GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help Plz..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 02:14 AM
njs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help Plz..

Hi this is my first post on this forum. Never had to post cuz everything I wanted to know I found through the search button. I might be buying a 2001 gs 430. The car has a supercharger with 70k miles on it.Don't know much about FI. This car will be used as my daily driver, and want a good reliable car. So will this car be more of a headache than it is helpful?
Old 01-06-07, 03:27 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I don't know much about FI myself, but I would say the reliability of the car is highly dependent on how well the previous owner took care of the car, as well as how well the supercharger installation was handled (eg. is the PSI jacked up too high for the stock internals to handle, what else did the owner do to the engine when he added the supercharger?)
Old 01-06-07, 06:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think we better let the FI guys chime in. As with any added power IMO you take the chance of risking reliability.. If proper maintance, tuning, install etc... are done right than you should be ok.. Definitely take the car and have it checked out...GL
Old 01-06-07, 12:00 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

reliability are you kidding

as with any car thats converted to forced induction wether it be turbo or supercharger reliability is no longer part of the equation.. its now how long before this or that breaks or ??????

forced induction is all about power , some systems are just more realiable then others given certain facts

you go forced induction because u crave power

the gs 400 platform was a engine never really designed for boost , some say on low boost with proper suspporting mods ie tranny cooler , maybe oil cooler etc etc etc constant fluid changes you can increase your odds for reducing issues but as a daily driver you are better off with a stock 400 or if you want alittle better odds in the realiabilty dept but want more power do the 300 and a good turbo kit like boostlogic's kit
Old 01-06-07, 12:00 PM
njs
Driver

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm going today to look at the car.
Old 01-06-07, 12:32 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

Another thing to consider ...

Where would you go if you have problems?

Delarship may be out of question related to engine and FI.

Salim
Old 01-06-07, 07:19 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njs
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm going today to look at the car.
Along w/ that others said.find out how much boost it pushing.. Low boost systems driven conservativaly I think will greatly reduce any issuses as long as fuel management system is ok.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-06-07, 07:50 PM
njs
Driver

Thanks for all the help.. Was suppose to meet the guy today, but got tied with outher stuff. So tomorrow we are going to meet, and I'll have a bunch of questions for him thanks to u guys..
Old 01-06-07, 07:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Since you are in California, I'd be very concerned about passing smog on your car. Ask the seller how he has done it in the past.

FI is fine but as all have said does put wear and tear on the car.

What FI is installed (SRT, RMM, XS, or LMS)? That may help focus responses to your question.

How much tuning has been done to up the HP? How aggressive is the tune? How much extra has been added to safely support the extra HP (fuel management, injectors and fuel pump, tranny cooler, etc).
Old 01-06-07, 08:00 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck listening to the horror stories from the Calli guys on this forum with respect to emissions and the mod police would make me not even consider FI out there. Unless of course I have been getting the wrong impression in terms of how bad it really is.
Old 01-06-07, 08:15 PM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by morris
Heck listening to the horror stories from the Calli guys on this forum with respect to emissions and the mod police would make me not even consider FI out there. Unless of course I have been getting the wrong impression in terms of how bad it really is.

Oh it's bad!! The Supra guys out here have been hit hard..
Old 01-06-07, 08:57 PM
njs
Driver

here's all the mods on the car. Also I think the supercharger is a procharger, with some lms parts.

$20k in upgrades, 400+hp, 70k miles, with rebuilt motor, navigation, 19inch wheels exxe, body kit, clear bra, coilover suspension, lowered, front mount intercooler, procharger supercharger, greddy catch can, hks sequential blow off valve, strut bar, rotora big brake kit front and rear, slotted rotors front and rear, cobalt guages, boost, fuel, trans, and computer, air fuel meter, i management computer, dynamat, subwoofer, stereo upgrade, led running lights, custom dual exhaust, alarm, xenon lights, rear spoiler,cd changer, much more, car is super clean, no dents, or scratches, interior is perfect , no rips or wear, no stains, very fast
Old 01-06-07, 10:11 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been looking at this car on ebay and was wondering if anyone was going to mention it. It doesnt look bad IMO if you lose the chrome headlight trim. Im a little skeptical why he didnt put more than just that one lousy pic up though, lazy I guess Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Old 01-07-07, 12:01 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is the GS your looking at.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256464

More pics of it-

http://www.sexy9whips.com/view_listing.php?id=1089
Old 01-07-07, 11:25 AM
njs
Driver

yes Gill that's the car I'm looking at. My cousin knows the guy really good, So hes going with me to look at the car. I'm suppose to meet him today and look at the car. thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Need some help Plz..