GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? about alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 06:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have an alignment question. I had my shocks replaced a few months back with OEM replacements. I also had the ball joints replaced at the same time. Lexus told me that I did not need to have an alignment done at the time because they didn't touch any of the components of the suspension that would affect alignment. My car rides straight with no pulling at all. Would I automatically need an alignment simply because I replaced the ball joints and shocks?

e
Old 08-02-06, 06:41 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope. assuming you were going from stock shocks to stock shocks - nothing they touched should have affected your alignment. the reason why the original poster needs to get an alignment is because his tie rods were replaced and those are definitely something that has to do with the alignment of the vehicle.
Old 08-04-06, 08:36 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question update...

ok, so i took my gs to firestone today to get a 4 wheel alignment....it was only $125! (150-25 promo discount)...not too bad for lifetime alignments.....

the steering wheel is now centered again...but the car still pulls to the right.....the mechanic said its because my tires were cupped badly....

i watched the entire process and accordign to the hunter machine...after the adjustments he made, everythign was in the "green" (meaning good)....he adjusted the toe settings...but he said he couldnt do anything about the camber settings...is that true?

my question is: will cupped tires really make ur car pull significantly? or was he just giving me bs?

the tires look like they have plenty of tread left....i couldnt really understand the mechanic cuz he had a heavy accent....
Old 08-04-06, 08:47 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by minla007
ok, so i took my gs to firestone today to get a 4 wheel alignment....it was only $125! (150-25 promo discount)...not too bad for lifetime alignments.....

the steering wheel is now centered again...but the car still pulls to the right.....the mechanic said its because my tires were cupped badly....

i watched the entire process and accordign to the hunter machine...after the adjustments he made, everythign was in the "green" (meaning good)....he adjusted the toe settings...but he said he couldnt do anything about the camber settings...is that true?

my question is: will cupped tires really make ur car pull significantly? or was he just giving me bs?

the tires look like they have plenty of tread left....i couldnt really understand the mechanic cuz he had a heavy accent....
Very possibly, but here's an easy way to check. Rotate the tires front to back. If one of the front tires is causing the pulling to the right, it should disappear with that tire on the back.
Old 08-04-06, 08:56 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by e-man
Very possibly, but here's an easy way to check. Rotate the tires front to back. If one of the front tires is causing the pulling to the right, it should disappear with that tire on the back.

Well...i just got my tires rotated...(front to back)...and before the rotation it was already pulling to the right....now after the rotation, ball joints, tie rods, alignment...it still pulls to the right....hmmm

maybe my whole right side is messed up (cupped)?...the mechanic said new tires will fix the problem....but i wasnt sure if he was tryin to "up sell" me on some new tires....i guess the cupping is severe enough to make it pull to the right

i plan on gettin new rims/tires anyways, so i guess i'll have to see if it still pulls once i put them on....if it does, ill just take it back and have them re-align it again.....
Old 08-04-06, 04:14 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

yes, the GS does not offer camber correction for lowered cars...

so you just got your tires rotated and you're still pulling...

things to think about:

1) Does the car actually pull or is the steering wheel just not centered when the car is driving straight?
2) Are your tires all properly inflated and at the same pressure?
3) Do you have cupping/feathering on your front tires? Are they evenly worn from side to side?
4) Does it happen only when you brake?

If (1) is your problem, then the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.
If (2) is your problem, make sure your tires are all inflated at the proper pressure.
If (3) is your problem, start saving up or looking around at rims - you'll be buying new wheels soon.
If (4) is your problem, your brakes may need to be addressed. Could be rotor issues, caliper malfunctioning, old pads, etc...
Old 08-05-06, 12:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just to clarify, i think you meant there are camber adjustments, but it's not enough to correct everything for lowered car just in case someone got confused
Old 08-05-06, 01:18 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rominl
just to clarify, i think you meant there are camber adjustments, but it's not enough to correct everything for lowered car just in case someone got confused
Yes, that is what I meant.

Thanks Henry. Basically once the car is lowered, any adjustments that are possible just aren't effective anymore.
Old 08-07-06, 08:51 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cliffud
yes, the GS does not offer camber correction for lowered cars...

so you just got your tires rotated and you're still pulling...

things to think about:

1) Does the car actually pull or is the steering wheel just not centered when the car is driving straight?
2) Are your tires all properly inflated and at the same pressure?
3) Do you have cupping/feathering on your front tires? Are they evenly worn from side to side?
4) Does it happen only when you brake?

If (1) is your problem, then the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.
If (2) is your problem, make sure your tires are all inflated at the proper pressure.
If (3) is your problem, start saving up or looking around at rims - you'll be buying new wheels soon.
If (4) is your problem, your brakes may need to be addressed. Could be rotor issues, caliper malfunctioning, old pads, etc...
cool, thanks for the tips cliffud.....

1. steering wheel is now straight (wasn't straight after the tie rod/ball joints replacement)
2. i think tires are properly inflated...will check them out today to verfiy
3. yes, mechanic that did my alignment said my tires are cupped pretty badly....
4. it doesnt pull when i brake....only when i am cruising...

again, thanks for your advice bro.

i guess the way to find out is to get some new tires and/or rims to see if it still pulls....
Old 08-07-06, 09:18 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

ok - so now that your steering wheel is fixed, and that we have established that your front tires are worn improperly, you can do one of two things...

1) drive the car as is and keep fighting the steering wheel to make the car go straight until the tires wear to the point that the cupped areas of the tires don't matter anymore.

2) get new wheels.

Now, if you just want to TEST if it is the tires before you go out and buy a set, you might want to just invite a fellow GS owner over to swap wheels for a few hours so you can find out.

If you really need new tires anyway- just bite the bullet and buy a set for now. If you have enough money for a whole set of wheels and tires - great - go for what you like.

Good luck man.