GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DRL Defeat Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 03:54 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRGS400nSoCali
I have a 98 gs400 and my DRLs seem to be the headlights (low beam). As soon as I turn the key to the ON position these damn things come on. Anyone got any suggestions for me. By the way, there is NO DIFFERNCE in the dimness or brightness of the LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS from when they turn on when the key in in the ON position and when the headlights are on.

I thought 98's didn't come with the DRL's? I thought that option became available in 99 only?!
Old 12-30-06, 12:39 PM
MJK
Rookie

Originally Posted by wwest
First, let me express my reluctance in advising anyone on how to disable DRLs since I sincerely feel they contribute some level of additional safety factor for all of us.

In this case I put that in balance with the fact that the Lexus DRL circuit will undoubtedly cause premature failure of the high beam bulbs, creating something of hazardous circumstance of itsself.

I would also like to state that these instructions only apply, for certain, to the MY2000 GS300.

Go to the relay/fuse block/panel mounted just forward of the battery and remove the 30 Amp fuse labelled "DRL NO. 2" , the fuse closest to the starter relay. Now fabricate and use a wire jumper to connect the low, load, side of this fuse socket to the low, load, side of the 30 Amp fuse labelled "DRL NO. 1", the third fuse "slot" from the starter relay. In both cases the low, load, side is the one toward the front of the car.

I used Radio Shack automotive blade type fuse taps, #270-1204, to bridge, connect, into the low side of the now unoccupied drl #2 position, and a modified fuse tap to connect, alongside the fuse itsself, to the low side of drl #1 fuse. This particular fuse tap is too thick to fit into the socket along with the fuse "prong".

You might want to check the current condition of your high beam bulbs when you do this and replace them if there appears to be a substantial level of "soot" on the interior of the glass encapsulation. At about 10k miles on my RX300 the glass encapsulation was actually showing signs of the glass melting just above the filament due to long periods of operation at sub-specification DRL voltages (less than 6 Volts).

THis is fantastic advice, thanks wwest! Worked like a charm on my 02 GS4 and I could not be happier. I also replaced my sooty high bulbs with silverstar ultras and there is a BIG difference. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-07, 09:20 PM
michael200
Driver

Default WWEST is the Man.

The jumper wire trick from WWEST worked great on my 2000 GS4. No more DRL's, no warning light, and low/high beams work fine. I used a short piece of copper-braid wire (a.k.a. solder-wick) to make the jumper. The solder-wick is thin, flat, and flexible, and fits nicely next to the fuse blade. I placed a dummy (burned out) fuse back in the DRL-2 slot to facilitate holding the jumper wire.
Old 08-26-07, 05:26 AM
dl5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great at advice! bananags's bar trick didn't work for me, but this did! confirmed on a 99 gs3!
The following users liked this post:
N3V3S (03-10-24)
Old 08-27-07, 07:05 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, blast from the past! Like to add, I haven't touched my jumper since 02...still hangin on. wwest...you still around? Thanx again.
Old 08-27-07, 08:48 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL...well after I studied the diagrams it seems there is a wire from the parking brake to the DRL main relay. When the parking brake is applied the DRL's do not light. When the park brake is released and that wire is grounded, the DRLs come on. SO...just figure out where that wire is and snip it. Should work...remind me to look for it lol.
Old 08-27-07, 10:23 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks
LOL...well after I studied the diagrams it seems there is a wire from the parking brake to the DRL main relay. When the parking brake is applied the DRL's do not light. When the park brake is released and that wire is grounded, the DRLs come on. SO...just figure out where that wire is and snip it. Should work...remind me to look for it lol.
I wish there was a simple way to wire a kill switch, as i dont want my DRL's on at night sometimes when im parked, with the engine on. And I dont want to have to turn off the engine, apply the parking brake, and then start the engine again to get rid of them.

THey should have at least made the DRL's turn off whenever the parkign brake is applied.
Old 02-18-08, 09:24 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great directions and a Great DIY!

Originally Posted by wwest
First, let me express my reluctance in advising anyone on how to disable DRLs since I sincerely feel they contribute some level of additional safety factor for all of us.

In this case I put that in balance with the fact that the Lexus DRL circuit will undoubtedly cause premature failure of the high beam bulbs, creating something of hazardous circumstance of itsself.

I would also like to state that these instructions only apply, for certain, to the MY2000 GS300.

Go to the relay/fuse block/panel mounted just forward of the battery and remove the 30 Amp fuse labelled "DRL NO. 2" , the fuse closest to the starter relay. Now fabricate and use a wire jumper to connect the low, load, side of this fuse socket to the low, load, side of the 30 Amp fuse labelled "DRL NO. 1", the third fuse "slot" from the starter relay. In both cases the low, load, side is the one toward the front of the car.

I used Radio Shack automotive blade type fuse taps, #270-1204, to bridge, connect, into the low side of the now unoccupied drl #2 position, and a modified fuse tap to connect, alongside the fuse itsself, to the low side of drl #1 fuse. This particular fuse tap is too thick to fit into the socket along with the fuse "prong".

You might want to check the current condition of your high beam bulbs when you do this and replace them if there appears to be a substantial level of "soot" on the interior of the glass encapsulation. At about 10k miles on my RX300 the glass encapsulation was actually showing signs of the glass melting just above the filament due to long periods of operation at sub-specification DRL voltages (less than 6 Volts).
Ah, finally, I am rid of those DRL's! The directions worked perfectly!
So far the best DIY on my car.
Thanks again wwest!
Old 02-24-13, 12:28 AM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much wwest... good job
Old 04-02-13, 08:10 PM
Bad99GS400
Driver School Candidate

great quick and easy mod! appreciate it guys! any idea how to kill my third brake light in my 99 gs400? i'm a stereo junkie and want to build a custom rear deck without the light. any and all help/suggestions are welcomed and appreciated
Old 03-10-24, 08:42 AM
N3V3S
1st Gear

Default Drl

Originally Posted by Kbueno
wwest: Thank-you once again...The operation was a success..the drls are gone! I owe you one. Hopefully my wiring will hold up under the tremendous g-forces associated with my driving. Now those ticket-happy city and chp cops will have to look a little harder to spot me.

Peace

which method did you use