GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what would you do? (need your opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 02:35 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
i was kinda of in the same situation - my brother drives an 86 benz and he doesn't NEED a newer car but I was feeling generous during xmas time and was thinking about buying him a g35 that i was picking up for a helluva deal.

i suggest you do the same - find a good car at a great price and just buy it for him.
Clifford, please PLEASE put my number in a safe place for next Xmas!!

I think Neo is right, family dynamics would play a big part in the decision. What lesson your bro will take from this depends on what kind of guy he is and how you two relate, and only you can speak to that. If, like lots of young guys, he'll just take it as his due, like he can do whatever and somebody will always have his back, then I'd say let him find his own way out of this mess and he'll start to learn that he is capable of doing for himself. On the other hand if he's already figured out that the world is not all about him and his needs then you can help out however you feel is best. I still think if you weren't planning to buy a new GS already, why do it now? Why let this thing that happened with your bro force your hand? I'll go even further into your business, since I'm old enough to be your dad (46), I'd ask why are you thinking of taking on a major car payment and handing down your paid for car to your brother, and BOTH of you are still living at home! I dunno man, at most I could see helping him out with buying something that will get him from here to there or wherever, beyond that it seems like a recipe for hard feelings to me.

And for the 3rd time, what happened with the insurance already?

BEEP BEEP BEEP....backup, I went back and more closely read your post, you say you guys live in the same house, not at home, so squash that part, it's the dad in me, we want you damned kids out as soon as possible!! ;-)

Last edited by csq860; 01-20-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 02:50 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Dude are you insane!!!!!

A 19 year old with a nice car is a 19 year old about to have a smashed up car. Kids that young do not have the experience to drive as safe as they should or the sense of responsibility they should.

You give a kid a nice car that they didnt have to work for and they are not going to care for it as they should.

If you want to help him give him 1500 and go help him find a 92 Civic or something.

Under no circumstnaces should a working guy give Give Give a 20K+ automobile to a 19 year old kid. It is drama waiting to happen.

What happens if he smashes up your car or it gets stolen? He cant afford to buy you a new one can he.
Old 01-20-07, 02:50 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

And where is the insurance money for his car that got totalled?
Old 01-20-07, 05:33 PM
noop
Instructor

as for the insurance money... I gave it to my father to put away for him for a new car which was around 5800.00. The reason I did that is so that he doesn't go out and blow the money away, that way he wouldn't really be screwed. Also, I meant we live in the same house as in still with the parents . But at the same time, I trust him with everything, he always helps me out, and I always help him out. I don't know how to explain, but in a way I do want to help him, BUT at the same time you guys are right too.

I guess I really have to sit back and think it out some more. Yes I do want a newer car, but I have also spent tons of $$$ on this car to be just giving it away for 6 months. The way I looked at it is, instead of him buying a beater for 1500-2500, and then paying insurance on it, then having to worry about selling it when it comes to for him to get a new car, he can just take the GS pay the insurance for 6 months and he would be all set.

hope I have answered the ?'s, if not point them out to me.

btw thanks for the replys.
Old 01-20-07, 08:17 PM
csq860
Pole Position

So you ARE still with the parents, you rascals! Seriously, now that we know there's $5,800 in the picture, why doesn't little brother just use that to get another car, either as a nice fat downpayment or find a good car for about 6 grand? And if your answer is that he can't get a car loan then what is he going to do in 6 months when it's time to return your car to you? One possible scenario is to sell him your GS for a fair price, not book of course cuz you gotta give him the family discount but you still don't wanna get hosed on the deal, let him use the $5,800 as a downpayment to you and make payments to you for the rest, and you can use the $5,800 and the payments to offset the cost of the new GS for yourself. The only problem is you said you didn't want to sell your current GS, how firm are you on that?

I'll tell you one thing I learned the hard way, never lend anyone anything that you cannot afford to lose, cuz the fact is more often than not whatever you lend will not come back to you. Sad but true.
Old 01-21-07, 07:44 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo

I can't begin to guess at your family dynamics but my little bro would not dream of putting me on the spot like that. He is 19 and just totalled his car. It is not really his place to want to get a decent car. When his situation is good enough for him to get a decent car, he will get it. Right now, it is all about need. If it has to be a beater, so be it. Life is tough. If he has not learned that lesson, it is time for him to.

If this sounds harsh, I apologize. I have 2 little brothers and have had to put my foot down a few times. I am sympathetic to your plight.
I couldn't have put it better myself... It does sound a bit harsh but it is the reality of it. You, like many of us here probably worked very hard to buy your GS and mod it. So, what would happen (God forbid) if he totalled your car? , although it's not his fault, accidents unfortunately, do happen. Keep us posted, I would like to know how other people would deal with this as well.

BTW, my older brother is currently driving my daily driver, so I have to be putting miles on my GS while he fixes his car, so I have some type of experience with this subject.
Old 01-21-07, 07:58 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by csq860

I'll tell you one thing I learned the hard way, never lend anyone anything that you cannot afford to lose, cuz the fact is more often than not whatever you lend will not come back to you. Sad but true.
Or never lend something to someone that they can't afford. Man, I really don't want to sound harsh so sorry if I do. I'm very family oriented, but you have to be firm with siblings sometimes so that they can learn some life values.
Old 01-21-07, 08:39 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, true story... my little brother (1 yr. younger) got into an accident (at age 17) and the cost to fix the car was more than the value of the car. so he needed a car to get around. my parents helped him buy his 1st car so they werent going to buy him another. well, the pressure somehow fell on my shoulders and i went out and bought him a "beater" (it was actually much nicer than his 1st car... a maxima with leather, sunroof, cd player, everything). well, when the time came to pay me back for the car, he no longer wanted the car and couldnt really pay me back. i could have been mad at him, b/c i should have realized that he was not really going to be able to pay me back right away, but the fact he was like, i didnt really want it, made me mad. so i was stuck trying to sell it and not lose to much, which i did, but i learned a lesson. ITS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILTY TO BUY (or in your situation, give) A CAR FOR HIM... he should put himself in a position to overcome situations like this and he needs to learn that. i learned that the hard way and now he does. just a little tough love for your brother