GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4XX N/A bolt-on sticky???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 08:55 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS4XX N/A bolt-on sticky???

Could someone create a sticky for all of the known go-fast bolt-on items for a N/A GS4XX? With short explanations and the benefits/downfalls of each. Maybe it's been done already in another thread somehwhere, but it would be cool to have something like:
  • Performance Industries Torque Converter (transfers torque to... saves ~.5 sec off 0-60 time)
  • 3.76 LSD (changes gear ratio and adds LSD to...saving about .2 sec in 1/4 mile time) from a 94-95 Supra TT auto, or Toyota part #XXXXX or TRD part #XXXXXX
  • Air intakes: SRT #XXXX (~30rwhp, comes with chip), K&N #XXXX, Tanabe #XXXXX, etc.
  • Exhaust: Borla mufflers #XXXX (10rwhp gain, quieter), L-tuned cat-back #XXXXX, etc.
  • Headers:
  • AFCs:
  • HKS exhaust cam gear:
  • Torque master plugs (some say these have a 10-20K life span), adds ~12rwhp...
  • Thinner head gasket to increase compression?
  • Port/polish to the following specs...
  • Machine shop recommendations, what they do, approx hp increase, cost.
  • etc.

My facts I know aren't right on, as I'm still learning. But you get the idea...

And yes, I know super/turbo may be more bang/buck; however some like to stay N/A. (Personally, because of my limited automotive knowledge, I'm reluctant to spend $4K+ on a kit that either is discontinued or is homemade...I would buy a full kit if I knew it was dependable, all parts were there, and it's been tested/proven/etc.)
Old 12-15-07, 10:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, there's no way in hell you're gonna get a SC kit for $4k. Well, not a complete and working one unless it's used. So you're making a good choice by keeping yourself N/A. That's what I'd recommend to most people unless they are a nut like me and can't live without boost
Old 12-15-07, 10:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Could someone create a sticky for all of the known go-fast bolt-on items for a N/A GS4XX? With short explanations and the benefits/downfalls of each. Maybe it's been done already in another thread somehwhere, but it would be cool to have something like:
  • Performance Industries Torque Converter (transfers torque to... saves ~.5 sec off 0-60 time)
  • 3.76 LSD (changes gear ratio and adds LSD to...saving about .2 sec in 1/4 mile time) from a 94-95 Supra TT auto, or Toyota part #XXXXX or TRD part #XXXXXX
  • Air intakes: SRT #XXXX (~30rwhp, comes with chip), K&N #XXXX, Tanabe #XXXXX, etc.
  • Exhaust: Borla mufflers #XXXX (10rwhp gain, quieter), L-tuned cat-back #XXXXX, etc.
  • Headers:
  • AFCs:
  • HKS exhaust cam gear:
  • Torque master plugs (some say these have a 10-20K life span), adds ~12rwhp...
  • Thinner head gasket to increase compression?
  • Port/polish to the following specs...
  • Machine shop recommendations, what they do, approx hp increase, cost.
  • etc.
I'd go NA-T if youre going to do that much to a GS4.
And SRT intake adds up to 30rwhp?
Old 12-16-07, 12:18 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

(Ignore the numbers--I'm sure they're off. Format was my point.)
Old 12-16-07, 08:35 AM
suprahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
First of all, there's no way in hell you're gonna get a SC kit for $4k. Well, not a complete and working one unless it's used. So you're making a good choice by keeping yourself N/A. That's what I'd recommend to most people unless they are a nut like me and can't live without boost
if you aint boostin, you aint goin.... once you experience boost you re going to want more... its like a drug

all my toys are boosted except the daily drivers... Scion Xb and the Toyota Yaris...
Old 12-16-07, 10:28 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

OK--this is slightly off topic, but here goes:

Say I want to super/turbocharge. I'dlike to spend ~$5K. I'm a mechanically inclined DIYer, but I don't have enough automotive knowledge to feel comfortable building my own kit (can't detonate my daily driver's engine!).

So what exactly would a guy like me do? Is there a shop that can set all of this up or would put together a parts kit at least? Is there a full kit I should search for?
Old 12-16-07, 06:04 PM
David1969
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck s/c'ing a GS. And if you do, don't expect a big RWHP gain unless you plan on dropping some serious coin on upgrading everything else. I s/c'd my Cobra for about $1200 used for a complete system which included 42# injectors. I went from about 225 RWHP to somewhere around 400 rwhp. I never dyno'd it but i ran quite a few 03+ Cobras with light mods and was able to pull from them quite easily. There will be others that will tell you how they justify charging crazy *** money for their systems, but i aint buying it. My GS will stay N/A for life and will last me quite a while in the process. Others who want more power, i've got nothing but props for you and i say go for it. If i were younger with no mortgage and a family, i'd definetly do it. If the cost for a system was half of what it is now, i wouldn't mind the minimal rwhp gain and do it just for the "cool" factor.

These cars are expensive all around to own and maintain. When they break, you'd better have some cash/credit to replace the parts, unless you've got a hookup and then it's still not cheap. My compressor's about to crap out and online it's $530 to replace for an OEM part (don't go cheap on this part or it will crap out quicker than you think; i'm going through this now). You don't even want to know how much it is at the dealership.
Old 12-16-07, 10:16 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah--the money thing is more of an issue for me. And I need the car to be dependable. That's why I'm leaning toward safer N/A mods, unless someone else has a contact...