GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Evap code,Charcoal canister replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 05:34 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Here is how I did it without messing with the rear hub and rear control arms, please refer to the diagram below.
I did not take pics, it was very dirty under there and dirt was landing on my face.
Once I had the car jacked up I was done in 90 minutes...
  • Jack up and properly support the passenger side rear of the car.
  • Remove passenger side rear wheel.
  • Remove the rear suspension brace, both sides.
  • Removed the 3 nuts that hold the canister and disconnecting 3 hoses and the 2 connectors.
  • Remove the charcoal canister mounting bracket, 2 bolts on the right side of the assembly.
  • Remove the 6 10mm allen head bolts that hold the RH rear drive shaft to the differential. Mark the alignment of the axle to the differential.
  • Carefully push the axle outward and drop it down to the side.
  • Remove the rubber band type hangers that supports the exhaust pipes. this will give you enough room to move the drive shaft a few more inches out of the way.
  • Remove the charcoal canister assembly. It might take you a few minutes to fit it through the opening.
  • Replacing the new assembly is reverse of removal, including removing the mounting bracket on the right side of the assembly.
  • Torque the drive shaft bolts to 61 ft/lbs in a cross pattern

Frank,

You alway post pictures and that help me a lot. Thank you for that bro.
The following users liked this post:
RikiHernan (12-30-20)
Old 03-07-17, 01:39 AM
phemobay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please can some one tell me where the canister in gs 300 1995 located
Old 07-19-17, 11:38 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just did this work on a 1999 GS400. It was much easier than I anticipated. One suggestion I can offer:

For this step: Remove the rubber band type hangers that supports the exhaust pipes. this will give you enough room to move the drive shaft a few more inches out of the way.

What I did instead: There is a large plastic piece directly above the rear axle carrier assembly (two 10mm IIRC). It is what the charcoal canister "Air Drain Hose" connects to. Remove that plastic piece.

Once removed, there is significantly more room to maneuver the canister assembly. After removing the assembly bracket, rotate the entire assembly 180 degrees about a vertical axis (i.e., keep the assembly flat, rotate it such that the hoses/valves are on the passenger side instead of the drivers side). As a result, the "fat" side of the assembly comes out last, which made it very easy to fish out. No disconnecting of exhaust hangers, no pry bars, easy.
Old 07-31-20, 02:39 PM
waltIS350
Driver School Candidate

Default How do I clean out my charcoal canister on a '11 IS350?? My tank also does not vent

3. Blockage preventing the tank from properly venting. This could be due to a plugged charcoal canister or canister filter, a stuck closed canister close valve, or any sort of blockage in the evaporative system.

This happens to me
Old 11-21-20, 05:49 PM
arjohn1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 LS460 EVAP -Charco Canister and Fuel Injection Hose

Hello all.

Help please! Can a Charco Canister be bad but you have no codes?

I smell gas outside the car. I changed the gas cap with OEM.

Also, is this hose Injector is a little loose. It moves a bit even though I got a clamp on it. Is that normal?

Thanks again!

AJ