GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 battery question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 06:09 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow GS400 battery question

I have a 2000 GS4 with only 20k miles and it went dead on me after I was gone for 2 weeks on a business trip but all lights were functioning properly with no dimming. I checked the terminals and clamps and they were clean and tight and no interior lights were left on during my absence. I put a 5 amp trickle charger on overnite and the battery took the charge and the car started fine. It's been a week after the recharge and so far it starts every day with no problem. Since I travel often and common for me to leave the car in the garage for 2 to 3 weeks in a stretch, this is the first time I have ever experienced a starting problem on this GS and it really bothers me. Here are some of my questions:

1) Can this episode mean my battery is nearing the end of its useful life even when the car only has 20k miles? The age of the car is 4 years and 9 months.
2) What group size is this battery? Can't find such info in the owner's manual.
3) What is your experience on the GS battery as far as life span is concerned?
4) What is the warranty on the original battery? Can't find that in the warranty booklet.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-26-05, 06:44 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I have a 2000 GS4 with only 20k miles and it went dead on me after I was gone for 2 weeks on a business trip but all lights were functioning properly with no dimming. I checked the terminals and clamps and they were clean and tight and no interior lights were left on during my absence. I put a 5 amp trickle charger on overnite and the battery took the charge and the car started fine. It's been a week after the recharge and so far it starts every day with no problem. Since I travel often and common for me to leave the car in the garage for 2 to 3 weeks in a stretch, this is the first time I have ever experienced a starting problem on this GS and it really bothers me. Here are some of my questions:

1) Can this episode mean my battery is nearing the end of its useful life even when the car only has 20k miles? The age of the car is 4 years and 9 months.
2) What group size is this battery? Can't find such info in the owner's manual.
3) What is your experience on the GS battery as far as life span is concerned?
4) What is the warranty on the original battery? Can't find that in the warranty booklet.

Thanks for your help.
Can't answer all your questions but here's what I can offer you:
Time and environment affect battery life. My oem battery went out at about 42 months. Under new car warranty, Lexus replaced the battery at no charge.(there''s no pro rating used) If car is under CPO warranty but out of new car warranty, the battery is not covered. For what it's worth, my wife's battery in our 2000es 300 is still good
Old 01-26-05, 07:53 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Interesting thread...

My car is similar to yours in that it is also an '00 GS4 with low miles (mine now has 24k). I just started a thread in the engines forum asking about the Optima batteries because I am concerned about the very thing that happened to you.
I know that battery life is often-if not always- dependent on the time of service, not so much the mileage on the car. After 4 years or so, it's definitely time for a replacement!
FYI, here is the link to my thread re: Optima batteries:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148053
Old 01-26-05, 09:57 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

I would do this, have your battery checked to be sure, then when you leave the car for extended periods use a 2 -5 amp AUTOMATIC trickle charger or just disconnect your negative battery cable until you return, either way your car will start when you return.
Old 01-27-05, 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm this is weird. my battery had been in the car since early 98 and all the way till last dec (12/04) did i change to a new one. 4 yr with 20k miles i think it's kinda too early for the battery, maybe the battery was discharged before or something?
Old 01-27-05, 05:38 AM
fasted1953
Driver

I've got 47K mi on my 99 GS400, basically 5 years, and just put in my third battery. I have a very short, moderate speed commute to work. My 97 Mercedes e420 went thru batteries even faster. I think that not running the car enough causes the battery life to diminish. The blistering hot Texas summers don't help either. In the case of my Lexus batteries, the dealer felt that the batteries had defective/shorted cells both times.

FWIW, the dealer told me that they use Interstate batteries, with a lexus label slapped on it. I think Interstate is supposed to be a pretty good brand from what I remember reading.
Old 01-27-05, 07:33 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heat is bad for batteries too. In FL sometimes batteries only last a year or so. my 01 GS w/24k still has orig battery though. I hope it dies while I'm still under bumper to bumper, I only have 3 mos. warranty left.
Old 01-29-05, 06:40 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Talking

Here's an update on my battery. It started to lose charge and by Friday morning it was down to half despite I had it charged up Thursday evening so I knew it was time to get a new one. Called Lexus dealer Friday and they told me that the battery group size is 24 for both GS4 and GS3 and the original battery is rated 575CCA. They carried a replacement battery made by Interstate for $90 plus installation with 2 yr full replacement however that battery had been on the shelf for awhile. I called Sears and they wanted $80 plus $10 installation on their Diehard Gold but didn't have a group 24 with the positive terminal on the right. I went to Sams Club and they had a huge supply of fresh batteries (shipped Dec 04 and Jan 05). For the group 24 size, they carry one for $39 installed with 2-yr full replacement and another for $57 installed with 3-yr replacement. I wanted the 3-yr but because it also comes with optional side connection, the side terminals interfered with the Lexus battery cover. The 2-yr battery was the only one that would fit inside the battery cover since it doesn't have side terminals. It is rated 685CCA and it starts my car up great now. Not bad for only $39!
Old 01-29-05, 01:11 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Just make sure it "sealed type". I had a poor experience with the other kind in a previous car.

Salim
Old 01-29-05, 03:07 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i just replaced my optima red top today with an interstate 85 month one. optima was put in sept '00 so im disappointed in that. it had been getting so bad these past few months that i couldn't even leave my car for a couple days w/o having the optima die. oh yeah and ive put in 20-30k miles since the optima was put in.
Old 01-29-05, 03:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlssonLS400
i just replaced my optima red top today with an interstate 85 month one. optima was put in sept '00 so im disappointed in that. it had been getting so bad these past few months that i couldn't even leave my car for a couple days w/o having the optima die. oh yeah and ive put in 20-30k miles since the optima was put in.
dude, 4.5 yrs out of a battery is good. I've never had an interstate last that long.
Old 03-07-05, 10:18 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I think my battery is at the end of its life also. So, what's the deal here? Should I go with the more expensive Optima batteries (even though, I'm all stock), or should I pick up something less expensive at Sears or Pep Boys, etc.

Also, do they give discounts if I bring my old battery in?
Old 03-07-05, 12:11 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I get my car batteries from Costco ($35 - $40 the last time I remembered) - all the acid batteries on the market are pretty much the same, but you will pay a lot more at an auto parts store or dealer.

The Costcos in my area don't charge the "core" fee when purchasing a battery (they will accept dead batteries at their tire centers), but most auto parts stores do until you bring in another car battery. I've never heard of a discount from bringing in an old battery unless you're getting a pro-rated warranty refund for your old battery.
Old 03-07-05, 12:53 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
I get my car batteries from Costco ($35 - $40 the last time I remembered) - all the acid batteries on the market are pretty much the same, but you will pay a lot more at an auto parts store or dealer.

The Costcos in my area don't charge the "core" fee when purchasing a battery (they will accept dead batteries at their tire centers), but most auto parts stores do until you bring in another car battery. I've never heard of a discount from bringing in an old battery unless you're getting a pro-rated warranty refund for your old battery.

That's good to know thanks for the info
Old 03-07-05, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
I think my battery is at the end of its life also. So, what's the deal here? Should I go with the more expensive Optima batteries (even though, I'm all stock), or should I pick up something less expensive at Sears or Pep Boys, etc.

Also, do they give discounts if I bring my old battery in?
imho, unless you have some heavy duty audio, there is no need for optima. noraml interstate battery is like 1/3 of the price of the optima, and it runs well no problem. plus it has 5 yrs warranty and the optima only has 1 i believe.

Quick Reply: GS400 battery question