GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

K2 Hid 8000k

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 04:51 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by a1exus
dude

i took mine out of retail box

they not painted, they clearly transperent

Yeah, K2s come with transparent bulbs. I'm just saying that some companies out there will paint their bulbs. Don't get me wrong, the K2s are pretty reliable, but the ballasts just aren't the same build quality as the German or some of the Japanese ballasts. I guess you could compare them like Toyota vs. Lexus--both are reliable brands, but Lexus has the higher build. The difference being that the bulb will most likely outlive the ballast in the K2, whereas the ballast will most definitely outlive the bulb in the Philips. This isn't a real issue however as most bulbs have a lifespan of 3000+ hours and often outlive the cars they are installed in.

Which K2 kit did you buy? The 'Crystal white' kit is extremely purple-tinted in real life unlike the advertised picture they have on their site This reduces illumination a lot, I have comparison pics of K2 projectors vs. Philips reflectors somewhere on my computer. I'll have to dig them up.
Old 03-09-02, 05:45 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

In the automotive lighting world, 6000K, 8000K etc refers to Kelving a measure of color temperature.

Regarding brightness it is referred to as wattage and is labeled like so 6K, 8K, 12K "k" refering to thousands....
Old 03-09-02, 07:49 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jahummer
In the automotive lighting world, 6000K, 8000K etc refers to Kelving a measure of color temperature.

Regarding brightness it is referred to as wattage and is labeled like so 6K, 8K, 12K "k" refering to thousands....

Sorry, but I must correct you here. Wattage is a power rating based on the product of amperes(variable) times volts (constant). Wattage is related to, but has no absolute bearing on brightness. (55w halogen is not brighter than 35w hid). Capital "K" always stands for Kelvin (unless you're talking about physics in which case it is a quantitative value). Lower case "k" is universal for kilo or thousands of (you are correct there). Brightness is always measured in lumens, ANSI (American National Standards Institute) is the organization that standardizes this measure. K is never a measure of brightness, this is a large fallacy that many manufacturers manipulate.
Old 03-10-02, 05:14 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

here is a few shots, i didn't really made them nice or anything, i was very late for the party so i only took 4 shots, i'm going take few more in couple of days and post more pictures
Attached Thumbnails K2 Hid 8000k-p3090010.jpg  
Old 03-10-02, 05:16 AM
alexus
Pole Position

here is another one
Attached Thumbnails K2 Hid 8000k-p3090011.jpg  
Old 03-10-02, 05:17 AM
alexus
Pole Position

and another one
Attached Thumbnails K2 Hid 8000k-p3090012.jpg  
Old 03-10-02, 05:18 AM
alexus
Pole Position

and here is last one
Attached Thumbnails K2 Hid 8000k-p3090013.jpg  
Old 03-10-02, 05:19 AM
alexus
Pole Position

heh.. you won't belive it.. but the one that is day lights.. was actually blue comparting to the stock one... now *they* look yelow hehe
Old 03-10-02, 05:21 AM
alexus
Pole Position

oh let me just say few words about install

it wasn't easy.. that's for sure..

it was TOO D A M N EASY

the whole install took about 5 minutes, i took my old bulbs out, i desided where those modules going to be i put them there, then i put new bulbs in and that is it!

no drillin, no wiring, no nothing

too easy, i though its goin be somethin toughter.. but this is a retail kit made for any as dumber consumer as they can get..
Old 03-10-02, 05:24 AM
alexus
Pole Position

little comparing

at night to the party yesterday i'm stoping by at the street light

where is is m-benz s500 next to me with new body probably year 2000+ the lady in the car couldn't understand why are my lights are so bright she lift her butt up to see what the hell is going on! my lights were at least twice more brigher than hers! this is awesome!
Old 03-10-02, 05:33 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Originally posted by lex400sc

Sorry, but I must correct you here. Wattage is a power rating based on the product of amperes(variable) times volts (constant). Wattage is related to, but has no absolute bearing on brightness. (55w halogen is not brighter than 35w hid). Capital "K" always stands for Kelvin (unless you're talking about physics in which case it is a quantitative value). Lower case "k" is universal for kilo or thousands of (you are correct there). Brightness is always measured in lumens, ANSI (American National Standards Institute) is the organization that standardizes this measure. K is never a measure of brightness, this is a large fallacy that many manufacturers manipulate.
But isn't Kelvin a reference to the color temperaure scale or spectrum or light wavelength? And isn't brightness measure in Foot Lamberts?

Also, I was in error when refering to Wattage as brightness. The point I was trying to make was that "K" was for Kelvin/color temperature & "k" was for thousands as in a 12k HMI which referes to a 12,000 Watt instrument.

Last edited by jahummer; 03-10-02 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-10-02, 05:37 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Originally posted by a1exus
oh let me just say few words about install

it wasn't easy.. that's for sure..

it was TOO D A M N EASY

the whole install took about 5 minutes, i took my old bulbs out, i desided where those modules going to be i put them there, then i put new bulbs in and that is it!

no drillin, no wiring, no nothing

too easy, i though its goin be somethin toughter.. but this is a retail kit made for any as dumber consumer as they can get..
So as I understand it, you went from stock halogen to HID. Do you know if they are beam pattern correct, have the correct focus and how to you level them? What did the kit come with and where do you buy it?
Old 03-10-02, 05:47 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by jahummer

So as I understand it, you went from stock halogen to HID. Do you know if they are beam pattern correct, have the correct focus and how to you level them? What did the kit come with and where do you buy it?
i used to have stock halogen, then i bought "fake" xenon lights (HID) from japan, that was 130/170 .. and that wasn't enough for me.. 'cause once some dude pulled on his real HID even though mine looks bright.. but not as brigher as real HID, so i said hell with it, i'm geting real HID.. so when i was puting my new HID i took out my japanese bulbs. so it wasn't from stock halogen to HID

as for beam pattern, i'm not quite sure but even if they not in focus you can see at least two blocks and a half with them

there is only one way they can fight into head lights so i would assume they already pointed them where they has to aim

and when i was unscrewing my fog lights (i was curiose to see what kind of bulb type its there (it's 9006 for anyone who care) they had some gears, i guess that's for leveling..

where do I buy them? I have someone who sold them to me, if you interested PM me and i'll arange another kit for you.
Old 03-10-02, 08:26 AM
alexus
Pole Position

some feedback please
Old 03-10-02, 08:46 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mean to be pickey but could you take a pic from like 20ft away a little off center to see if your camera can pick up the hue from down field? Thanks. Oh yea in the dark.

Quick Reply: K2 Hid 8000k