GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Supercharged Maxima Vs. GS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 01:16 PM
GS2NV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Maxima Vs. GS400

Hey guys, I need some help with this one. I have a coworker with a supercharged '98 Max that claims he can roast a GS400. Say it isn't so!! Has anyone raced one or know what they are capable of?
Old 01-14-02, 02:03 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Possibly he could....depends on how much boost he's running, therefore horsepower he's producing.

But, so what? At the end of the day, he's still driving around in a Maxima and you still have a Lexus to luxuriate in. Anybody with enough money can make horsepower, but only Lexus makes a Lexus.
Old 01-14-02, 02:27 PM
GS2NV
Driver School Candidate

It's a 5 speed. It felt really quick, but like you said taking off in it is somewhat of a challange. I don't have my GS4 yet, but when I do I will give him a run for his money.
Old 01-14-02, 03:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
Possibly he could....depends on how much boost he's running, therefore horsepower he's producing.

But, so what? At the end of the day, he's still driving around in a Maxima and you still have a Lexus to luxuriate in. Anybody with enough money can make horsepower, but only Lexus makes a Lexus.
well said.

I can get a broke-down Civic hatch from the junk yard for like 2k. Invest like 20k and make it a 10-sec. Civic. But so what? at the end of the day, I'll still be going home in a Civic.

Not to be mean to Civic owners or anything. I'm just illustrating how you can spend lotsa money to make a cheaper car go fast, but in the end it's still a cheaper car.
Old 01-14-02, 03:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Driver

I HAVE a 5-speed maxima that can beat my GS hands down....and I don't even have a supercharger...the supercharged 5-speed maxs are high 13 second cars with just the baseline 6.5psi and exhaust bolt-ons. A GS will need something up it's sleeve to take out a supercharged maxima.

the basic Supercharged 5-speed maxima puts out about 270-280 crank HP...and it's only dragging around 3000lbs vs. the GS400's weight of 3600 lbs with only 20 more hp...
Old 01-14-02, 07:56 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

The Maxima is also front wheel drive. Not that it's bad in itself, but I wonder how the handling is between the two cars. I prefer RWD.

BriGuyMax, you have both, care to comment on the handling?
Old 01-15-02, 04:39 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by QBranchCars
The Maxima is also front wheel drive. Not that it's bad in itself, but I wonder how the handling is between the two cars. I prefer RWD.

BriGuyMax, you have both, care to comment on the handling?
I have also owned both a '97 Max SE 5 spd, and my current 2K GS. From a handling standpoint, stock to stock I feel that the cars are about even. Even though the GS is heavier and may have slightly more body roll, it feels more planted. Actually, after putting coilovers on my Max, I felt like it handled worse over transistions then it did stock. My GS has no suspension mods, but having ridden in the 'back' seat of Bit's GS with his mods, I'd still have to give the nod to the GS.
As for the power and racing aspect... GS wins again. The Max is easier to drive fast, which may be the reason that BriGuyMax feels like his Max is faster. But, driven properly, the GS is faster, and the Max runs out of gas on the top end.
Old 01-15-02, 07:37 AM
BriGuyMax
Driver

Originally posted by mumbles

I have also owned both a '97 Max SE 5 spd, and my current 2K GS. From a handling standpoint, stock to stock I feel that the cars are about even. Even though the GS is heavier and may have slightly more body roll, it feels more planted. Actually, after putting coilovers on my Max, I felt like it handled worse over transistions then it did stock. My GS has no suspension mods, but having ridden in the 'back' seat of Bit's GS with his mods, I'd still have to give the nod to the GS.
As for the power and racing aspect... GS wins again. The Max is easier to drive fast, which may be the reason that BriGuyMax feels like his Max is faster. But, driven properly, the GS is faster, and the Max runs out of gas on the top end.
I agree with you about the handling for the most part...the max seems a little stiffer stock and more confident at highway speeds. But the GS can carve corners pretty much just as well as the Maxima.

