GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 12:00 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tps is 63. by the way know mine did that too. The dealer change the throtle body and tps. Everything is 100% . It helps that you proved what the main problem was to the tech. Now he knows you have a clue and is alot less likely to second guess you anymore. Tell him that my throttle body and TPS was bad and no CEL. he told you in the past that a MAF can not go bad with out a CEL, therefore he proved him self wrong this time if he say the tps has to show a code if its bad remind him of the MAF he said had to show a code. you will get more new parts out of it an your car will return to new again lol. Next time you go in give the tech a $20 or more if he is gonna order you the other parts. You are learning the art of dealing with a tech quickly Grasshopper.
Old 05-27-05, 12:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time you go in give the tech a $20 or more if he is gonna order you the other parts
I never have to bribe techs with money. I do however, write real nice things about them on those questionairs they leave in your car. they get scrutinized or praised by managers for those. the service writer and tech that work on my car are very eager to get things right. I know I got lucky, some of the service writers and techs just push as much crap as they can on you.
Old 05-27-05, 03:49 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by knowtoe04
Quick update:
Did a ride with the tech this morning and I was able to duplicate the problem 4 times!! He actually saw the RPM's drop a few times which is great news. I asked him "what about the TPS"? He said that if it was that the computer would have an error code. After we drove for a while he was re-thinking his earlier comment. He say that he would have to get in there and "look at the data a little closer". I'll keep everyone posted.
And for the second time, thanks for the update! I check this thread at least 3X daily for your updates. Got my fingers crossed hoping you get it fixed, because I'll be next. Thanks.
Old 05-29-05, 04:33 AM
vdawg
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Glad I ran into this thread. I am currently experiencing the same issue with my GS and will be checking in...inquiring minds want to know...
Old 06-01-05, 08:20 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Back in for round 2 and they made me do another drive with the tech. This time it did not "cut out" but I did talk to the tech and he said that when he was able to duplicate it last time the MAF dropped way off (like I said before) but now he tells me that the data he captured did show the MAF dropping way off but it was still within the allowance which is why it did not display any error codes. I asked then why did you replace the part. Didn't really have an answer for me.

Today he is going to call his engineer at Lexus North America and share the data he got the other day which he did not do last time. I thought he did but he told me that he was able to pick out the MAF before he got the guy on the phone. Over the weekend it started to do "it" a lot and even did it a couple of times after I backed out of the driveway.

Anyone want to buy a car?????
Old 06-01-05, 08:26 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

knowtoe04 - are you still under factory bumper to bumper new car warranty?
Old 06-01-05, 09:01 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

No, the only warranty that is still left is the powertrain which is 6/70. The car has 63k on it and the MAF that they put in last week was covered.

If they give me any crap today I may start to threaten them a little and am prepared to just buy the throttle body and TPS that Fisher recommended and have them put in myself.

I'll keep everyone posted.....
Old 06-01-05, 09:32 AM
TXGS
Driver

What do you mean "cut out"? I had a hesitation problem that seems to be corrected when the dealer replaced the MAF sensor. I would be stuck in traffic at around 30 - 35 mph and when I would pull out in another lane and simultaneously smash the gas to the floor nothing happened for a good 2 seconds. Just enough time for some one to rear end me.
Old 06-01-05, 09:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

No, the only warranty that is still left is the powertrain which is 6/70. The car has 63k on it and the MAF that they put in last week was covered.

If they give me any crap today I may start to threaten them a little and am prepared to just buy the throttle body and TPS that Fisher recommended and have them put in myself.

I'll keep everyone posted.....

how'd you get them to cover MAF?
Old 06-01-05, 09:50 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

TXGS,
That is exactly what is happening to mine except that it is still doing it after the replaced the MAF. My wife pulled into an intersection the other day and when she went to step on it the pedal went to the floor and nothing. It eventually took off but only after a couple of seconds.

It seems to really do it when it's cold for some reason.
Old 06-01-05, 09:51 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Chuckb,
They told me the MAF is/was part of the powertrain which has a 6/70 on it.
Old 06-01-05, 10:42 AM
TXGS
Driver

TXGS,
That is exactly what is happening to mine except that it is still doing it after the replaced the MAF. My wife pulled into an intersection the other day and when she went to step on it the pedal went to the floor and nothing. It eventually took off but only after a couple of seconds.

It seems to really do it when it's cold for some reason.

I'm going to pay a bit more attention this afternoon when I leave the office to see if I still have that hesitation issue. Before the MAF sensor was replaced the car didn't seem to hesitate as much when the ECT/PWR switch was on. It was scary when the switch was off.
Old 06-01-05, 10:51 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Chuckb,
They told me the MAF is/was part of the powertrain which has a 6/70 on it.
nice-I didn't know that. Are the throttle body and TPS also supposed to be covered under powertrain?
Old 06-01-05, 12:00 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

If a MAF is powertrain then a TPS and Throttle Body should definitely be power train.
Old 06-01-05, 12:27 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

I think both of those parts will be covered. The only challenge will be getting them to replace them. When the tech was giving me his "with the allowance" speech this morning it was almost like he was telling me that he did me a favor.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I explained to him that it happens when I am cruising at about 35 and I just barely release my foot off the pedal. That is when it happens the most. His comment was "well you are taking your foot off the gas, somewhat". I said ya but something should be there every time I hit the pedal and in this case it's not. It's like stepping in mud.

Quick Reply: GS430 cutting out