GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rims and Various upgrades advice for a stock gs300

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 06:46 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rims and Various upgrades advice for a stock gs300

Hello, I have had a silver 2001 gs300 for a year now, and finally I decided to do some upgrades. First off I desperately need new tires, but since im doing that I might as well get new rims too. Will 20" rims fit without do any suspension mods or fender mods??? If not will 18's fit without mods??? also planning on:
Smoked tailights (do the stickons last/ able to be applied without bubbles?
black projector/halo ebay lights
hks hi power exhaust (Does the 400 model fit on the 300 without mods)?
srt intake (is the ecu upgrade easy for a novice)?
getting a bazooka tube hooked in to the stock head unit (can bestbuy do this or do I need a real professional LOL)?

Last edited by BigClexus; 11-23-15 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 09:18 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to the Club. Keep an eye on the classifieds.
Old 03-08-09, 03:18 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigClexus
Hello, I have had a silver 2001 gs300 for a year now, and finally I decided to do some upgrades. First off I desperately need new tires, but since im doing that I might as well get new rims too. Will 20" rims fit without do any suspension mods or fender mods??? If not will 18's fit without mods??? also planning on:
  • Smoked tailights (do the stickons last/ able to be applied without bubbles?
  • black projector/halo ebay lights
  • hks hi power exhaust (Does the 400 model fit on the 300 without mods)?
  • srt intake (is the ecu upgrade easy for a novice)?
  • getting a bazooka tube hooked in to the stock head unit (can bestbuy do this or do I need a real professional LOL)?
Mmm...smoked tails are illegal most places..*if* you are going to get them done do it right and find a body shop that will do it (spray application) for you, looks much better that way.

Can't comment on the Ebay lights but most cheap projectors have really bad light output, may be worse than saving the money and just upgrading to a fresh set of factory hid lights. I know people on this forum have used them though so you should be able to search and find out what people think.

Hks Hi-Power exhaust is just a rear section exhaust, you won't see much for gains except a louder exhaust. Try finding a Tanabe Touring Medallion, Greddy etc...that is a full catback. That way you will get the performance and sound.

Srt intake is a great choice, if you can handle a radio install (soldering) then you could do the ecu install.

As far as stereo work, go to a *real* place, Best Buy is garbage. Find your local "high end" ausio shop and see what they say, usually prices arent much more than Best Buy.

GET 20's, 18's look tiny on GS's, trust me, you want 20's and factor in some springs so you can get rid of the wheel gap. Springs are for sale in the classifieds all the time, should be easy to find some.
Old 03-08-09, 07:56 AM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
Mmm...smoked tails are illegal most places..*if* you are going to get them done do it right and find a body shop that will do it (spray application) for you, looks much better that way.

Can't comment on the Ebay lights but most cheap projectors have really bad light output, may be worse than saving the money and just upgrading to a fresh set of factory hid lights. I know people on this forum have used them though so you should be able to search and find out what people think.

Hks Hi-Power exhaust is just a rear section exhaust, you won't see much for gains except a louder exhaust. Try finding a Tanabe Touring Medallion, Greddy etc...that is a full catback. That way you will get the performance and sound.

Srt intake is a great choice, if you can handle a radio install (soldering) then you could do the ecu install.

As far as stereo work, go to a *real* place, Best Buy is garbage. Find your local "high end" ausio shop and see what they say, usually prices arent much more than Best Buy.

GET 20's, 18's look tiny on GS's, trust me, you want 20's and factor in some springs so you can get rid of the wheel gap. Springs are for sale in the classifieds all the time, should be easy to find some.

lol good advice /thread
Old 03-08-09, 08:44 AM
BigClexus
Rookie

Default Wow

Originally Posted by macd7919

Thank you so much this was exactly the info I was looking for. I dont have endless money to work with here, but at the same time I dont want to throw away the money I have for the car. Once again thank you this was a big help.
Old 03-08-09, 10:26 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey there Calvin, welcome to Club Lexus
Old 03-08-09, 10:30 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the club! Like darknight said, keep an eye out!

Picked these up for a BARGAIN!

Old 03-08-09, 03:58 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Nice rims!!!
Old 03-08-09, 09:47 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste your money going with cheap parts. Save your money and buy quality piece as you have the funds. This site is a great place for tips, advice, and any help you may need.
Old 03-09-09, 09:22 AM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the spray on tint is no good the vynil is better usually places that do window tinting do it .
Old 03-09-09, 12:23 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 718LS430
the spray on tint is no good the vynil is better usually places that do window tinting do it .
I'm not taking about "Nite Shades" or the other stuff you buy at Pep Boys/Advance Auto, I'm talking about a professionally applied product at a body shop using a paint gun etc...