GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Spacer installation - Loctite thread sealer

Old 10-18-08, 11:01 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^Chris^^^ its unnecessary for us because we really dont drive all that hard and its easy for us to to re-torque them at our leisure, but for someone who wants comfort, doesnt check their tires often and might drive harder than us they may need to put some thread lock on there ....i know drifters who use spacers and they all do it as a safety thing.....no fun seeing your 1000 wheel go flying down the road way ya know?

just for clarification im using Ichiba 25mm spacers and i have made some pretty hard corners on them with no give....atleast i dont know of....but i
check them too often probably.

-A
Old 10-18-08, 11:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If your torque the lugs like you should, then you shouldn't have a problem with the lugs falling off. The only time your lugs will pop out is if you overtorque it, causing the studs to fall out, or they're severely loosened. I dont see why you would need loctite at all...unless I'm missing something?
Old 10-18-08, 11:56 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering if its really bad to use an impact gun when installing spacers? I got the H&Rs with the studs on them and it says specifically not to use an impact gun but i did anyway. Anyone know why we shouldnt use an impact gun, and how do are we supposed to know what the right amout of torque to use is?
Old 10-19-08, 12:02 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always used an impact gun on wheels. All wheel shops use impact guns, but I have heard people claiming if you use impacts you can warp the rotor, yeah right.
Old 10-19-08, 12:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I use my impact to loosen, but not to tighten. I have a torque wrench, and I'd feel guilty if I didn't use what I have available
Old 10-19-08, 12:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You can gall the threads on the wheel studs with an impact gun. I've had it happen so many times now. If I ever have to goto to a wheel shop to go get tires mounted and install the rims on the car. I warn then up front if they use an impact gun on my car they are buying me all new wheel studs. It doesn't always happen but occasionally if the torque on the impact gun is so high. It will strip the threads off the bolt internally and basically fuse the lug and stud into one. Other times, the stud stretches and becomes weak and usually breaks off. So that kids...is why you don't use impact guns to install lugs
Old 10-19-08, 12:39 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
You can gall the threads on the wheel studs with an impact gun. I've had it happen so many times now. If I ever have to goto to a wheel shop to go get tires mounted and install the rims on the car. I warn then up front if they use an impact gun on my car they are buying me all new wheel studs. It doesn't always happen but occasionally if the torque on the impact gun is so high. It will strip the threads off the bolt internally and basically fuse the lug and stud into one. Other times, the stud stretches and becomes weak and usually breaks off. So that kids...is why you don't use impact guns to install lugs

+1 any reputable wheel shop will use torque wrenches to put lugs on. Loosening is okay with an impact gun in my book.
Old 10-19-08, 12:42 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Non of the above has ever happend to me, but I am not saying that it can't happen. However; like I said all shops use impacts, so it must not happen that often.
Old 10-19-08, 01:26 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I fear getting a flat on the side of the road and trying to remove the lug nuts that were torqued down with an impact wrench. I do not feel like learning the hard way like my dad has.
Old 10-19-08, 04:38 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i did use loctite on my spacers when i installed them on my last car, just as a precaution since i drove it daily and the spacers were quite thick (30mm front 35mm rear)

i used the Blue loctite, i think it was Thread Lock or Nut Lock. I put it into the threads of the nuts for the spacer before torquing them on. I didnt have a torque wrench and have heard stories of bad things happening if you overtorque them (i think like JeffTsai was saying, stretching/stressing the threads and causing them to become brittle and snap) so i just did them a 'good' amount by hand with the Loctite in there.

When i had to remove them, they come off fairly easy but it definately took some strength to 'crack' them loose. It basically turns like a blue candle wax, so it isnt perfectly clean when removed but close enough, and a quick rub around with a wire brush or rag with some thinners on it removes any left over gunk.

cant hurt to use some, it certainly held mine tight and was easy enough to remove.
Old 10-19-08, 05:26 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
Hello,

I am planning to install my spacer and using Loctite to make sure the screw does not come loose.

Any recommendations? I want something that will hold but also removable when needed. I've seen blue in color for medium strength but would like some opinion before i buy it.

Thank you
Nothing else was used when my spacers were installed. I have the H&R 25MM in the rear BTW.

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Non of the above has ever happend to me, but I am not saying that it can't happen. However; like I said all shops use impacts, so it must not happen that often.
Fonz I totally see your point and it seems valid. I know my father and I saw first hand of what those things can do. We caught a flat several years ago and the car was towed to a small shop that replaced tires. We were outside and watched how the guy was fast and all but too too fast as he stripped one of the lugs. I think how it's operated is the issue. I've never used one personally. Recently when I had to remove my wheels, all 20 lugs were in good condition. This is after I took my car to a shop to replace my shocks/springs a just a few months ago.
Old 10-19-08, 11:05 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu
I fear getting a flat on the side of the road and trying to remove the lug nuts that were torqued down with an impact wrench. I do not feel like learning the hard way like my dad has.
Just because they use a torque wrench does not guarantee they are using it properly nor it is calibrated to spec. I use a torque stick and I think most shops do as well, I would hope. You will have a hard time removing lugs regardless because the tire lug wrench is only foot long.
Originally Posted by MrG4Life

Fonz I totally see your point and it seems valid. I know my father and I saw first hand of what those things can do. We caught a flat several years ago and the car was towed to a small shop that replaced tires. We were outside and watched how the guy was fast and all but too too fast as he stripped one of the lugs. I think how it's operated is the issue. I've never used one personally. Recently when I had to remove my wheels, all 20 lugs were in good condition. This is after I took my car to a shop to replace my shocks/springs a just a few months ago.
That sucks, but hey they were the responssible party and fixed the issue, right?
like I said it can happen. I always snug them by hand and then hit them with the impact. To remove, I back them up slow. Most studs that I've seen get damaged do to corrusion or improper install.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 10-19-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 02:18 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

So not that i havea torque wrench, yet, but how do we know what amount of torque to put on our lugs for spacers/wheels? Is this something we need to tell people installing our wheels or should they already know the correct specs. I dont want the tards at Big O screwing up my lugs, they were already nice enough to scratch some of the black paint off my calipers.
Old 10-20-08, 02:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

They'll just put the impact gun on it and call it a day. most of them wont use a torque wrench because it adds on time for them. You can probably request them to do so.
Old 10-21-08, 02:23 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Post pictures when you get them on.
What size spacers are you running with your 3GS wheels?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spacer installation - Loctite thread sealer