Compressed air is the right answer.
Water can cause problem, so beware!

Salim
Old 05-06-02, 04:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by salimshah
Compressed air is the right answer.
Water can cause problem, so beware!

Salim
Please explain.

Oh, BTW, Ken, I edited for picture for size; I was scrolling to the east as far as the Outer Banks of NC to read the thread text.
Old 05-06-02, 07:41 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

No problem Dex.. Should of seen the first picture I posted.. It was 1600 X 1200.. LOL.. Thanks for the quick edit!

Ken
Old 05-06-02, 09:43 AM
salimshah

Received 1,001 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally posted by Dex

Please explain.

Oh, BTW, Ken, I edited for picture for size; I was scrolling to the east as far as the Outer Banks of NC to read the thread text.
If the engine is HOT, dosing it with cold water can cause certain things to crack. Water mist is about the most you should do.

With the engine COLD, you need to ensure that it does not get into electronics or electrical equipment. Most of the stuff has some sort of water proofing but not for a direct sharp stream.
The insulation/isolation is compromised. One never knows if the damage is going to be permanent or temp (till the water evaporates). Expect water to pool in small flat areas and recessess.

Things to watch out would be
Thermal stress,
electrical stuff
electronics and sensors
air intake
and
water spots that would appear in places that are hard to reach.

So the best thing is put on safety glasses and used compressed air to blow the dirt off.

Salim
Old 05-06-02, 09:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by salimshah

If the engine is HOT, dosing it with cold water can cause certain things to crack. Water mist is about the most you should do.

With the engine COLD, you need to ensure that it does not get into electronics or electrical equipment. Most of the stuff has some sort of water proofing but not for a direct sharp stream.
The insulation/isolation is compromised. One never knows if the damage is going to be permanent or temp (till the water evaporates). Expect water to pool in small flat areas and recessess.

Things to watch out would be
Thermal stress,
electrical stuff
electronics and sensors
air intake
and
water spots that would appear in places that are hard to reach.

So the best thing is put on safety glasses and used compressed air to blow the dirt off.

Salim
Good points I guess.

I was assuming that most of us aren't stupid enough to hose down a hot engine with cold hose water, or pour it into the intake or electrical areas.

I didn't mean to convey that I pressure washed the engine bay; just a good rinse off.

I also you the water pressure to clean out the areas in front of the radiator and splash guard area too.

Quick Reply: How to Detail an Engine Bay??