GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help !!!!! - Wet Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 10:41 AM
Nilesh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Floor on Driver Side

Hello Everyone,
I have a problem that requires little help from members.

The floor on driver side of my car is getting wet, once again. I had this same problem about a year ago or so and it turned out to be the heater core, which was replaced. The problem went away (or atleast I thought it did) until last week when i noticed a wet smell in car and today when I went to vaccum the car and removed the floor met the carpet was wet.

The floor met is completey dry and carpet area where the pedals are is also dry. I have not washed the car, so I know that is not the problem. We did have a little rain but I dont think that is also the problem.

Has anyone else had same problem? Please help.

Thank you in advance to everyone for looking at this for me.

Neil

Last edited by Nilesh; 08-01-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 02:26 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine went away and now is back too. did you go on a long trip before you noticed the floor being wet? if so i think it will be from using the ac for a long period of time and the evaporator core box is leaking. i think it is what mine is doing. this is really frustrating.
Old 05-26-08, 02:38 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

I had this same problem about a year ago.. I had my mechanic guy fix it...He told me it was a broken or cracked seal this is from what he told me.. its where the excess water from the evaporator coil drops down and the leaves the car thru the hose under your car.. its like a thing that collects water and he said that he had to take it apart and resealed it...hasn't happened since he had to take out the whole dash and do this so the dealership will charge allot..glad he works for Lexus

hope that helps
Old 07-11-08, 08:15 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Texas do you live? Where does your friend work? I am having the same issue and was quoted over $500 to fix the problem.
Old 07-14-08, 02:00 PM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by RICHYRICH
I had this same problem about a year ago.. I had my mechanic guy fix it...He told me it was a broken or cracked seal this is from what he told me.. its where the excess water from the evaporator coil drops down and the leaves the car thru the hose under your car.. its like a thing that collects water and he said that he had to take it apart and resealed it...hasn't happened since he had to take out the whole dash and do this so the dealership will charge allot..glad he works for Lexus

hope that helps
I had the same problem in my car a couple years ago, except moisture was accumulating in the passenger side footwell. I took it to my mechanic (who happens to be my uncle), a hose (i'm assuming that same drainage hose) was just blocked, he cleared it and it solved the problem. Had I taken the car to Lexus it likely would have cost an arm and a leg, they may have even tried to make me replace the evaporator core.
Old 07-14-08, 03:34 PM
perrychad
Driver

Does Your Car Ahve A Sunroof? Could Be A Drain. But Sounds Like Heatercore Housing. Was It Water Or Coolant?
Old 07-14-08, 07:35 PM
Nilesh
Driver School Candidate

The problem comes and goes. One day I noticed the carpet got wet after it was raining and drove through water puddle, so figured there was a problem with the floorboard. I had my local autobody shop check it and they didnt find anything but even then sprayed underbody coating but the problem didnt go away.

I already the heater core changed because I believed that was the problem which was causing the wet floor, but of course that didnt correct the situation.

Another time I had a repair shop tell me that leak was near the windshield wiper due to rust, he applied something and car sat in rain and no leak, so figured it was fix, but few days later, the leak was back.

It is water, not coolant, so next step. I am removing my seat and lifting carpet and run some test to see if I can figure out something on my own.
Old 07-15-08, 04:31 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well quit leaving your sunroof open when its raining out... haaaarrrrrrrr
Old 07-15-08, 12:33 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I am dealing with the same water issue in the 400.

I found my leak this past weekend and traced it to the seam at the A/C evaporator under the dash.
Only a small amount of the water is draining correctly through the drain tube and the rest, a steady drip, is leaking on the center hump under the dash.

The fix is to remove the dash and steel support and replace or fix the evaporator case. Thats about 10 to 20 hours worth of work for me. NOT FUN....

What I did for a band aid fix was to pull back the padding under the evaporator and insert a tray I made by cutting a plastic milk jug, using the handle portion of the jug as a spout. Then I inserted a tube in the spout.
Right now the water drains from the tube to a rubber floor mat and a towel on the passenger floor, very geto but it keeps my carpet dry.

I can post pics later...
Old 07-15-08, 08:30 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i still have not come up with a fix for mine. i know it is ac related. just can't find the leak. i have to drive for an hour or so with the ac on before it will get wet.
Old 07-31-08, 10:38 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

bump for more ideas. i guess i am going to take it to a dealer. i don't want to pay that much though
Old 07-31-08, 03:05 PM
Nilesh
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Today I took my car to the mechanic who does all the maintenance and repairs on my car. This is the same guy who already took the dash apart one time to fix the servo motor for air mixture problem (half side of my car would not change temp, it was always cold doesnt matter what the temp was set on a/c control and became a problem with defrosting) and at same time changed my heater core to "fix" the leak.

He ran leak tests on the car and didnt come up with anything but when he turned on the a/c he saw a small drip coming from under the dash but he can not pin point to where the leak is coming from without removing the dash. So we went back and fourth about how come he didnt fix the leak the first time and he defended himself by saying the first time it was not water but coolant leaking and he did fix it.

I dont agree with him but still decided to go ahead and have the dash removed one more time for charge of $750.00 including all the taxes. He quoted me labor price of $720.00 for 9 hours of labor and $120.00 for coolant & freon (i think) which has to emptied out before the evaporator case can be removed.

The problem is the price of eveporator case itself, price from lexus dealer is at $2000.00, what I am hoping for is that the case has a small crack or pinhole which can be patched up because I am not prepared to spend $2000.00 for the part. My mechanic believes that it might be a rust issue but can not say anything for sure until the dash has been removed.

So I am gambling $750.00, it may fix the problem or I just wasted my hard earned money for nothing.

I will keep you all posted. I am also going give him my camera and ask him to take pics along the way as he is removing the dash so I can post it here.
Old 07-31-08, 07:05 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it just rained like hell today in Georgia. When I got home from work (which is about 45 mins-1 hour away) I noticed that my front passenger side carpet was wet. I was also using the A/C as well. I'm going to take it to the dealership since I still have factory warranty. I will keep you guys posted on what they say.
Old 08-01-08, 04:51 PM
sck_GS300
Driver

the problem you guys have is you evap box is cracked and is leaking water from your ac onto your carpet. sucks i had the same problem when they checked it out at work, they told me it would cost an arm and a leg. thank god mine stop leaking. good luck guys!
Old 08-01-08, 07:59 PM
Nilesh
Driver School Candidate

Lets say it is the evap box which is cracked, is it possiable to fix it with proxy or something? and can it be done without removing the entire dash. I can remove the armrest, center consel, a/c vents, a/c controls, glove box and stereo. After removing all those items, can I access the box?

You know what sucks about all this, I bet the box has been cracked for atleast 4-5 years but never noticed it because water was always under the floor mat. If I had caught it back then, I could have got it fixed under warrenty.

Quick Reply: Help !!!!! - Wet Carpet