GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RPM Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-01, 05:38 AM
KRSims
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Advice

Wonder if you guys can give me some advice concerning breaking in the car.

We've had the GS430 for almost a month now and she has 1,500 miles on her, but the Tachometer rarely gets about 3,000 RPM in our daily driving.

Do you folks think its a good idea to push the engine to the 4,000 - 5,000 RPM range to "let it breathe"? If so, how to best go about it without driving at 100 plus mph? Yeah, Yeah, I know the car was built to do 100+, but the daily commute around Chicago does not lend itself to such luxuries!

Thanks for the information.

KRSims
Old 10-31-01, 08:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Easiest way to achieve high rpm w/o speeding is merely to manually shift and stay in 2nd (or 3rd if you are on the interstate). But with the tolerances engines are built to these days, there's not as much point to "loosening up the engine".
Old 10-31-01, 08:57 AM
fierce gs
Pole Position

ive also heard that after a good thousand miles u wanna get on the freeway and drive at around 80-90.

as far as getting your rpm's up...you could put it in third gear and drive with that. that way u wont need to go that fast to get ur rpms up..but i dunno if that serves the same purpose..lets see what other cl members suggest...
and i dont see why it would be a good thing for your car to get ur rpms up...anyone?
Old 10-31-01, 09:59 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Break - In

KR & Fierce - I take the opposite tact in breaking in an engine. I've tried doing it easily ( as the manual suggests ) & haven't had as much success as I do when I run it hard from Day #1. As MT says, today's rydes R built with close tolerances & generally will "loosen up" as U drive. I've become an advocate of breaking in a car like you're gonna drive it. For me that means I babied it for about 50 miles & then just stood on it!! Seen too many other times when U get a really nice ryde that the previous owner has babied & it tends to "take a set" to that driving style. Then when U wring it out, things start breaking ( at least IME ). We don't baby ( during break-in ) our offshore engines which run 24/7/365 & they run forever. I used the lower gear method to vary the rpms on my GS when I first took delivery - got on the Interstate & drove for awhile ( 1-2 miles ) in third gear ( @ 65 mph ) then into fourth & eventually into OD. Then I just drove back to the house in various gears/speeds ( enjoying the E-shift!! ). As long as U don't lock in on a steady rpm, the rings will finish seating & break-in's basically done. BTW - after my little cruise, I changed the oil & filter ( switched over to Mobil One at that time as well ) then settled into my regular oil/filter change schedule. Just go enjoy the car!!
Old 10-31-01, 10:32 AM
KRSims
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was wondering about the higher RPM's having read a post saying that you should vary the RPM's during breakin. I think I'll just keep cruising and let that be good enough.

We have gotten it up to 90 mph on the highway and, on top of that,I'm pretty sure that my wife has been doing some wild things with the car. We were exiting off the freeway the other day and she was pissed that folks were in front of us. I asked why and she said she normally takes the curve without slowing down. NICE!!!!!

BTW, I did do the Mobil 1 oil and filter change at 1000 miles. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of synthetics and use the stuff in all of our cars.

See ya.

Kirk