GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 06:12 AM
01GS430
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raytseng
Be sure to clarify if you're talking about engine air filter or the
cabin A/C air filter.

My previous post is only about the cabin air filter.
For the engine air filter, the replacement schedule is 30k miles. Even parts companies like FRAM who try to get you to overmaintain your car say the air filter is good for 12k miles.
Any competent shop will inspect this during your car's regular maintenance-even jiffy lube or other oilchange places check this. In comparison many places skip inspecting the cabin filter as this is not critical filter but a comfort one.

Don't take it personally, but based on your original posts, I'm not sure if you are properly determining if it "looks" dirty or if it really is dirty. Engine air filters can quickly pick up dirt and look grey/black or sooty but is still operating properly. In some aspects the used air filter is actually filtering and protecting better as some of the larger holes are closed (such as in the case of filters such as K&N).

Highway miles is irrelevant, unless your highway is a dirt highway or your highway goes around the coal mining site, or you're driving through swarms of flys and locusts.

All this being said, for engine air filter, I would use the OEM toyota part on my car, it's not expensive and comparable in price to generic parts. Based on posts I've read, I'd say the K&N probably has potential negatives and no positives-especially f you have no other engine mods on your car. I would not use a K&N on my car even if it was free.
Sure my post count is low but i am very active on dodgeforum. I know that oiled filter tend to gunk up the maf on toyota/lexus. My brother vacuumed the filter and still have some dirt that is hard to get it off. The condition for the filter is okay. My father use lexus for business and pleasure which means most miles are highway and can be over 300 miles a day sometime everywhere for business work.

For the cabin filter, I still haven't talk to him yet because the moment isn't right yet. I think i am going for diy provided in the faq and ill tell you guys how it goes. The cabin filter has about 90k on it and A/c used every single day. I get the horrible smell from it. My father dont know many things about cars like i do but he knows basic of it.

Last edited by 01GS430; 07-25-09 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 01:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

purolater makes a OEM carbon activated charcoal filter for cheap i posted it on here...

the c35518 get it from advance
Old 07-30-09, 01:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by humanoid
There is no Amsoil air filter available for the 2GS. Best cabin filter would be the OEM kind.
Search the DIY thread sticky for Cabin Filter how to.

Depending on the material chosen, you could meet/exceed the OEM filter capability and save $$.
Old 07-30-09, 01:58 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
K&N is garbage. Skip that. I have seen independent lab tests from a friend who does this on a daily basis. I have seen every kind of filter tested. K&N is crap that allows more shiat into your engine. Why do you think it flows better? It flows better and also lets in debris that can wear at your piston rings. Forget that.

I only get Napa brand filters. Whether it be oil, air or cabin. But you have to make sure you get the Gold line, as that line is made by Wix, and Wix makes some of the best stuff out there.

Cabin filter I jsut changed was like 20 bucks, why bother wasting time vacuuming it out. Just throw and replace.

Please provide links, post data, etc. to your independent lab tests.

Thanks