GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Auto Up-Down Windows....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 01:25 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Up-Down Windows....

I have a 00 GS4 and my drivers side Auto Window Roll up feature rolls the window up.....then back down half way. Is this a timing issue that needs to be reprogrammed or is the switch or module defective?

Auto ROLL DOWN on the Driver's side front window works fine, its just the Roll UP that is goofy.

Only the Driver's side front window has this issue, the other ones work fine in AUTO roll up or down mode.

I tried searching for this topic, but couldnt pin point anything. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-09-09, 02:53 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wacky Window

Each door has its own computer inside the door. According to the service manual, if window goes up but comes down. You have several things that can be defective.

1. An obstruction which causes the window to sense that it must come down or it will pinch a hand in it. This is the anti-pinch feature. This would be in the guide, something along the track that is causing too much resistance. Lube the track with some grease, check the regulator isn't stuck. The motor could be going bad and causing resistance. Compare the speed with the other door.

2. The driver door ECU is bad. Take one out of the other door. Hook it up and see if it still does it.

3. There is a power window motor reset limit switch. You can reset the limit switch. Make sure motor is connected. Rotate the motor 6 to 10 turns or for 4-5 seconds moving in the up direction. This will set the limit switch to OFF or Top Dead Center.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-09, 11:39 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Thanks for your response.

I compared the speed of both front windows on Auto Roll down and both of them rolled DOWN the same time. On the way UP, the Drivers side was just a TAD slower than the Passenger one.

Even when I "helped" the Drivers window a little bit with my hand before it shuts it still rolled up all the way, and then changed directions and rolled back down half way.

I can get the Drivers side window to roll up fine if I DO NOT use the AUTO Roll UP feature, but by just manually holding the switch.

Im pretty sure its not #1 because the window is not binding.

I hope its not # 2.....LOL.

Can you explain # 3 please. Im a bit confused about the rotate the motor 6 to 10 turns. Do I do this manually by taking the door panel off, or using the switch and just tapping it?
Old 08-10-09, 11:24 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tony, can't help you out but wanted to welcome a new member from MN!
Old 08-10-09, 04:51 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Tony, can't help you out but wanted to welcome a new member from MN!
Hey fellow MN GS owner. Thanks for the warm welcome. I ran into another member, L-Denut, or something like that at FULL BLOWN Motorsports. He was getting his GS400 dynoed.

Text or hit me up sometime. It would be nice to meet other fellow MN GS owners before the SNOW falls.....lol.

Ill PM you my number.

Anyone else have any ideas about the AUTO ROLL UP issue Im having?
Old 08-10-09, 07:28 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes well this is straight from the service manual. Sometimes the translation from Japanese to English is sketchy. I would first try to move window to up postion using manual mode and hold the switch for an extra 4-5 seconds. To rotate the motor manually I would think would involve removing the door panel and thus getting to the motor to rotate manually.
Old 08-11-09, 12:36 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spray silicone lube on the rubber around the glass .