GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP.....Noise Question on a 99 GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 04:46 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP.....Noise Question on a 99 GS 400

I just bought a 99 GS400 and when I drive the car on good paved roads it is fine, but (Sometimes) when I go over bumps I hear like a clunking noise like my right front shocks are loose... I guess. The shocks seem fine on the driver's side. I brought the car to a mechanic he did not see any issues. I hate to bring to the car to the "STEALERSHIP" but has this happened to anyone. By the way the car drives great other than the cluncking noise.
Old 11-16-05, 04:53 PM
rbeermann
Pole Position

i got that same noise, but its coming from the back right..let me know when you find out what your problem is.
Old 11-16-05, 05:45 PM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by VI Rep
I just bought a 99 GS400 and when I drive the car on good paved roads it is fine, but (Sometimes) when I go over bumps I hear like a clunking noise like my right front shocks are loose... I guess. The shocks seem fine on the driver's side. I brought the car to a mechanic he did not see any issues. I hate to bring to the car to the "STEALERSHIP" but has this happened to anyone. By the way the car drives great other than the cluncking noise.
Your issue sounds an experience that I had with my car.

My dealership replaced the suspension mounts on my 01. . .under CPO warranty...for free. They knew exactly what the problem was and exactly how to fix it. They gave me a free loaner so I could get on with my day. They returned my car to me washed and fixed right the first time.

How ironic that your "mechanic" couldn't find the issue and yet you call the dealership "stealership". Your time is worth something, isn't it?

If you have such disdain for the Lexus dealership you may not understand the full value of owning a Lexus and you might consider a Toyota next time.

As for me, I appreciate and value the professionals at my dealership probably because I value my time and a quality product and service experience.
Old 11-16-05, 06:48 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I had my local Lexus dealer do a search on my '01 GS and apparently it had the same issues in the front around 25K. The history showed that the front suspension had the mounts replaced due to a customer complaint of a "noisy front end going over bumps."
Old 11-17-05, 11:07 AM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I had my local Lexus dealer do a search on my '01 GS and apparently it had the same issues in the front around 25K. The history showed that the front suspension had the mounts replaced due to a customer complaint of a "noisy front end going over bumps."

That was exactly the issue with mine...noise on one side in the front, over small bumps...it occurred at about 50K miles but they replaced both anyway under warranty (CPO) without even being asked.
Old 11-17-05, 12:30 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belive its your brakes/caliper shifting which makes the noise
Old 11-17-05, 01:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like the loose swaybar TSB to me.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...3/su003l02.pdf
Old 11-17-05, 07:08 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Originally Posted by jroosh
Your issue sounds an experience that I had with my car.

My dealership replaced the suspension mounts on my 01. . .under CPO warranty...for free. They knew exactly what the problem was and exactly how to fix it. They gave me a free loaner so I could get on with my day. They returned my car to me washed and fixed right the first time.

How ironic that your "mechanic" couldn't find the issue and yet you call the dealership "stealership". Your time is worth something, isn't it?

If you have such disdain for the Lexus dealership you may not understand the full value of owning a Lexus and you might consider a Toyota next time.

As for me, I appreciate and value the professionals at my dealership probably because I value my time and a quality product and service experience.
Thanks to all for the response!! I will have my mechanic check these issues.

As for the comments by Jroosh... This is my Second GS and I know what the title looks like instead of paying the bank to drive my car. I just bought this car to have a vehicle to drive until I find my 745. The Lexus dealership overcharges for all services. 80 bucks for an oil change.... get real! Of course they can fix a Lexus that is all they do. My mechanic can fix anything. He just was stumped at the issue. Just like when you could not tie your shoes when you could not control your drool!!!

Sorry had to give him a piece of my mind.... and yes I had to switch to the BMW family! I bought an X5 and it put my GS to shame. Now I am in love with BMW vehicles. One thing that I will always say is that the reliability in a lexus is unbeatable!!! The 2007 LS is looking good so I may be back!!!
Old 11-17-05, 08:13 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

$80 for an oil change? That is a rip off!! I just had mine serviced at the local Lexus dealership for $44.00, plus they did a minor detail inside and out as part of the service. Car was ready on time looking beautiful.
Old 11-18-05, 01:23 AM
LexGS
Rookie

Default thanks chuckb

I too just recent;y bought a super nice condition Lexus GS300 with 38K on it. I also am noticing a thump, thump from my right sire front shock area when I go over small and large bumps. I know that this sound is not normal. I will take it to dealer to have it checked out. I purchase an afer market warranty that will cover the expense to have it repaired at the Lexus dealer. I will let you know what happens. But thanks for the nice doc, very cool.

I am about to put in new Bilstein PSS into my baby this weekend so I hope all will work out.

Thanks again

LexGS
Old 11-18-05, 06:48 AM
jroosh
Driver

Originally Posted by VI Rep
Thanks to all for the response!! I will have my mechanic check these issues.

As for the comments by Jroosh... This is my Second GS and I know what the title looks like instead of paying the bank to drive my car. I just bought this car to have a vehicle to drive until I find my 745. The Lexus dealership overcharges for all services. 80 bucks for an oil change.... get real! Of course they can fix a Lexus that is all they do. My mechanic can fix anything. He just was stumped at the issue. Just like when you could not tie your shoes when you could not control your drool!!!

Sorry had to give him a piece of my mind.... and yes I had to switch to the BMW family! I bought an X5 and it put my GS to shame. Now I am in love with BMW vehicles. One thing that I will always say is that the reliability in a lexus is unbeatable!!! The 2007 LS is looking good so I may be back!!!
Sorry - I'm on my third Lexus and obviously you have had a very different dealership experience...while I believe you get what you pay for, I think it's worth it to spend a little more for the conveniences and for the record-keeping but an oil change is an oil change and $80 is too much.

My dealership charges about $40 for an oil change and I get to sit in a leather chair watch satelite TV or access my network via their wireless network. In fact, I have taken my other non-Lexus vehicles there for service.

Have you ever given them that feedback or tried to negotiate? My dealership hates to lose business to someone else.
Old 12-08-05, 05:50 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Have you taken to your dealership!?!? What have they said. I have not had the time to take this in yet?
Old 12-08-05, 05:51 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Originally Posted by jroosh
Sorry - I'm on my third Lexus and obviously you have had a very different dealership experience...while I believe you get what you pay for, I think it's worth it to spend a little more for the conveniences and for the record-keeping but an oil change is an oil change and $80 is too much.

My dealership charges about $40 for an oil change and I get to sit in a leather chair watch satelite TV or access my network via their wireless network. In fact, I have taken my other non-Lexus vehicles there for service.

Have you ever given them that feedback or tried to negotiate? My dealership hates to lose business to someone else.
Have you taken to your dealership!?!? What have they said. I have not had the time to take this in yet?