GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VVT System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 06:12 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VVT System Malfunction

so i had a check engine light for 2 o2 sensors and vvt malfunction P1349.
I just changed both sensors and now i still have the p1349. How can I fix this because it is not safe not having traction control.

Last edited by LudeNsoL; 11-01-09 at 06:20 AM. Reason: search
Old 11-01-09, 06:20 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

p1349 VVT System Malfunction
Old 11-01-09, 04:48 PM
Clifton
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is safe without traction control. People have been driving for years without it. As for the code, did you reset it with the scanner? Is it a 300 or 400? I had vvt problems on my wifes 400, PITA.
Old 11-01-09, 07:28 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

i have the same code on my gs400 as we speak, i have been researching and found what i think is the culprit. a small filter located in the head by the vvti gear known as the ocv (oil control valve) and if it gets clogged due to sludge it will not read the correct oil pressure and will give a code as well as rough idle. im trying to find the exact location and as soon as i do ill let you all know.
Old 11-01-09, 08:22 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

ok thanks i hope its not something big. and my car doesn't even idle weird. also its a 300. hopefully we can fix this. i also read it could be a filter that goes on the drain oil plug.
Old 11-01-09, 08:43 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

lol Confusing your acronyms there Lude....

VVT = Variable Valve Timing. Hence it being an oil control issue or such as it is an engine issue with valve timing system.

VSC = vehicle stability control or 'traction control'.

and seriously, the GS is no steam train, im pretty sure if your VSC broke you should be able to handle it haha
Old 11-01-09, 08:44 PM
Clifton
Rookie

I don't know about the 300's but on the 400's the screens are easy to clean just a pain to get too. You can do it with out removing the cam sprockets (I did it when I did the timing belt) but you will have to loosen the bolts and slide them forward to get the front camshaft bearing cap off. If you want, shoot me a PM with your email addy and I can send you a pdf of the fsm with the cylinder head component breakdown.
Old 11-01-09, 08:47 PM
Clifton
Rookie

Originally Posted by [ant]
lol Confusing your acronyms there Lude....

VVT = Variable Valve Timing. Hence it being an oil control issue or such as it is an engine issue with valve timing system.

VSC = vehicle stability control or 'traction control'.

and seriously, the GS is no steam train, im pretty sure if your VSC broke you should be able to handle it haha

I think he is referring to the fact that when the vvt code is thrown, the vsc light comes on too.
Old 11-01-09, 08:51 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

ah right fair enough, havent had it myself. does it actually disable VSC tho? prob not?
Old 11-01-09, 09:07 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clifton
I think he is referring to the fact that when the vvt code is thrown, the vsc light comes on too.
yea thats what I am referring to. I CAN drive with VSC off but with winter coming real soon and me living in NY and this car as my daily I need every little bit of traction I can get. When i clear the CEL the VSC light goes off then when the CEL comes back on the VSC comes on at the same time.
Old 11-01-09, 09:20 PM
spliffygs4
Driver School Candidate

wow this seems like a very common problem with GS's because my 98 gs400 is doing the same thing. its weird because the lights went off the other day by itself and then just came back on again, its kinda fustrating because the car will idle weird when i stop and sometimes it acts normal. funny car lol
Old 11-01-09, 09:23 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

yea thats weird but I don't understand my car doesn't idle weird at all. Or do anything different, drives great.
Old 11-02-09, 04:45 AM
Clifton
Rookie

Mine threw the code with vsc light atleast 20 times before I got around to doing the belt and vvt screens. I never noticed a difference in the way it ran. I just hated having the check and vsc lights on. Mine would come on during a drive. The memoscan scaners will tell you when the code occurred. I checked one time and it was steady state cruise around 2000 rpms. If the vvt sensor pics up that the cam isn't where it should be when it should be it will through the code. The vvt may work fine after the code or just is too slow to return to where it should be.

Oil control valve and front bearing cap

Oil control valve screen
Old 11-02-09, 05:28 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clifton, I'm assuming we have one on each side of our 400's? I'm wondering how time consuming it is to change each one, and do we need to remove the cams for this install?
Old 11-02-09, 01:26 PM
Clifton
Rookie

It took about 5 hours to do the timing belt, new plugs, and screens. I don't know how long for just the screens. You don't need to remove the cams, just the front bearing caps. if you do it make sure you are at TDC just in case you drop the sprocket and belt. The cam sprockets needs to be loosened and moved forward to clear the bearing cover. Just don't remove the bolts all the way when doing it. There wasn't much planning on there oil screen. I've seen other Toyota engines where there is a plug that is easily accessible but not on these. If someone wants more pdf pics I can send them.

Quick Reply: VVT System Malfunction