GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Tire Vibration defect? Tell us your experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 11:53 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the steering wheel vibration was pretty common to most 98 GS models, mine included. I remember this issue being discussed quite thoroughly back in the day here on ClubLexus, and since then there was a TSB put out for the problem.

The vibration wasn't all that much of a problem for me, but eventually I told my tech, Larry, about the problem and he basically said "Yup, I know what you're talking about. Just bring it in and we'll have it fixed for you."

I bring the GS in a few days later and pick it up the morning after. Since then, no more vibration. This was a 98 GS 400 with the factory 16" wheels and tires.
Old 03-14-01, 12:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Check The Specs On The Wheels!

Without a doubt! CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAD HUB RINGS INSTALLED WITH YOUR 18's! AS THIS WILL CAUSE VIBRATION NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO TRY AND FIX IT There are extremely few aftermaket wheels that are "Hub-Centric" If you don't have em', get em', and your problem is as good as solved.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 03-14-01 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-14-01, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Just a quick counterpoint... my stock 17's with Potenzas were absolutely fine from new, and after a dealer rotate and balance at 5K they seemed even smoother. No vibration, no grabbing the road, nothing. In fact, completely smooth up to 120mph. Guess I was lucky. My problems only began when I switched to aftermarket 18s and Nittos - better now, but still not as good as the stock wheels/tires I had.

Old 03-14-01, 05:33 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I'm With Harrier!

My GS came with the 16's & those had that 60 mph vibration no matter what I tried. My suspension guy told me that Lexus had a problem with the 17's cupping as well as vibrating. I went up to 17's & the vibration was still there but when I moved to the current 18's, it has been minimized! I think that's because the 18" Nittos have softer sidewalls than the 17" Pilot Sports i was running. At least it's nothing I can't live with - YET!
Old 03-14-01, 06:42 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibrations-Front End

I have a 2000 GS4 L-Tuned with 17" Chromed After market wheels, I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned, but I have heard that chrome wheels tend to go out of balance quicker because the tires slip on the rims.
Old 03-14-01, 07:31 PM
bob90808

Thank you all for replying. I'm sure that there will be more.

There is one common thread in all of these posts: All of us who have experienced this problem have been going back to the dealers to solve it.

I think that it is clear from all of these repsonses: This is a LEXUS PROBLEM which Lexus is refusing to acknowledge and is dumping on the financial backs of the dealers to individually deal with each of us.

None of the dealer fixes have worked. If I could summarize these fixes from all of these posts, these include (in order from the sublime to the bizarre):

1. Frequent re-balancing
2. Replacing the rims
3. Replacing the tires and/or
4. Moving up a tire size
5. Replacing the bushings on the suspension arm
6. Epoxying the tires to the rims

I think that it is obvious: There is an inherent engineering design flaw in the front suspension of the GS300/400 cars which makes the car extraordinarily susceptible to vibration.

Several of you have posted "I am going to print these out and march into my dealer and show them!"

I don't think this is the solution. I think it is financially unfair to the dealers. I think Lexus needs to take this monkey off their backs and assume ownership of both the problem and the responsibility to provide a solution.

The only way this is going to happen is if all of us GS owners present an organized face to Lexus' managment. The only way THAT is going to happen is if we somehow create a registry of owners and mutually agree on a course of action.

I live here in SoCal and am close to both Toyota USA and Lexus USA HQ's. I am willing to start this process if all of you are willing to provide your contact info at some point.

Remember: As I stated in my first post, this is not just an annoyance. It is a growing recognized problem that could possibly bite all of us in the butt at resale time.

Anybody remember what happened to Audi resale prices in the 80's after "60 Minutes" did their hatchet job?

Think it over. LMK. Thanks.
Old 03-14-01, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bob90808
Anybody remember what happened to Audi resale prices in the 80's after "60 Minutes" did their hatchet job?
The key point there being that 60 Minutes was WRONG.

I also don't think your sample size is very big here.

One big point to consider is that Lexus puts CRAPPY tires on ALL their cars. I think this is a big factor, which the dealer can't do much about unless they want to eat the cost of putting decent tires on.

While there's some instances of dissatisfaction with vibrations noted here, there's probably thousands of other owners (I know dozens) who have no problems so I don't think this is an epidemic.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.
Old 03-14-01, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Check The Specs On The Wheels!

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAD HUB RINGS INSTALLED WITH YOUR 18's! AS THIS WILL CAUSE VIBRATION NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO TRY AND FIX IT There are extremely few aftermaket wheels that are "Hub-Centric" If you don't have em', get em', and your problem is as good as solved.
Absolutely right, as I learned!
Old 03-15-01, 11:05 AM
gs4power
Driver

Lightbulb Hub-centric wheel

Without a doubt! CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAD HUB RINGS INSTALLED WITH YOUR 18's! AS THIS WILL CAUSE VIBRATION NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO TRY AND FIX IT There are extremely few aftermaket wheels that are "Hub-Centric" If you don't have em', get em', and your problem is as good as solved.
I can suggest the Volk Racing TE37. This wheel includes 60 degree conical lugs that allow self-centering of the wheel. Even though they come with hub centric rings, these aren't needed due to the conical housing/lug design. Haven't experienced any vibration problems so far.
Old 03-15-01, 02:07 PM
chowder
Driver

Default gs4power

a little off topic...but how do you like those Toyo Proxes T1-S? can you give me an indication of their performance, wear characteristics, etc? can you compare them to other tires you've had?
thanks.
Old 03-15-01, 06:18 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default Toyos

Sure Chowder,

First thing I noticed, the Proxes T1-S (235/45f 265/35r) ride MUCH smoother than the stock 17" Potenzas, in spite of the lower sidewall. I was quite surprised by this. Toyo claims they've found a way to mantain the contact patch of the tire at the limit without compromising ride quality: instead of stiffening the sidewall, they increased the tension of the belt. I believe them. The tires are quieter than stock, handling has improved and turn-in is slightly better. And the tread is great looking to boot! Also, I noticed the Toyos required less balance weights than the stock tires. About durability, I think their treadwear rating of 280 is the highest among max performance tires (S02, Yokos AVS Sport, Pilots).