GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tail lights match or not??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 09:53 PM
pgt89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights match or not??

I just installed 03 tail lights on my 99 GS400. Is it me or do the inner tail lights not shine the same color as the new outer lights. The reds seem fine when the lights are off but when they are on it seems like the outer lights are a deeper red and the inner lean more towards an orange. Any one else experience this issue?

I decided that I only wanted the inner lights to shine when I press the brake and not when the parking lights are on so I snipped the wire and now it doesn't look as bad.
Old 01-24-05, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pgt89
I just installed 03 tail lights on my 99 GS400. Is it me or do the inner tail lights not shine the same color as the new outer lights. The reds seem fine when the lights are off but when they are on it seems like the outer lights are a deeper red and the inner lean more towards an orange. Any one else experience this issue?

I decided that I only wanted the inner lights to shine when I press the brake and not when the parking lights are on so I snipped the wire and now it doesn't look as bad.
seems like a problelm for some people here. if you want ,just try to buff out the inner tailiights and see if it shines better
Old 01-25-05, 02:01 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how about?

I originally thought there were 2 ways to fix this problem.

1) buy new inner tail light lamps - 80 bucks from Carson Toyota.
2) buy red colored bulbs to use in inner tail lamps

I suppose if you wanted to avoid the problem altogether you could snip the wire to prevent it from lighting up but that issue of having different shades still exists and - it exists at the most noticeable moment - when you're braking or stopped at a light.

As far as buffing it, that doesn't change the shade of the lens. The lens has actually undergone fading over the course of the years and I think buffing it will - well - make it a shinier faded lens.

I know some of the SC or LS guys are sticking reddish transparent tape over it and although that might work - it just seems tacky. Pun not intended...

Originally Posted by pgt89

Last edited by cliffud; 01-25-05 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-25-05, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
I originally thought there were 2 ways to fix this proble.

1) buy new inner tail light lamps - 80 bucks from Carson Toyota.
2) buy red colored bulbs to use in inner tail lamps

I suppose if you wanted to avoid the problem altogether you could snip the wire to prevent it from lighting up but that issue of having different shades still exists and - it exists at the most noticeable moment - when you're braking or stopped at a light.

As far as buffing it, that doesn't change the shade of the lens. The lens has actually undergone fading over the course of the years and I think buffing it will - well - make it a shinier faded lens.

I know some of the SC or LS guys are sticking reddish transparent tape over it and although that might work - it just seems tacky. Pun not intended...
another problem with the red tape is that it will reduce the light output in some cases
Old 01-25-05, 03:25 PM
pgt89
Rookie

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 01-26-05, 04:02 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default re

go to a speed shop and buy red translucent spray. It works wonder. Just remove the lights, spray evenly a couple of coats and let dry and re install. I costed about $25 a can.
Old 01-26-05, 05:08 PM
pgt89
Rookie

Thanks for the advice but I fixed the problem. The lenses matched in color except that when the lights were on (parking or brake lights) the inner lamps wouldn't shine a true red so I installed red bulbs and now the match perfectly. I still have them so they only come on with the brakes, they are not part of the parking lights anymore.

Last edited by pgt89; 01-26-05 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 05:25 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah ha! I thought that would be a good solution.

Turns out I didn't need the inner tail lights from Carson Toyota. I called up the shop and complained about the tail lights being different colors and they shared those concerns with the insurance company.

1 day later - new tail lights paid for by the insurance company!

Now I can put the old ones into the coffee table! wooooooooooo!