GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weapon R intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-01, 02:34 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the settings for the Apexi they used and the HP gains that they got?
Old 08-09-01, 03:09 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

Thanks GSPOWER
Yes, hope everyone knows that tuning does take some time but over all we made and got good results pretty fast. Sorry but again we are not using the APEXI!
AS for what this chip does, well you can control RPM, take out the speed governor and much more. Can't get into too much details right now but will later on. Just have to wait until my car is finally done. tuning and dyno does take much time but its for the GS RIGHT
Old 08-10-01, 10:32 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by y2kgs
Well, here is all the numbers as of yestherday. Sorry the chip that Weapon R is using isn't the APEXI but one that was made in Japan. My car is almost done with tuning but we are going to do one more run later on. We ran out of time given that my career isn't in the auto biz. Don't worry cause we might all have time to finish next week

These numbers are for a GS400 with 18's 275/245
Stock GS 236HP
SRT GS 249HP
Weapon R w/tunable chip 258HP but not done yet

Note that I was using a Stage II from Weapon R to run the test. Everything looks good right now so I will let you know more by next week. That is if we all have time
Hmmm....I am wondering if SRT will respond to the fact that their system only yielded 13 HP when it was advertised to have over 24HP????

I am having a VERY BAD feeling about the 600 bucks I spent on the SRT HFI/ECU... Is anyone interested in a used SRT HFI/ECU?

Maybe I should demand a refund...what's SRT return policy if not fully satisfied? YEAH RIGHT looks like I just wasted 600 bucks....SIGH

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 08-10-01 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-10-01, 10:51 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Dude..

Bliu.. I think you should take it easy.. HP gains are dependent on each car, not only the intake/ECU that you're installing. If y2kgs got a 13 HP gain instead of 24, that could be affected by a number of factors. The 18" rims for example. Unless they were the identical weight that the stock ones are, final HP numbers will be different. How about gasoline octane? And air density (humidity/moisture)? Also, each GS has a different history, maintenance, mileage, type of driving (soft/hard/etc.), and other factors.

Also, consider the fact that SRT is developing more "stages" for their intake ECU. There will be upgrades available - perhaps free of charge, that might surpass the Weapon-R / Apex-i combination.

There's also this: safety! There is only so far that you can push the engine in terms of timing, richness of the mixture, and fine-tuning of the ECU.

In your post you sounded like you were ripped off. I don't think that's the case at all.
Old 08-10-01, 11:13 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

No, I don't feel like I'm ripped off - YET

I just feel like that those numbers don't add up...

If you say those factors are limiting the true HP performance of the SRT then explain to me why the stock numbers are high to begin with?

Remember, y2kgs mentioned that he will dyno 3 different setups on the same day...first stock, then SRT, then Weapon R. That's the fairest way to compare. And one more thing, if y2kgs has 18" wheels then why are his stock numbers HIGHER than SRT's stock GS numbers advertised on their website...

So let's see...
y2kgs got 236HP stock
SRT from their website got 226HP
y2kgs got 249HP from the SRT HFI
SRT from their website got 248.2HP...so at least the final numbers are at least consistent

Something seems fishy here though...SRT's stock was WAY underpowered assuming a very generous 20% drivetrain loss that means the stock crank HP would be 283HP???? Should I sue Lexus for 17HP false advertising since it should be 300 crank HP??

The 236HP is more like the advertised 300HP at the crank. What am I to believe??

OK, so even if the SRT GS was WAY underpowered at 226HP and on their website they got 22HP increase then I would assume y2kgs should have yielded around 258HP. Why would SRT produce lower performance numbers and yet the Weapon R produce higher numbers? If we are going by the factors you had mentioned everything should be relative since it was dynoed that same day under the SAME conditions. If it is true that the SRT did not perform well on y2kgs car, then how do you explain the wepaon R's performance?

If they are willing to offer free ECU upgrades that will improve the performance - that's great! Kudos to SRT!!! I can understand that with more tuning comes better performance and improvements...However, if they ask us to pay more for the upgrade then that really sucks since I have already paid around 600 bucks for the SRT system while the Wepaon R/ECU combo is coming in at a much lower price with alledgedly better performance.

I am just waiting for SRT's explanation before I pass any judgment but I have a feeling I already know what the response will be...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 08-10-01 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-01, 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Well, here is all the numbers as of yestherday. Sorry the chip that Weapon R is using isn't the APEXI but one that was made in Japan. My car is almost done with tuning but we are going to do one more run later on. We ran out of time given that my career isn't in the auto biz. Don't worry cause we might all have time to finish next week

These numbers are for a GS400 with 18's 275/245
Stock GS 236HP
SRT GS 249HP
Weapon R w/tunable chip 258HP but not done yet

Note that I was using a Stage II from Weapon R to run the test. Everything looks good right now so I will let you know more by next week. That is if we all have time
Sounds good! So how does this Weapon R chip/ECU integrate with the electronics? Is it something an owner could do themselves? How is it tuneable, only by Weapon-R or by the owner? If by the owner, I'm assuming there's some safeguards to stop the owner blowing up their engine or just serious degrading the performance somehow.