FYI....MY maxima IS faster than my GS...look at my 1/4 mile...I wanna see a bone stock GS hit 14 flat with a 99mph trap speed and a cr@ppy 2.25 60ft...

BUT my maxima is NOT stock....stock for stock...the GS will walk all over the maxima...hell...it's got 110 more hp stock...it SHOULD walk all over the max.
Old 01-15-02, 08:38 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

The maxiam is a very quick car...but to compare it to the GS is a different story. Lexus is pure luxury and they made the GS series for one reason. That reason was so it would be fun to drive and it is. The demand for Lexus to be fast and racey is to low. Not like the Maxiam! Most people that buy the maxiam are average income people $27,000 - $34,000. Most people that buy Lexus own a store or two and average age is mid 40s and up making $60,000 and up if you know what I mean. Every car has its ups and downs. (example) GO FAST or BLING BLING I perfer to BLING BLING Also keep in mind, people that drive a Lexus makes enough to drive a Maxima or two

Last edited by GS400_PUSHER; 01-15-02 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-15-02, 10:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
.and it's only dragging around 3000lbs vs. the GS400's weight of 3600 lbs with only 20 more hp...
Briguy the GS weighs in at about 3700 lbs curb weight... Either way a S/C Max should be a hand full

Yeah the Max was the first true Japanese sports sedan.. It had the sticker in the windows 4DSC "4 door sports car" for a reason... Now the throne has been removed, but let's not forget..

Different cars same mission... I'll take the Lexus
Old 01-15-02, 10:34 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I agree with you about the handling for the most part...the max seems a little stiffer stock and more confident at highway speeds. But the GS can carve corners pretty much just as well as the Maxima.
FYI....MY maxima IS faster than my GS...look at my 1/4 mile...I wanna see a bone stock GS hit 14 flat with a 99mph trap speed and a cr@ppy 2.25 60ft...
BUT my maxima is NOT stock....stock for stock...the GS will walk all over the maxima...hell...it's got 110 more hp stock...it SHOULD walk all over the max.
Hey BriGuyMax,
You're Max signiture sure looks familar. Do you post at the Maxima.org forums? I used to post as Eman97SE... ahh the good old days! BTW what all do you have on your Max?
Old 01-15-02, 11:25 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by The Ikon
Yeah the Max was the first true Japanese sports sedan.. It had the sticker in the windows 4DSC "4 door sports car" for a reason... Now the throne has been removed, but let's not forget..
Yeah, that little sticker has always cracked me up. I will NEVER think of the Maxima as a sports car.
Old 01-15-02, 01:25 PM
BriGuyMax
Driver

Originally posted by Iceman

Yeah, that little sticker has always cracked me up. I will NEVER think of the Maxima as a sports car.
go against my max on a road course in your M roadster....and I GUARANTEE you'll think differently....
Old 01-15-02, 01:27 PM
BriGuyMax
Driver

Talking

Originally posted by mumbles

Hey BriGuyMax,
You're Max signiture sure looks familar. Do you post at the Maxima.org forums? I used to post as Eman97SE... ahh the good old days! BTW what all do you have on your Max?
yes...I post as briguymax over there too

I have WAY to much stuff to list...but just to give you a basic Idea....I/Y/E, UDP, R/T , ACT clutch, Quaife ATB, RSB...etc...etc...oh yea...and a little N2O
Old 01-15-02, 01:36 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

NOS, eh??? Well, hell, yeah!

And I do like Maxs; the 2nd gen with 4DSC was indeed just that, at the time. Couldn't find a better sports sedan for anywhere near what the Max cost back then. Also was one of the best looking sedans on the road. In the 90's, Nissan sort of lost there way, styling-wise, with the 3rd gen Max. The 300ZX STILL looks good.

BTW, BriGuy, your 430 is on fire. That couldn't have helped extend tread life on that right rear 030.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Maxima Vs. GS400