GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 08:38 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember in this thread it says tip him well and he will do it for you.
Hey If you tip him really good he may change all 3 parts for you.
I Love Brand new Parts. My Car has 81K miles My Tranny has 1K.
Old 05-25-05, 09:44 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

JellyBean,
You described my experience to the letter. The dealer is supposed to call me this afternoon with their results and I will get the tech on the phone and ask him if he has thought or considered the items that Fisher put forth.

If they say they haven't or don't think it can possibly be those and still want to charge me the $200 for driving it they'll get an ear full. My next step would be to buy those parts and have my normal mechanic put them on for me. He's the one who found me earlier voltage problem and is who I normally use. I'll post after I pick up my car and let you know how it went.
Old 05-25-05, 01:50 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Well, just talked with the dealer and no error codes means they won't touch it. Man that burns me. It happens to me everyday and doesn't do it for them in 2 days? I mentioned that I thought it might be the MAS and he seemed to agree but couldn't do anything without an error code. The MAS would be covered under the warranty. It could be something else and I even caught him saying that it "sounds like a throttle positioning issue". Again, no error codes no touch.

I am going to drive with a tech first thing in the morning to see if it will do it again.
Old 05-25-05, 02:29 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knowtoe04
Well, just talked with the dealer and no error codes means they won't touch it. Man that burns me. It happens to me everyday and doesn't do it for them in 2 days? I mentioned that I thought it might be the MAS and he seemed to agree but couldn't do anything without an error code. The MAS would be covered under the warranty. It could be something else and I even caught him saying that it "sounds like a throttle positioning issue". Again, no error codes no touch.

I am going to drive with a tech first thing in the morning to see if it will do it again.
Typical. There are very few techs who can actually troubleshoot a problem. I almost bought a Jag because one of the best techs I know is a friend is a Jag tech.
Good Luck
Old 05-25-05, 03:33 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
my 430 never had a miss, but the low idle with the air off prob became a little worse. I took it to the dealer and they replaced MAF(car had 26k miles) and now it's fine.
You just described my problem. Did your car vibrate with the air or the lights off? Mine is doing that right now, and I am bugging out. No one knows how to fix it.
Old 05-25-05, 04:02 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by knowtoe04

knowtoe04
Good luck tomorrow morning, and keep us posted. I too have considered selling the car because of that problem alone. When it's acting up, it's impossible to drive smoothly. It's a shame because the GS would otherwise be a "perfect" car.

Fisher503
I always "buy coffee" for my mechanics at the local independent "honcura" shop. They've been great, and they know how to troubleshoot. If the Lexus techs fix my car, you can be sure that I'll "buy Starbucks" for them!
Old 05-25-05, 04:20 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Slickgt,
No, mine does not vibrate just basically goes to sleep. I am thinking of just buying the MAS that Fisher503 recommended and have my own mechanic put it in. It's a roll of the dice but may fix the problem. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll let you guys know how it goes after my ride-along tomororw.
Old 05-26-05, 06:42 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

So, updates please.
Old 05-26-05, 06:54 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
You just described my problem. Did your car vibrate with the air or the lights off? Mine is doing that right now, and I am bugging out. No one knows how to fix it.
you could just tell it was idling a little rough, but I think it was because it was idling to low(like 450-550rpm-only with ac or lights off). the exhaust would get a deeper bass sound and it would barely viabrate. after they changed the maf and I reset ecu, it doesn't go below 600 with ac/lights off.

If I where you I would get a new MAF and reset ecu. with 90k miles it can't hurt.
Old 05-26-05, 07:26 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Go to you tech and say I know my car I drive it everyday. A MAF or a TPS can go bad and show no codes. Put 2 $20 bills in his hand and tell him see what he can get done.
Parts 220 +shipping
40 to tech and he loves you after that. Win win to me.
You must grease the wheels of progress and the pockets of your mechanic to get things done grasshopper.
Old 05-26-05, 08:53 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the problem still there or have you fixed it
Old 05-26-05, 09:47 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Quick update:
Did a ride with the tech this morning and I was able to duplicate the problem 4 times!! He actually saw the RPM's drop a few times which is great news. I asked him "what about the TPS"? He said that if it was that the computer would have an error code. After we drove for a while he was re-thinking his earlier comment. He say that he would have to get in there and "look at the data a little closer". I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-26-05, 01:43 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
you could just tell it was idling a little rough, but I think it was because it was idling to low(like 450-550rpm-only with ac or lights off). the exhaust would get a deeper bass sound and it would barely viabrate. after they changed the maf and I reset ecu, it doesn't go below 600 with ac/lights off.

If I where you I would get a new MAF and reset ecu. with 90k miles it can't hurt.
84k lol. But yea you are right. I am going to reset the ECU first, and see what it does, than move to the Maf if that doesn't work.

Knowtoe, deffinatelly keep us updated. And I am and IT Manager for my company, which sell watches. I usually bring a pair of those peices of crap with me and give them to the techs. **** gets done withough question.
Old 05-27-05, 11:30 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

Ok...here's the latest. The service guy called last night and told me that after I rode with the tech he went back out with the scanner (not sure what it is called) plugged in and every time it did it's thing the MAF dropped "way" off. Part was ordered and I just picked it up. Holy moley..it spun the tires and got a little sideways out of the parking lot. Fun!

But, it did the same thing a few miles down the road. Now however, it does it at exactly 40mph so I am starting to think it is the TPS. Fisher was right when he said MAF first then it could be others. I think the MAF is the most expensive part so that is in at no charge. What a difference all the way around. The work order says that mine had moisture in it and was leaking.

I am going to give it the weekend to see what happens and maybe even reset the ECU but not sure yet. If its still doing it on Tuesday then back it goes for more parts. I'll post again next week.
Old 05-27-05, 11:57 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you're getting closer. I would tell them right away though that it is still acting up.

how much does a MAF sensor cost? I thought they are only like $40.

Quick Reply: GS430 cutting out