I have this image of a big rotary **** inside the car with 'lean' on the left and 'rich' on the right. I'm sure it's more sophisticated than that!

Thanks for any answers.

Last question - when's the expected availability of this kit?
Old 08-10-01, 01:17 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BLiu

Hmmm....I am wondering if SRT will respond to the fact that their system only yielded 13 HP when it was advertised to have over 24HP????

I am having a VERY BAD feeling about the 600 bucks I spent on the SRT HFI/ECU... Is anyone interested in a used SRT HFI/ECU?

Maybe I should demand a refund...what's SRT return policy if not fully satisfied? YEAH RIGHT looks like I just wasted 600 bucks....SIGH

Brent
What are you talking about?????? The number that y2kgs posted for SRT(249rwhp) is the exact same number on the dyno sheet shown on ths SRT web-site..
Double check, they should match up.... The ONLY difference is the technique used when dynoing showed more "base-line" stock HP during the Weapon-R test.....MO posted an earlier description of why this would happen...If you do not follow the procedure listed by SRT, your dyno #'s(stock GS) will be skewed.....Brent, hope this helps you relax.....Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 08-10-01 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-10-01, 02:03 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Question

hey, where did y2kgs post his dyno? i must have miss something

anyway,
here is the full discription for the Apexi unit
http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp
just in case someone want to know.

i installed the unit on my other car before, not too hard, to install or make adjustment, just like setting a digital radio....anyway, but i have good electrical skill, look at my job description...probably not recommend just anyone to install the unit, you need to make connections for like 10wires

anyway, me want to see real dyno charts
Old 08-10-01, 02:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe SRT should do a new stock GS dyno WITH THE So-CALLED "INCORRECT TECHNIQUES" to see if they can actually come up with a higher number, or they're just hustling.

No offense to SRT.
Old 08-10-01, 02:54 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tinygs

What are you talking about?????? The ONLY difference is the technique used when dynoing showed more "base-line" stock HP during the Weapon-R test.....MO posted an earlier description of why this would happen...If you do not follow the procedure listed by SRT, your dyno #'s(stock GS) will be skewed.....Brent, hope this helps you relax.....Tiny
Tiny,

Could you please point me to that info where it descirbes the skewed stock HP using incorrect techniques as quoted by Mo. Thanks.

Brent

Old 08-10-01, 02:59 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

First the stock GS4 is 236 plus or minus 1HP at most. I think what Brent is say is that your not getting the 28-30HP that SRT claims to give which does suck cause I spent over 600 for mine. Just remenber that in any car when you add a intake. You'll get more HP right. tuning the ECU will of course add more which is why we all are doing so.
AS for the ECU upgrade from SRT, well its not going to be free I think. Nothing in life is free so nothing bad there. Besides I would buy one that is tunable by a local shop rather than always waiting or even hoping the SRT will tune the ECU for all the mods you add weather or not if its an SRT product or not. That makes life to hard and not always the bestt way to go. One of the main reasons why Weapon R had made a ECU and not use APEXI is safey. If someone just desided to make some changes than he or she not like the outcome and at worst kill the motor. This ECU chip does come with a safey so that we will not make or do anything to really damage the car/motor.
Over all its really up to you want want you want to do but the dyno readings are right so don't even go there. As for posting the dyno sheet I will need to talk with Weapon R but don't see a problem there. Just remember like all tuner, they are not going to do or post anything unless everything is done and final. As I said before, we are going to finish up soon maybe by next week.

Last edited by y2kgs; 08-10-01 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-10-01, 03:01 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

By the way, forgot to mention that you should and could red line on 3rd for any dyno. If you can't even do that than your in the wrong business. so I don't know what SRT is talking about.
Old 08-10-01, 03:27 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default I Don't Buy it...

Originally posted by tinygs

What are you talking about?????? The number that y2kgs posted for SRT(249rwhp) is the exact same number on the dyno sheet shown on ths SRT web-site..
Double check, they should match up.... The ONLY difference is the technique used when dynoing showed more "base-line" stock HP during the Weapon-R test.....Tiny
OK, I guess you don't know what I am talking about. y2kgs did all three dyno runs IN THE SAME "Skewed" method. Keep in mind that it's all relative. You can't just say the stock HP is high and so it is skewed, then you dyno the SRT next and all of a sudden the method is not "skewed" anymore and lo and behold it has the same numbers as SRT's published "non-skewed" figures. If all three dyno runs used the "skewed" method then tell me how come the Weapon R is that much better and for a lower price?

Thanks Tiny for trying, but I am not relaxed yet...

Brent
Old 08-10-01, 03:30 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, forgot to mention that you should and could red line on 3rd for any dyno. If you can't even do that than your in the wrong business. so I don't know what SRT is talking about.
Any tuner I have ever gone to and any dyno place I have ever gone to always uses 3rd gear for the peak HP run...SRT must know something noone else does...

Brent
Old 08-10-01, 03:47 PM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Default the direct drive gear (1to1) should always be used for dynoruns

All transmissions have the most direct path when in 1to1 mode. Less loss. It looks like they ran my dyno in 4th (the 1to1 for lexus 5speed), bc the top speed on the chart works out to about 138.

Quick Reply: Weapon R intake