GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front Bumper Removal Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 05:14 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
My bumper is coming off in a day or two. I'll try to update my DIY site. Pretty busy now days so not too much time to update the site. I have a TON of pix, but just not that much time to compile them and put them together...heh.

That would be a great help.
Old 06-27-07, 06:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
My bumper is coming off in a day or two. I'll try to update my DIY site. Pretty busy now days so not too much time to update the site. I have a TON of pix, but just not that much time to compile them and put them together...heh.
That would be great jeff .. thanks
Old 07-15-07, 06:46 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Default Removing Front Bumper Removal

Don't know if the DIY pics got done.. so I removed my bumper today..I know what you guys mean by the vertical bolts are a pita! But I found that the lower bolt was easier to take off then the upper bolt..

I turned the steering wheel all the way to left (either way is fine)

Tools:
one socket wrench (the smaller the socket the better off you'll be)
one shorter 10mm socket
one longer 10mm socket
one flat screw driver (to pull out pushin screw)
one phillips screw driver (removing fog lights)

What I did:

1. I went ahead and first pulled the bumper liner bolt, 3 of them on each side, one was underneath the bottom liner hidden, I did not remove the wheel or the entire liner as it was enough flexiblity in the liner for you to get in and out.

2. Then went ahead and removed the 10 bottom screws that hold onto the bottom liner

3. Removed and unattached the harness to fog light 2 screws on each side

4. Then removed the the 2 little pushin screws in between our high and low beam, then I went ahead and removed the top headlight bolt (NOTE: There are 3 headlight bolts)

5. At this point I went back into the passenger side liner and removed the corner bolt on the bumper, removed the corner bolt. I did right side first as there is an empty pocket of room on the GS300 model there on the drivers side is where the windshield washer fluild resevoir is placed.

6. I pulled the liner away and viewed the verticle nut/bolts (at this point you can only see one bolt) I used the socket wrench with longer 10mm socket to remove this nut poc so far

7. Now I tried to get in to remove the upper nut on the vertical, and was unsucessful. So at this point I got under the car and saw the bolt that attaches the headlight, so using the shorter 10mm socket I removed that bolt

8. This was 2 of the 3 bolts for the headlights, I went ahead and pealed down the strap of bumper between the high beam light and low beam light and saw that there was a 3rd bolt holding the headlight using the longer 10mm socket I removed that, kind of tricky have to pull the strap forward and remove bolt

9. Your headlight is now completely unbolted I carefully pulled the headlight off be careful of the tabs as these break very easily go ahead and pull off the harnesses

10. Now the second vertical bolt is EASY to get to!!! I had gone ahead and removed that nut at that time. At that point you passenger side of bumper will come to the ground.

11. Now remove the 3 liner bolts from drivers side, removed the corner bolt and remove bottom vertical nut

12. Now the next step is to remove the 3 headlight bolts, the one on the bottom is a pita, I used the shorter 10mm socket and stuck one hand into the foglight hole and the other from under the car and position the socket on the bolt. You will basically be able to click 2-4 clicks on each turn so be patient.

13. Ones that is done you are home free. Remove the headlight and removed the top vertical nut and your done!

14. Now FEEL LIKE YOU ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING!!

Hope that helps, wish I had done a pic by pic, didn't think about it.

This whole process took me about an hour and a half. I didn't have instructions though so it is most likely an hours job with some decent instructions.

So now I am not sure how to put the new bumper back on..any help guys? I know it's easy to say just reverse, but with the vertical piece being where it is I'm a little worried on getting things bolted up correctly and securely.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Removal Instructions-bumper_headlight_removal_gs_w_notes.jpg  

Last edited by iamkhanz; 07-15-07 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 07-15-07, 07:16 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Good timing. I broke one of the M6 bulbs in the headlights and I cant seem to get it out. Now I have to remove the bumper to pull the headlight out.
Old 07-15-07, 07:44 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice write up. I didnt get the pictures done but the picture diagram is very helpful.
Old 07-15-07, 07:45 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up guy's
Old 07-24-07, 06:23 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

no problem guys wish I had thought of taking pictures too.. anyone wana write up something on how to put it back on? I can do it when I put it back on but i was hoping someone had already done it..I have a feeling some of those vertical bolts will be hard to get too.. I'm still waiting for my projector headlights..and bumper I bought from board needs to be painted still.. then the bc will roll again :-)
Old 07-24-07, 06:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

There's some pics on JeffTsai DIY Webpage..
Old 09-07-15, 03:01 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

SSJ2 bump!! I just used some of this thread to remove my bumper. But then I really used the video thats on YouTube that was flawless. I know you can remove the headlights without taking off the bumper but I spent more time trying to do that. I finally said F it and just took the thing off. Noticed I'm missing a horizontal 10mm nut on both sides. Missing a 10mm screw in the tire liner on both sides. That was upsetting as the culprits are the body shop who I let respray my bumper last year!
Old 09-08-15, 08:08 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.carid.com/2001-lexus-gs-h...l#view-gallery

came across this when i first got my car and looked into headlights. a full video of an installer changing the healdights which you have to remove the bumper anyways.

its a link to the pics but on the right are videos. its the first one with the white GS
Old 09-08-15, 08:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
http://www.carid.com/2001-lexus-gs-h...l#view-gallery

came across this when i first got my car and looked into headlights. a full video of an installer changing the healdights which you have to remove the bumper anyways.

its a link to the pics but on the right are videos. its the first one with the white GS
That's the video I used. I did this without the car being raised