GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Visual help request, wobbly steering knuckle (interior) -

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 08:05 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
gs-ireland,

I got your PM, I will just reply here. You probably read all my threads and I understand your frustration and everyone elses. Don't bother replacing anything. I replaced rack, joint (that you press with your foot), the whole steering column. I still have that rattle sound and loose feel in the steering over bumps going slowly. Lexus screwed up on this one, and as far as I know, you can't do anything about it but get a BMW, lol. The king of steering feel, in sedans. I was so frustrated with this steering problem, because this was the only thing I hated about this car, but after speaking to bunch of people on here, everyone had a same problem. Even DaveGS4 said somewhere on forum way back, that his car is better in everyway then an M5 after all his mods, but steering still is no good. I spoke to Toyota Mechanic that has 98 GS4 and he said he also tried to fix this issue, and said that you have to live with it, there is no fix.. If someone on this forum know how to, let us know.. But I am thinking of biting the bullet and going back to BMW, 04 545i sport.
by rebuilding the whole front end, did it get rid of the knock/clunking noise? how did you replace the shaft knuckles since these has play in them.
Old 04-29-07, 08:19 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no clunking is still there, over bumps at high speed I feel loose steering response, and if I go slow over bumps I hear clunking and steering feels loose. I had few issues with steering when I bought the car. My steering was just too loose at first, the shaft knuckle was bad, so that got rid of most of loose feel like 90%, then my steering tilt motor went, so I replaced the whole column I bought here on CL. I replaced the rack first before I replaced the knuckle, thought that was the problem, so I ended up just keeping the new rebuilt rack. The problem here is the design of the knuckle between the rack and the column, that is why we have these clunking and loose feel problems, because as it is described above the knuckle moves, poor lexus design or there is a fix, but no one seems to know how to fix it or bothers to share with us. I bet you Todd from TM Eng. knows how but I tried to get him to chyme on on this problem a few times, but I got no where, he is probably too busy for us little people.. lol.. but seriously, if someone knows how.. PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!
Old 04-29-07, 03:16 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dlomonosov,

Did you try the foot-pushing-on-shaft-when-driving-over-rough-ground trick???? Did it fix the problem (for the few seconds)?
Old 06-19-07, 08:55 PM
Giggzz
Driver

Has anyone heard or seen a fix for this? Has anyone replaced the steering column joint? Did it help?

Thanks
Old 06-20-07, 06:53 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced steering column, rack and joint, same crap.. I spoke to Toyota Mech and he has 99 Gs400, and he said it is what it is and it is a design glitch.. so we have to live with this crap steering feel..
Old 06-20-07, 06:41 PM
Giggzz
Driver

When I bought my 99 GS400 in 2000 I dont remember anything like it is today. Thats what makes me think it can be repaired. If I would have heard that while I test drove the car I would not have purchased it. If its something that cant be repaired I might have to consider selling it, I dont like the way the car feels and that noise.

I have repalced the tie rods and steering rack bushings, that helped with the vibration, but the lack of tightness in the steering is still bothersome.

What a shame this has turned out to be.
Old 08-04-07, 10:05 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

bump this post up. has anyone replaced the knuckle/shaft before? i'm starting to hear clunking from this area.

does anyone have a better repair manual on how to replace the knuckle shaft or better yet, a part number?

thanks
Old 08-31-07, 07:07 PM
sick_86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe, Maybe!

I have a 98' Gs300 and have that same problem! My whole intermediate shaft assembly (u-joint section) moves left and right, up and down about 1/2 inch. I am almost for sure it is the bushing/bearing where the actual steering shaft meets the steering column assembly. I'm not too sure if they have a direct bushing/bearing replacement for this, maybe a whole column assembly would be necessary?
Old 08-31-07, 09:46 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick_86
I have a 98' Gs300 and have that same problem! My whole intermediate shaft assembly (u-joint section) moves left and right, up and down about 1/2 inch. I am almost for sure it is the bushing/bearing where the actual steering shaft meets the steering column assembly. I'm not too sure if they have a direct bushing/bearing replacement for this, maybe a whole column assembly would be necessary?
i don't think you can access the bushing in the steering column. you would most likely need a whole new assemble which cost a lot of $$$$$$$$$. you may be better off getting a used one from a newer GS.

i took my steering assembly down and tighten everything and it's better but the play is still there. at this point, im going to live with it.
Old 05-26-08, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys lets sue Lexus! This is a seriuos issue that Lexus seems to completely ignore, and has cost a lot of us tons of money and aggrovation.

There's enough of us here to hire a lawyer and start a class action suit.
Old 05-26-08, 06:19 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Guys lets sue Lexus! This is a seriuos issue that Lexus seems to completely ignore, and has cost a lot of us tons of money and aggrovation.

There's enough of us here to hire a lawyer and start a class action suit.
Good luck with that lol. That's like doing a court marshall on a United States Army General.
Old 05-26-08, 09:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
Good luck with that lol. That's like doing a court marshall on a United States Army General.
Not exactly. I've participated in a couple class action suits against large companies, and won, all participants won.

Just look at the class action suit against Toyota over the 3.0 v6 engine sludge issues.
Old 05-27-08, 01:28 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Temporary fix I discovered for this problem:

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...2&postcount=17

I've discovered a temporary fix! .....with a couple of thin cable ties.

(I do have first batch of Daizen steering rack bushings, but it did not fix the problem as my problem is inside the car)

I was getting so annoyed with the play but mainly the shaking steering wheel ( I drive on gravel every day) that I recorded via my mobile-phone's video camera exactly what was going on with the shaft when I drove over rough ground.
I discovered most bumps pushed the main shaft downwards so it got me thinking, can I stop or absorb this movement?. So I tried this:

1. Removed the lower cover to expose the bottom of the steering column.
2. With the engine 'on' LOOSELY wrap a few cable ties around the steering shaft (the part that is ~3" long - exposed between the main column housing and the knuckle) and the steering column support bracket - its about 3" above the shaft. Have the cable-ties's clip away from all moving parts!!!!
3. Apply grease to where the shaft & cable-ties touch.
4. One by one, slowely tighten the cable ties (1 click at a time) as you turn your steering wheel left-right. As soon as you feel a little extra tension to turn the steering wheel STOP.
5. Re-assemble and go for test drive

What a difference!, I found that
- the steering is now so much more responsive and sharp
- no more steering-wheel shaking when I drive over gravel @5-10mph
- ALL the slack/play is gone.
- at 70mph+ I am not continuously correcting the steering due to the play

Disclaimer: As this a mod to your steering all responsibility is on the user if anything goes wrong due to overtightening etc. So use common sense!

Last edited by gs-ireland; 05-27-08 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 08:26 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not exactly. I've participated in a couple class action suits against large companies, and won, all participants won.

Just look at the class action suit against Toyota over the 3.0 v6 engine sludge issues.

Proven me wrong.
Old 05-27-08, 11:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

So where are the mods to create a sticky, so we can start the suit going?

Quick Reply: Visual help request, wobbly steering knuckle (interior) -