GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought a can of Seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 01:54 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

hmmm...now I'm thinking of returning this stuff. The problem is:

1. I don't know of a local shop with a "Bilstein" machine
2. I had my Lexus dealer perform a fuel injection service and didn't notice one damn thing and it cost me $159+tax. The bolts on the throttle body didn't even look like they have been touched. Mind you they said that they take apart the TB in this service...what a bunch of BS.

I want to clean everything, injectors, TB, fuel lines, engine internals etc etc the most effective way without taking everything apart; obviously. Are there any other additive/cleaners like Seafoam that works better? What about "Restore", does that work good?
Old 07-11-08, 02:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not all injector service are the same. The cleaner used is more important than the machine used. Most fuel injector equipment will do virtually the same thing. You don't even need a "bilstein" machine. There are lots of other brands that will work as well..like OTC. Perhaps your engine is already clean enough to start with.
Old 07-11-08, 02:19 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a healthy engine and everything is properly maintained, I would use only 1/2 a can instead of the whole can. like alot of people said so far, if you dont have a healthy engine that gunk seafoam is breaking down might be patching a internal problem we cannot see. in that case your doing more harm than good, dont forget to change your motor oil asap after the treatment.

my points of use on my old vehicles were the brake booster line, going towards motor of course. pcv valves (silver 5 in long tubes on the engine covers) and last is the gas tank for injectors. its best to utilize all the spots mentioned because certain areas only reach a few ports. you might be cleaning the rear ports more than the fronts etc etc depending where detergent goes through. sorry if im confusing you guys, i have the idea in my head but hard to put into words.
Old 07-11-08, 03:47 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is "seafoam"??
Old 07-11-08, 04:06 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
....wait, you mean from the use of the Seafoam? or just in general from having a car with high(er) mileage? LMK

GSteg - which one is the PVC valve line? where? Thanks
i'm sorry, i just realized i didn't clarify well. I meant the damage is done as in whatever damage is already in the engine at a mileage like that is not likely to be fixed with just a can of seafoam.

don't get me wrong though, at lower mileages, maybe around the 75k range where things could get kinda gunky, seafoam is a great idea. or even when the car has been sitting for a while and you want to make sure nothing is varnished or what have you.
Old 07-11-08, 06:26 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Sea foam works well..That's what every independent mechanic uses to fix the oil gel problem in the V6 Toyota/Lexus motors..
Also we did this on a honda B18C1 ...the thing was carbon free after doing it (we then built the motor up) about 500 miles later..(nothing was wrong) just wanted to see how through of a job it did
Old 07-11-08, 06:47 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
^^Werd. I've only used seafoam once or twice on my car. I went with a fuel injector service and my car improved much more than seafoam ever did. Plus it cleans more than seafoam itself. Lucas fuel injector cleaner provides nice lubrication. Got my noisy injectors quiet almost instantly!
What "exactly" is preformed here? No seafoam being used, is it just another cleaner used with the same method as administering seafoam? Please expound.
Old 07-11-08, 08:15 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seafoamed many cars before and never had any problems
except the occasional engine choking because I didn't rev
Old 07-13-08, 07:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX469
What "exactly" is preformed here? No seafoam being used, is it just another cleaner used with the same method as administering seafoam? Please expound.
Basic rundown: fuel pump connector gets disconnected..fuel line near the engine gets disconnected...Hook up a fuel injector cleaner canister to the fuel line that goes to the fuel rail. Pour a mix of fuel and cleaning deterrant (lucas, seafoam, etc) into the canister and hook it up to an air compressor..Set the right air pressure to mimic the fuel line's pressure as if the fuel pump was pumping it...turn on the engine and let it idle for a while until you've ran out of stuff in the canister.

Basically you can achieve this by running a really high concentration of cleaning agent in your gas tank, but I doubt anyone wants to do that. The fuel injector canister method provides faster results and the product gets applied more effectively.
Old 07-13-08, 01:45 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I just used this stuff and I am now kind of screwed! The car runs good but I hace the CEL the VSC and VSC off lights all on my dash! What the hell does this mean???!!! I am resetting my ECU as we speak...please help! Need your input!
Old 07-13-08, 02:49 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

nevermind...false alarm guys. The reset took care of it! The car definitely runs smoother, not really noticing any performance increase. Blew a lot of smoke for the first 5 minutes (mostly white smoke).
Old 07-13-08, 02:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You bad you already did seafoam..You could have tried a lot of lucas injector cleaner for your gas tank. I was smoking on startup for at least a week. More smoke than i ever got with seafoam. I once turned on my engine at school and boy did the smoke cover everything
Old 07-13-08, 06:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Actually the check engine light just came back on! Dammit! The "VSC" and "VSC Off" lights are no longer on the dash; which is a good thing though. Why am I getting a CEL after this Seafoaming? any ideas? I didn't get the codes read yet.
Old 07-13-08, 07:17 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you reconnected all the vacuum hoses you used during the seafoaming process.
Old 07-13-08, 11:34 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Dirty 02 sensor could be the culprit too

Quick Reply: Bought a can of Seafoam.