GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Atlanta Drag Strip ClubLexus Meet Write Up - Long

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 01:00 PM
Wally
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You guys are hilarious! What a bloody hoot. I have been laughing for about 20 minutes!!!!! Just imagining my non-modded non-everything GS4 doing that type of thing...Beautiful!
Old 02-25-02, 02:33 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

alright...well me and a friend were going to come up there
but didnt know that it was on teh complete other side of ATL
we were hoping to get up there and meet with yall
but it was too late

i need to have some of you guys cell phones in a case of an emergency

email Trudremz16@aol.com
Old 02-25-02, 04:34 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
You guys think his Insurance company is gonna cover it? I don't think they are I read something in the FINE print of my policy that said it won't.
I was just thinking the same thing.. How in the world do you explain that to your insurance company.. All I gotta say is SUCKS to be him.. Hope he has deep pockets to fix it!
Old 02-25-02, 07:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

I was just thinking the same thing.. How in the world do you explain that to your insurance company.. All I gotta say is SUCKS to be him.. Hope he has deep pockets to fix it!

I was just thinking... I know where I can pick up a nice set of Supra brakes... CHEAP!

Thanks everybody for the comments about Krista - she's had a blast reading this thread and really enjoyed meeting everyone. And kicking our asses.

Mumbles - you were so right about all that drag rubber crap layering under the car after my burnouts... I was worried about the exhaust bursting into flames on the drive home :eek: .

We've definitely got to do this again, but somewhere that doesn't have Supra bodily fluids all over the track so I can get some traction! Next meet in Charlotte!

I'm going to PM Mike to see if he'll setup a new folder under ClubLexus Meets in the gallery for us to upload pics.
Old 02-25-02, 08:04 PM
LexFather

I really had a blast. But it really helped that everyone in the group was so cool. It also helped that we consoled each other as Krista kicked our collective a$$e$!

My dumba$$ fell asleep at the track and left my lights on, killed my battery (thanks for the jump).

Honestly, I am going to go back but I have no intentions of having a 10 sec GS. I am going to the track to have fun and see if I can lower my track time LAUNCHING correctly. Then I can see myself modding (s/c ).

I will be organizing meets once a month in Atlanta and big meets every 4 months?

Hot Import Nights comes to Atlanta at the Word Congress Center August 16th!
Old 02-25-02, 11:15 PM
Jazziz
Driver

I had a great time as well. Did you all see the one idiot in the silver GS that left his traction control on not once, but twice? If I ever take it to the track again, I will definitely bring along a CHECKLIST! (((note to self, after turning car off, you must push little button when restarted!!!:eek: )))
Old 02-26-02, 04:39 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Wally
You guys are hilarious! What a bloody hoot. I have been laughing for about 20 minutes!!!!! Just imagining my non-modded non-everything GS4 doing that type of thing...Beautiful!
It was quite the time, but I admit the same thoughts ran through my head... "Wait a minute, I'm drag racing my GS???"

Originally posted by trudremz16
alright...well me and a friend were going to come up there
but didnt know that it was on teh complete other side of ATL
we were hoping to get up there and meet with yall
but it was too late
Wish you guys could have made it, the more the merrier!

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Thanks everybody for the comments about Krista - she's had a blast reading this thread and really enjoyed meeting everyone. And kicking our asses.
Yeah, I'll bet she enjoyed kicking our butts! Although she was very cool about it, I guess she knows how fragile our egos can be

Originally posted by1SICKLEX
I will be organizing meets once a month in Atlanta and big meets every 4 months?
Hot Import Nights comes to Atlanta at the Word Congress Center August 16th!
I'm there for all of them!

Originally posted by Jazziz
Did you all see the one idiot in the silver GS that left his traction control on not once, but twice?
Yeah, I heard there was a guy in a black GS and one in a white GS that left their A/C on during the first run... Ahhh cruising the quarter-mile in air conditioned comfort. What's all the fuss about, this drag stuff is easy?

Again, I had a great time and look forward to hanging out with all of you again. When I belonged to Maxima.org (don't hate me), we organized a yearly meet for the whole club. Chose someplace central, like Texas, and with enough notice and planning, we had a terrific turnout... guys came from as far as Washington state and North Dakota for a Maxima meet! We ought to do something like that with CL!
Old 02-26-02, 10:34 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Looks like the Hotlanta crew had a good time. I really enjoyed the write-up, felt like I was in the drivers seat myself! Funny thing is that now I'm driving around looking for an emtpy 1/4 mile strip so I can test my GS!
Old 02-26-02, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Funny, I told my peers at work during lunch the blast we had racing and they ask WHY DO IT IN A LEXUS (actually they always ask that).....

THEY cannot begin to understand the joy!!!!

Hey won't see a #7 on my car with a helmet but it is good to know the full capabilities of your car...

ROAD COURSE ANYONE!??!?!?!

BTW fellas, I found out about the fluid from the car (when we were racing back home, I punched it at 100 and my car farted fluid going on Dexter's winshield). Took it to the dealer and the OVERFILLED the tranny fluid during my 60k service. They took care of it and NOW it drives like new!
Old 02-26-02, 03:38 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
....I punched it at 100 and my car farted fluid going on Dexter's winshield). Took it to the dealer and the OVERFILLED the tranny fluid during my 60k service. They took care of it and NOW......
Sick, glad you got it taken care of.

I'd ask how they think the tranny fluid leaked out; through the pan I'm guessing, which means a seal may be damaged.

Not wishing you bad luck or anything, just something to consider.

That's BS IMO, that a dealer would make such a foolish mistake such as overfilling.
Old 02-26-02, 03:54 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

Default 1SICKLEX

Do a driving event. If you havent it is a very educational experience. In fact I think it should be recommended for all drivers to get their license. For example, the Audi Quattro Club sponsors Driving Events. At these events you do 3 exercises, one is to run a slalom course around cones, and go as fast as you can and do worry about losing control. You learn the limits of the car and what it feels like when the car is in control, appraoching the edge and when it throws in the towel. The 2nd exercise is braking. They have you speed up to 60mph and just plant your foot through the floorboard hitting the brakes and if you have ABS finally feeling what its like when ABS kicks in. The 3rd exercise is accident avoidance. They have you go 30mph and there are 3 lanes in front of you, they have lights at the far end of them. ALl three lights are green, then when you are about 15 yards from the start of the lanes, two lights go red and you have to swerve into the lane with the green light, not hitting you brakes at all till you are in the lane and heading straight then mash the brakes. Alot of people make the mistake of hitting the brake and turning the wheel.
Some places do dry and wet skidpad so that you can feel your car at the edge and when it goes passed that point both in dry and wet conditions.
Then you hit the road course for a couple of 20-30minutes sessions each day with an instructor sitting next to you.
You should be able to find local groups in your area that puts on these types of events. I have seen SUV's, Vehicross, beetles, jaguars, you name it, out there to learn. Real good experience and fun too! Sorry to be so wordy, I'll just hop off my little soapbox now!!! : ) I just feel strongly about tightening the loose nut behind the wheel especially when driving more sport oriented cars.
Old 02-28-02, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Wow - sounds like you had a great time, although it sounds like it was a very busy place!

I'm disappointed I couldn't make it, not only for the fun of the drag strip but seeing and hanging out with all of you again.

I look forward to the next meet.
Old 02-28-02, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Yeah Bit!

I am planning a big one here in April!