GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: which tint should i go with for black/black lexus gs400
black (classic)
81.30%
mirror (new&hot)
13.01%
other
5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 03:15 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tint

heh.. well i passed my inspection (without tint) so now time to put new tint

i have a black/black lexus gs400

any suggestions? i really like that mirror tint.. i'm not quite sure if its goin look nice on my lexus but i really really really want it i know black would looks nice but somehow i really want that mirror tint anyway..

my question would be.. what do you guys think? which tint should i go with? black or mirror and which brand should i ask for and what do i need to know about tinting cars.. i never tint my car before, i bought it tinted 5% limo style all 5 windows
Old 04-14-02, 09:09 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tint

I wouldn't go mirror...not really Lexus style (I am assuming you are talking about that half mirror half black tint). I have just the classic black done and at certain angles looks mirrored. I don't have the front too dark, but I got the back doors and backlight done darker. I also have a black interior...that helps to make the tint look darker than it really is, yet if I get pulled over and the "ring" out my front doors they'll come up legal (or at least very close) you can check out pics in the gallery, photos # 820, 821 and 822 (yeah I'm too lazy to give you the full url...it's late and I have work tomorrow).
Old 04-14-02, 09:25 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say here in Hawaii the sun is always shinning and the heat is killz. The tint that I have on my car is a film that has metal in it, but its not mirrored looking. The tint is rated at 10%, meaning it only allows 10% light through.
I don't really like the mirrored look, so I have to say go with the black look...
Old 04-15-02, 01:42 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Talking

I have black metal tint on my GS...but I recently got the Dark mirror tint on my truck and NSX. I like the look a lot. it looks like a graphite tint in most conditions. I was sold on the fact that even with 20% (illegal in Texas ) it still is very clear and it is supposed to be the most heat reflective tint. I don't think however it will look good on a dark car. Both my Tacoma and NSX are Silver. my GS is Jade.
Old 04-15-02, 06:44 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey

What's up gs400trd?

This is Ryan...have the Silver GS in Houson with the Carbon Fiber Borlas (well had, trading them).

trd? Did you do some more to your car? I think I remember you saying that you were done modding.

Take it easy.
Old 04-15-02, 09:32 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Are you talking about my tint? Check it out in my signature. I think it looks good.
Old 04-16-02, 10:24 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Default Re: Hey

Not much.
You are right. No more mods for the GS. I have been spending too much time at work. plus I like the NSX better. I can see the FLAMES now. But like everyone knows: you can't compare apples to Oranges. The NSX is a TRUE sports/drivers car. The GS is a LuxoSports sedan. The Tacoma is the Best compact Truck...just thought I would throw that out there too
Originally posted by AgGS400
What's up gs400trd?

This is Ryan...have the Silver GS in Houson with the Carbon Fiber Borlas (well had, trading them).

trd? Did you do some more to your car? I think I remember you saying that you were done modding.

Take it easy.
Old 04-16-02, 07:24 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the type of tint depends on what color car you have. I think that most look better with the black tint, but silver looks better with the mirror tint and cinnibar looks better with the bronze tint.

What color is your GS?

Last edited by UTGS400; 04-16-02 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 05:40 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Default Re: tint

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I wouldn't go mirror...not really Lexus style (I am assuming you are talking about that half mirror half black tint). I have just the classic black done and at certain angles looks mirrored. I don't have the front too dark, but I got the back doors and backlight done darker. I also have a black interior...that helps to make the tint look darker than it really is, yet if I get pulled over and the "ring" out my front doors they'll come up legal (or at least very close) you can check out pics in the gallery, photos # 820, 821 and 822 (yeah I'm too lazy to give you the full url...it's late and I have work tomorrow).
i see you in new york.. i saw your car in gallery but i didn't relalized that's it's you

i'm kinda surprised to see you ... moderator in new york heh this is pretty cool!

pictures of yor car.. where did you take 'em?

looks like um.. long island or somethin'

anyway as a tint.. my previouse lexus had 5% everywhere exept front window..

black sure nice no question about it but i *really* want that mirror tint it looks *so* good, i'm not sure how good will it actually look on black car... but my car had either has a factory tint or previouse owner install it .. basically it's very light mirror tint... looks sure nice

oh and here is urls if someone else wants to check it out

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph...x.pl?photo=820
https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph...x.pl?photo=821
https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph...x.pl?photo=822
Old 04-17-02, 05:48 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by gsnav
Are you talking about my tint? Check it out in my signature. I think it looks good.
would that be possible for you to take closer picture of windows (without you in reflection ) so that i can see better

but your car is grey.. if i had grey car i wouldn't even think twice on which tint to put on it it'd be mirror tint for sure
Old 04-18-02, 06:18 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Not Long Island

a1exus,

I've been on CL almost since the very start, so it made sense for me to want to get involved...besides my wife works for Lexus. The pics are not from LI, its in front of my house. I'm from Westchester.
Old 04-18-02, 07:14 AM
alexus
Pole Position

ahh upstate nice nice
Old 04-18-02, 07:27 AM
alexus
Pole Position

i went to tinting place today..

the thing is that they have classics tint up to 5%
but mirror tint isn't that dark..
are they all like this ? or its just lack of their stock?

he showed me 37% on GS300 and he said that he has 17% which was a little bit more darker but he showed me as a peace of tint not on the car..

but i want darker (i dont want people to able to see anythin in my car at all)

thanks again for all your input guys
Old 04-18-02, 07:41 AM
lil'redgs400
Driver School Candidate

For what its worth, I'll give my 2 cents

I just got my gs back from the tinting place yesterday and it looks great.

The film is called Platinum and its made by Llumar.

Its sorta subtle silver look... and on my Cinnabar color its looks pretty good. I had to get 20% tho so its not too dark (gotta be careful because of Alabama's 32% law)

Hope that helps
Old 04-18-02, 05:23 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Well I got a good look at both the truck and the nsx in bright light...man do the tints look like mirrors No one can see inside in the sun...however in the shade it is a bit easier to see in unless I have the winshield sunblocker on then it is quite difficult. on the Gs the 5% rear section is hard to see into But I really don't think the silver would look hot on any car except silver or maybe black.

Originally posted by a1exus
i went to tinting place today..

the thing is that they have classics tint up to 5%
but mirror tint isn't that dark..
are they all like this ? or its just lack of their stock?

he showed me 37% on GS300 and he said that he has 17% which was a little bit more darker but he showed me as a peace of tint not on the car..

but i want darker (i dont want people to able to see anythin in my car at all)

thanks again for all your input guys

Quick Reply: tint