GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

22s aint that bad after all...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 03:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BLu_Gs3
i like it . . i would honestly go wit 22s if we can actually make turns with it on. The bigger, the better. I just dont see the point of lowering your car for? theres no point of that . . to me, thats just "RICEY". The GS is a luxury vehicle not a honda civic. This is just my opinion but i think at least 4 TVs is a must, decent system, chrome rims, not silver or polished, and a mature looking body kit, something like LXOGOOD's GS and others on here. It has a fancy look to it, like 10 years from now the car would still look hot, nothing too crazy looking like that eurubini kit that alot of GS owners in NYC has . . to those CL members from NYC, you guys should know what im talking bout ! They should just slap themselves! lol
So let me get this right. It doesn't make sense to lower your car, which is functional. It makes your car not just look better, but handle and feel much better.
But instead, it makes sense to destroy your car and suspension trying to fit large wheels that are not built to fit in the car.
Have you not heard of the +3 commandments? The largest you are to go without destroying your car is no more than 3 sizes larger than the factory wheels. Since the GS 400 could be had with 17" wheels, 20s are the largest that the car is built for. And that is stretching it. The dubs guys will tell you the ride is harsher and the car is a tad slower due to weight but damn, it does look beautiful.

You say the GS is a luxury vehicle and not a honda civic. Well it ain't a Hummer H2 nor some fake balla Altima. So wheels over 20s, are a

Old 01-05-05, 03:19 PM
johnsGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THATS NOT MY CAR BY THE WAY....

i personally drove a 2nd gen GS on 22s, it only rubs when you throw U turns or atleast close to U turns, and it drives like if it was on 20s on stock suspension. here is the pic of the GS i drove down in a LA car lot. i think its called "J star motors"? when i went down there and asked him how it drives? he said.. ohhh.. it rubs a little when you make sharp turns, but other than that, its close to 20s. i personally think the rear of the car looks good with the duece dueces, but the front is another story.

Last edited by johnsGS; 01-05-05 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 03:22 PM
LexFather

Sorry, it looks hideous. And there is no way 22s ride like 20s. Because 18s don't ride like 16s, and 20s don't ride like 18s and 19s don't ride like 17s. There is a good difference in road feel when you loose 2 inches of tires to soak up that road.

To each his own. At least lose the 22" sticker. Doesn't mean much when they got clowns on 24s, 26s, 28s and 30s today...

Old 01-05-05, 03:27 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i like it . . i would honestly go wit 22s if we can actually make turns with it on. The bigger, the better. I just dont see the point of lowering your car for? theres no point of that . . to me, thats just "RICEY". The GS is a luxury vehicle not a honda civic. This is just my opinion but i think at least 4 TVs is a must, decent system, chrome rims, not silver or polished, and a mature looking body kit, something like LXOGOOD's GS and others on here. It has a fancy look to it, like 10 years from now the car would still look hot, nothing too crazy looking like that eurubini kit that alot of GS owners in NYC has . . to those CL members from NYC, you guys should know what im talking bout ! They should just slap themselves! lol
Lowering a Lexus is RICEY???
Dude, u have to stop watching MTV, BET & stop reading DUB magazine.
Old 01-05-05, 03:54 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just say to crack....

You claim it's ricey to drop a GS, but its OK to throw huge rims on it just so you can bend em on our lovely NYC streets...........

you give us NYers a bad name.....
Old 01-05-05, 03:59 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

I love starting trouble! lol Anyways, in response to all those comments, I would rather have 22s than drop my car . . and yea there are gonna be pot holes but im sure none of us drives careless in a lexus so yea i would be avoiding potholes and not run into them. And to ATSOU . . Lowering a lexus is ricey . . brings the value of the car down . . thats just me . . if i wanted to drop a car i would buy a civic, RSX, and whatever cheap coupe is out there. I look @ lexus as one of the top luxury car companies out there . . how many benz's you see dropped? how many jags you see dropped? bimmers? its rare if you do see one. Im not here tryin to offend anyone . . but its just how i feel . . im sure im not the only person here feeling this way.
Old 01-05-05, 04:02 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

NT2SHBBY . . i rather have huge rims than be "RICEY" . Next hater please . .
Old 01-05-05, 04:06 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

NT2SHBBY . . i rather have huge rims than be "RICEY" . Next hater please . .

newsflash tough guy......BIG RIMS AND NO DROP = RICE.....

as for the bimmers not bein dropped and benzes not bein dropped......LOL!!! perhaps you don't get out too much....

on Franny Lew in Bayside, Powerhouse Gym--some diesel guido rides a CL600 on 20's SLAMMED

damn near every M3 and M5 in Queens/LI is dropped on something

I suggest you re-evaluate what "rice" truly means
Old 01-05-05, 04:08 PM
LexFather

I love starting trouble! lol Anyways, in response to all those comments, I would rather have 22s than drop my car . . and yea there are gonna be pot holes but im sure none of us drives careless in a lexus so yea i would be avoiding potholes and not run into them. And to ATSOU . . Lowering a lexus is ricey . . brings the value of the car down . . thats just me . . if i wanted to drop a car i would buy a civic, RSX, and whatever cheap coupe is out there. I look @ lexus as one of the top luxury car companies out there . . how many benz's you see dropped? how many jags you see dropped? bimmers? its rare if you do see one. Im not here tryin to offend anyone . . but its just how i feel . . im sure im not the only person here feeling this way.
Its cool. So let me educate you. Lexus, BMW, Benz, Jag etc come with stock suspensions. That is fine. You might not be aware that these companies offer sport versions of their cars, which always offers a drop in suspension as they upgrade to bigger wheels.
Lexus-l-tuned drop
Benz-AMG or sport drop
BMW-M or sport drop
Jag-R type drop

So from the factory, you can either have the regular suspension, or a lower suspension. So its not ricey. Its functional. The function is to provide a more sporting ride with the luxury.

