GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Nav Hack question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 07:40 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2003 GS430....I followed the commands to get me into the system menu screen with override being one options to select. But when I go to push it nothing happens....I push the other buttons and they do something. I dont know whats up with mine.

I hate not being able to mess with my nav system while im moving
Old 07-30-07, 08:32 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Yup the HD based one . The HD one should be the one that lets you input a destination while the car's moving. I've driven some DVD based ones (the newer model Lexuses), which I have to do the override thing on. But on my GS I've always had no problem.

Am I the only one? I always thought it was like that...
Are you choosing pre-programmed places like a restaurant or are you entering an address?

CEO
Old 07-30-07, 09:58 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm entering brand new addresses. Hmmm... it makes me wonder why mine's doing that then. Oh well, I guess it can be a cool option I list when I sell the car!!
Old 07-31-07, 07:31 AM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalB
I have 2003 GS430....I followed the commands to get me into the system menu screen with override being one options to select. But when I go to push it nothing happens....I push the other buttons and they do something. I dont know whats up with mine.

I hate not being able to mess with my nav system while im moving

Never mind. You have to hold the override button down for a couple secs
Old 08-01-07, 06:34 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
I'm entering brand new addresses. Hmmm... it makes me wonder why mine's doing that then. Oh well, I guess it can be a cool option I list when I sell the car!!
I guess, Must be nice!

CEO
Old 05-24-08, 04:14 PM
lexesive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmygs300
I found the answer

2001 GS430
Press the menu button, then choose system option.
Press the top left of the screen, then the bottom left of the screen,
then the top left again, then the bottom left again,
then finally touch the bottom right of the screen. It will bring up a
system menu.
Choose the override button, then hit back.

2004 Rx-330,
Touch the DVD button from the Menu screen
then follow the directions from above.
The system menu pops up with the Override button
Played around with my 02 Australian Nav system and got it to work as follows, hit the following;

Menu, DVD, top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom right, overide, back.

Had to touch DVD button to get the sequence to work properly

Cheers Geoff
Old 12-24-08, 09:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmygs300
I found the answer

2001 GS430
Press the menu button, then choose system option.
Press the top left of the screen, then the bottom left of the screen,
then the top left again, then the bottom left again,
then finally touch the bottom right of the screen. It will bring up a
system menu.
Choose the override button, then hit back.

2004 Rx-330,
Touch the DVD button from the Menu screen
then follow the directions from above.
The system menu pops up with the Override button

cannot get this to work....can ne1 help me?
Old 12-24-08, 09:23 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for the guys with 98-00 that DO NOT have the ability to enter while driving, is it possible that this was a C-Best setting back then that maybe your previous owner overlooked?

taj, when you get to your nav screen, press the menu button. Then, look for the system option or preferences button (i forget which exactly it says). When you are in that screen, touch up left, down left, up left, down left, down right. Make sure you're doing this away from any buttons actually on the screen, i.e. extreme corners. Once that comes up you should see a few blue(? that's how it is on LS430) boxes with different options in them. There should be one that says Override or Nav Override or something to that effect. Press and hold that for a couple seconds, you should hear a beep (like setting a radio station) and then you are good to go.

One thing to note, this setting WILL NOT be saved once you turn your car off (i.e. you need to re-do it every time you get in your car. PITA but worth it for long trips with passengers i suppose)
Old 12-24-08, 09:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
for the guys with 98-00 that DO NOT have the ability to enter while driving, is it possible that this was a C-Best setting back then that maybe your previous owner overlooked?

taj, when you get to your nav screen, press the menu button. Then, look for the system option or preferences button (i forget which exactly it says). When you are in that screen, touch up left, down left, up left, down left, down right. Make sure you're doing this away from any buttons actually on the screen, i.e. extreme corners. Once that comes up you should see a few blue(? that's how it is on LS430) boxes with different options in them. There should be one that says Override or Nav Override or something to that effect. Press and hold that for a couple seconds, you should hear a beep (like setting a radio station) and then you are good to go.

One thing to note, this setting WILL NOT be saved once you turn your car off (i.e. you need to re-do it every time you get in your car. PITA but worth it for long trips with passengers i suppose)
well i have a 2001 with nav and ML and NONE of the hacks work....
Old 12-24-08, 06:50 PM
TheKoosh
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
well i have a 2001 with nav and ML and NONE of the hacks work....
me too and the override worked for me.. but as mentioned it doesn't keep that setting when you turn the car off
Old 12-27-08, 06:28 PM
turbo56212
Driver School Candidate

03 gs300 ml nav, like 'lexesive' posted, I had to press the DVD button after pressing the menu button, and the override worked. So, steps as follows 1. Press Menu hardkey 2. Select DVD 3. Press Up left corner of screen 4. Press Bottom left corner of screen 5. Press Up left corner 6. Press Bottom left corner 7. Press bottom right of screen. 8. Then press/hold the override function for about 3 seconds. Thanks for the hack info, makes using nav easier without having to pull over.

Last edited by turbo56212; 12-28-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 08:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheKoosh
me too and the override worked for me.. but as mentioned it doesn't keep that setting when you turn the car off
um i would like to see a pic of that. do u think u can snap a pic of that screen for me cause 2 of my other friends with 2001 gs's with ml cant get the screen to come up either!

Originally Posted by turbo56212
03 gs300 ml nav, like 'lexesive' posted, I had to press the DVD button after pressing the menu button, and the override worked. So, steps as follows 1. Press Menu hardkey 2. Select DVD 3. Press Up left corner of screen 4. Press Bottom left corner of screen 5. Press Up left corner 6. Press Bottom left corner 7. Press bottom right of screen. 8. Then press/hold the override function for about 3 seconds. Thanks for the hack info, makes using nav easier without having to pull over.
an i repeat i have a 2001. we dont have a DVD button, it wasn't a option on our cars back then! sigh, i didnt know ne model had a dvd button though
Old 12-29-08, 09:41 AM
TheKoosh
Driver

um i would like to see a pic of that. do u think u can snap a pic of that screen for me cause 2 of my other friends with 2001 gs's with ml cant get the screen to come up either!
haha sure will do. are you touching the absolute-edge of the screen? when i do that it doesn't work as well, so press your finger maybe a 1/4cm away from the corner and it should work. again it's menu, system option, upleft-downleft-upleft-downleft-downright. it is kind of handy at times, if anyone knows how to leave it on after the ignition is off let me know.
Old 12-29-08, 10:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

haha sure will do. are you touching the absolute-edge of the screen? when i do that it doesn't work as well, so press your finger maybe a 1/4cm away from the corner and it should work. again it's menu, system option, upleft-downleft-upleft-downleft-downright. it is kind of handy at times, if anyone knows how to leave it on after the ignition is off let me know.
i thought i was. u doing this from the startup screen or do u hit the ok to get to your map and then do it?
Old 12-29-08, 10:14 AM
TheKoosh
Driver

i thought i was. u doing this from the startup screen or do u hit the ok to get to your map and then do it?

Quick Reply: Nav Hack question