GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Disabling automatic tilt/telescoping steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 02:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Disabling automatic tilt/telescoping steering wheel

With so many 98-99 GS owners having problems with the automatic tilt/telescopic steering wheel (mine is fine, at least for now), I was thinking of having the dealer disable this feature on my next service visit. I don't really care for the feature one way or the other, and as long as I can still adjust the steering wheel with the joystick when I want/need to, that's all that really matters to me.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many others out there have disabled this feature and whether you think it's a good idea.

e
Old 02-11-07, 04:10 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you disable it if it's not broke? I love the telescope wheel. I say "if it ain't broke, don't fit it"
Old 02-11-07, 04:17 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The previous owner had that function disabled on my car. I kind of like it better. Plus it will reduce the wear and tear on the motor inside the steering column.
Old 02-11-07, 04:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigbea
Why would you disable it if it's not broke? I love the telescope wheel. I say "if it ain't broke, don't fit it"
I would disable it to prevent it from breaking. Think about it. My car is almost 8 years old. Those motors engage every day, 2-4 times per day, for the past 8 years. They're bound to go out eventually. And, once they're out, I won't be able to make any adjustments at all. I figure why not disable now while it's still working so I can still be able to adjust the steering wheel with the joystick. Does that make sense?
Old 02-11-07, 04:52 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

It may not be comfortable, but if you want that the motors dont work, you can always set the presets to pulled away position.

Salim
Old 02-11-07, 04:57 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the point of buying a luxury car only to disable the luxury features of it? Enjoy your car man.
Old 02-11-07, 05:02 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

I'm with e-man, I want to disable this feature to avoid a potential repair (common issue on LX as well). I asked my dealer a couple of years ago if there was a cbest setting for this and they said no. But I doubt that's the case though but I never followed up on this.
Old 02-11-07, 05:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrurmil
What's the point of buying a luxury car only to disable the luxury features of it? Enjoy your car man.
I hear you, but the auto tilt/telescoping steering wheel is just not one of the luxury features that I enjoy, particularly if it's prone to breaking. Let's use another example -- leather seats. I really like leather seats. I'll never buy a car without them. On the GS, the leather is prone to cracking on the outside portion of the seat back. To avoid this, I could cover my seat in sheepskin. But I don't like sheepskin, I like leather. If my leather cracks, so be it, I'll pay to have it fixed because that's a luxury feature I enjoy. If I had to pay a lot of money to fix something that I could do without, that would bug me. Does that make sense?
Old 02-11-07, 06:11 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Do you man, it's your ride
Old 02-11-07, 06:20 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrurmil
+1 It will be nice to know the steering wheel still works when all the other crap is broken.
Old 02-11-07, 06:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
+1 It will be nice to know the steering wheel still works when all the other crap is broken.
Right, but it will still work. You can move it up and down with the joystick as much as you want. I'm just talking about disabling the feature that automatically raises and lowers the steering wheel when you get in and out of the car.
Old 02-11-07, 07:58 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wonder why 2gen gs didn't have the switch that turns off this function,
my first gen gs had a button that would turn it off.
Old 02-12-07, 06:52 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Hey E-man it can be done at the dealer all you have to is go there and they should be able to do it for ya man
Old 02-12-07, 07:43 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, i hear a bit of grinding in extreme cold weather so i want to minimize the telescoping use
Old 02-12-07, 10:42 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

i test drove a GS with 200k mi on it and the telescoping steering still worked perfectly. i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Disabling automatic tilt/telescoping steering wheel