You are right, it is rare to see one. That is what seperates the top tier modders from the amatuers. A person who is a modifier expert, can tell a car that has big wheel and no drop a mile away. And it makes a huge difference in feel and looks.

Its cool, just trying to help here.

Please don't misuse "rice". Rice is adding things to your car that have no function or parts to your car that don't belong. Adding Lexus wheels to a Civic is rice. A Lexus with LED washers exhibits rice. A Honda with a Hartge or Lorinser sticker is rice.

Old 01-05-05, 04:10 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

So based on your theory, you'd also consider putting 22's on a Bentley, or a Rolls Royce?! Where does the madness end?

Last edited by jmjs23; 01-05-05 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 04:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

And to ATSOU . . Lowering a lexus is ricey . . brings the value of the car down . . thats just me . . if i wanted to drop a car i would buy a civic, RSX, and whatever cheap coupe is out there. I look @ lexus as one of the top luxury car companies out there . . how many benz's you see dropped? how many jags you see dropped? bimmers? its rare if you do see one.
I'm going to play devils advocate and assume that when you say RICE, you are talking about those cars that are SLAMMED on the ground and when they drive they are bouncing all over the place, then yes if someone did that to a Lexus, it would be rice. Thats the best part of modding a Lexus. You can buy QUALITY parts that acheive a intended purpose without sacrificing other facets of the car's performance. The other cars look ricey, because the parts that availible must be cheaper to appeal to the intended buyer (RSX <Lexus GS<MB S500, cost of parts wise
). Perfect example, my brother has a 2000 LS400 with 20" Lowenhart LD1's and L-Sportline Lowering kit (1.75"), the car has a nice stance and it rides almost stock. I'm quite sure you would not consider it rice. IMO if you increase the diameter of the wheels more than 1 inch, you HAVE to lower the car, to bring it back to the correct height or else you just totally altered the look of the car and just left it jacked up at one end.

Think about it this way, would you go buy a expensive designer suit and then let arms and legs be too big, because it "tacky" to hem the pants, and take in the waist? Hopefully not. To me thats what lowering is, your just giving the car a alteration to make it sit properly. What if bigger is better applied to suits, and we all wore our dress clothing 2 or 3x too big? LOL

See, if you do it properly you won't be able to tell. NO non car crazy person has ever asked me if my car is lowered, when I'm in Bed-Stuy or East NY, guys just walk up to me and say "why your rims look so perfect in the wheelwell son?" LOL A properly lowered car makes you ask "why does that car look so nice, it only has wheels right??"

As far as lowering expensive vehicles, here is a link to a Mercedes Benz CL65 that was recently lowered with a Kleeman Lowering module. I dont know about you, but if its good for the guy with the $185,000 Mercedes then its good enough for me!! With a straight face, I would like you to inform this gentleman that his car is rice! LOL

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93090

Sorry for the long post, but it bothers me when people consider the proper form of modification "rice", thats stereotyping!! LOL I'm not really much for the flaming, just think we can all get our points across

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 01-05-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 04:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

THIS, is RICE!! LOL (my car stock with 20's) Kinda looks like someone imaginery person is holding the car up by the roof right? Look at how far that front bumper is off the ground!! Sort of like a airplane taking off (higher in front, lower in rear)

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 01-05-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 05:39 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

LMAO D2 hey man we all learn some the hardway some learn from others
Old 01-05-05, 06:55 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default too big

i think it looks horrid, i mean leave the big rims for the trucks and suv's. 20 inch is plenty on most if not all cars, 7 series, lexus ls, s class, xj, any and all sedanS, caprices wth 24 is stupid, monte carlo's with the 26 is stupid, 8 outta 10 people who know nothing would agree that a huge rim is stupid looking on a smaller car. I say throw dem spinnazz on that bia!!!
Old 01-05-05, 09:22 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

BLu GS3, since u mention about me, I'll have to SAVE u from the "DUB is the bomb, spinners make the world go around" sickness.
How many Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar & BMW u see on the road that really have GOOD wheels? Most of them have those $1,799 with tires 20x8.5 bling-bling setup.........Do they have taste? To me, they look just like those Chevy Impala with big wheels......CHEAP, player wanna be or baller wanna be if u want to call them that way. Others with some Lowenharts, BRABUS, Hamann, Hartge.....most of them just walk into Sprewell Racing and pay retails for their BLING DUB. They don't know nothing about wheels. They don't know nothing about tire sizes, wheel width, offset, forged or cast. They just want people to think "Wow, that foo is loaded." DUB style isn't about taste in cars, is to show off their wealth. Money doesn't buy taste......too much show off makes them look like a bunch of retards.

Quick Reply: 22s aint that bad after all...