GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New pics- leatherique is the bomb (plus a few others) *no 56K*

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 06:41 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it came out great. I know what my next chore is now
Old 01-03-09, 08:49 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow that is nice!
Old 01-03-09, 08:53 AM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry i didn't read all the comments, but color is your car? Not that it matters cuz the burnt orange is tight!
Old 01-03-09, 09:19 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by augdogg
Sorry i didn't read all the comments, but color is your car? Not that it matters cuz the burnt orange is tight!
Its Black Onyx 202 (for him)
Old 01-03-09, 11:31 AM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

Very impressive! Thanks a lot for the writeup. I'll have to look into this, I haven't really found a leather care product I can really trust yet. And my leather is starting to get a little rough, its the platinum leather (I believe to be different) so I want to make sure I preserve it as much as I can.

Thanks alot, where did you pick it up from?

-Jackson
Old 01-03-09, 11:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys thanks for all of the comments so far...greatly appreciate the kind words!

Here is the link to buy the product from Chris@GlimmerGlass who is a great member here:

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/leather-care.html

He had a kit that had both leatherique products in it but I cannot seem to find it. I highly recommend it, and Chris!
Old 01-03-09, 02:14 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have a GS430 with black "normal" leather and tried Leatherique several times and it did not make the leather any softer or suppler, doubt anything penetrated the "protective" coating so it was not able to work.
That's what I was afraid of, the leatherique isn't exactly cheap and I don't want to spend that much if it's not gonna work.

I'd be interested to see more feedback from any other 2GS guys that try this.

My leather isn't perforated like the OP's, that's why I wonder if there's a difference in the type of leather as well that could affect the results of the treatment.
Old 01-03-09, 05:57 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Thats a beautiful interior Nice job! and thanks for posting

Originally Posted by Rezaxxed
I have to give that a try. Anybody got a link on here somewhere? And somebody mentioned that we 15% off? Wow. We should post a thread with a finish product on a tan interior so we can get a close comparison. Before and after pic would be nice.
Heres a link to the leatherique package as well. Discount code is below
Old 01-03-09, 09:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
That's what I was afraid of, the leatherique isn't exactly cheap and I don't want to spend that much if it's not gonna work.

I'd be interested to see more feedback from any other 2GS guys that try this.

My leather isn't perforated like the OP's, that's why I wonder if there's a difference in the type of leather as well that could affect the results of the treatment.
I tried a bunch of different things to try and soften up my disappointing hard waxy leather in my GS. Cleaned with woolite water mixture, used Mequirs leather conditioner, then Griots Leather Conditioner and then Griots Rejuvinator(smells very good/leatherlike though), Zaino Z10. Did a few Leatherique treatments with heated up interior and did not really soften but did seem to clean them up a little better.

I finally was about to give up and found a pretty rare product on the internet called Surflex Sofner which is very similar to Leatherique but a little thicker and seems more concentrated and you don't need a seperate Pristine clean in the process as you just use warm water and a rag to get the product off. It is much less expensive then Leatherique and maybe a little better but you don't get as much in the can. After thoroughly scrubbing the leather and concentrating more on some of the hard waxy parts with Wolfgang citrus based leather cleaner and cautiously with some diluted soft scrub(I don't recommend because it can take the pigment out of the GS leather if you are not careful) I liberally applied the Surflex Sofner all over the leather and then put saran wrap/garbage bags around the leather to seal it in and parked it out in the hot sun for a few days. It did seem to soften some parts of the leather(or synthetic protectant top layer) up just a very little but not much at all and many areas of the leather are still disappointing to the touch. From what I understand earlier Lexus models like the LS400 had a different type of leather and protectant that was much easier to condition and soften and responded well to careful cleaning with softscrub and then treating with Leatherique or Surflex.

If I were you I would skip all the other leather stuff for trying to soften up your leather and try a can of the Surflex Sofner which is much cheaper then the Leatherique process, you may end up using a whole can for one thorough process so you may want to order another can or two just in case, in my experience it worked the best but don't expect it to be a miracle product with GS leather because it is pretty much impossible to noticeably soften up GS leather because of a horrible sealant they put on the leather. You definitely want to leave your car out in the hot sun for a couple days to aid in the process and add more to areas that seem dry.

There is also a product called LeatherMasters that has been getting good reviews for softening up certain types of leather but it is rare and expensive and I don't personally know anyone who has tried it.
Old 01-04-09, 09:44 AM
frantinez
Pole Position

Looks good man, both really clean cars.

Eric
Old 01-04-09, 05:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info. UDel, I'll have to check into that stuff sometime.
Old 01-04-09, 05:59 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Looks good to me
Old 01-05-09, 10:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

looks good.....really starting to like that saddle interior more and more. your car is starting to make me jealous
Old 01-08-09, 10:01 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

That looks great! The saddle interior is pimpin'
Old 01-08-09, 11:56 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pics look nice and clean .
I have never found a better product to clean leather than Mr. clean magic eraser. It will blow this stuff away since it is cheaper , faster and easier to use since it is one step.
Cold water and a bucket is all that is needed and takes about 2 hours to do a whole interior dash and all trim as well .
Try it and compare for getting all the dirt trapped in the creases.

Quick Reply: New pics- leatherique is the bomb (plus a few others) *no 56K*