GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with front door lock assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 03:13 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with front door lock assembly

anyone have a manual that explains how to remove and replace the passenger front door lock assembly?
i took off my door panel and rested it on the ground. i guess the weight of the door panel snaped the door lock cable housing (made of plastic).
the cable housing can not be replace by itself. i was told i need a new door lock assenbly. i ordered one from the dealer and want to know how to install it.

for those who are going to take off your door panels, disconnect both cables and don't run into this problem.

thanks

Last edited by corkycal; 11-12-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 08:40 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that. Did it happen the first time you got the panel off? Did you elevate the panel off the ground a bit? Did it tip over?

e-man
Old 11-12-04, 08:54 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

i did not elevate the panel, my mistake. i guess it may have blown over with a slight breeze, not sure.

does any one have a repair manual with this procedure? if so, please pm me or email the pdf file.

Last edited by corkycal; 11-12-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 09:28 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think anyone is replying because no one has actually attempted this themselves....except for me =)

take the door panel off....you know where all the screws are so ill skip that...

tools youll need:
Phillips head screwdriver (to take off the door panel)
Socket wrench or gear wrench number 10
and a Torque-30....commonly known as T-30
flashlight

after you have taken off the door panel and ensured that the WINDOW IS COMPLETELY AT ITS UP POSITION, youll notice that there is a plastic sheild where you can see the door lock actuator cables are going through....

1. you need to peel back the plastic sheild about half-way off...go slow because you dont want a goopy mess from the sticky stuff that the manufacturers put the sheild on with... to make the cleanest peel back, use an exacto knife to cutaway at the goop.

..why do you need to make this clean? it will look better when you re-apply the shield.

2. use the gear wrench 10 and the flashlight to get to the door handle from the inside...there are three 10mm bolts holding the door handle to the door that you need to loosen....two are on the left side and one is on the right side (thats if you are looking directly at it from the inside of the door). at this point you may see five(5) 10mm bolts but you only need to get three(3) of them off to take the door handle off, so make sure you loosen the correct three. Remove the door handle by lifting up from the outside of the car then outwards...it has a little edge at the bottom to snap it in place.

...why do you need to take the door handle off? because the door lock acutuator has two bars that go into the door handle from the inside and you need to take those out to take the whole actuator unit out.

3. go to the side of the door....where the actual lock mechanism is where it meets the car when you close the car door....you will see three(3) star shaped bolts...those are T-30 bolts....take all three of them out... now go a short distance to the inside of the door at about the same level...you will see one more silver T-30 bolt...loosen that one also...when you loosen that last T-30 bolt...it will free up the door lock actuator...but it will ALSO free up the WINDOW track....dont be alarmed it is a VERY flexible track and you will need to move it out of the way to take the door lock acutuator out...as it is a very big unit for such a small opening.

4. unplug the two(2) harnesses that are connected to the actuator...and there you have it...a removed door lock actuator...

5. do the reverse to re-install the new one =P

these instructions are written solely off my memory of doing this 2 weeks ago on my driver side door. So excuse me if they are a little bit off....but from what i can remember im dead on about the process...i did it in about 20 minutes...VERY EASY job. g'luck
Old 11-12-04, 10:56 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

panda,

thank you for the detailed instructions. where do you get a t-30 socket? gear wrench 10? is this a rachet with a 10mm socket at the end?

you mentioned loosening the three 10mm bolts to get the door handle off? you don't take out the bolts but loosen them? i guess i have to take a better look inside of the door.
Old 11-13-04, 04:18 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

loosen = take them out completely....check PM calvin...
Old 11-13-04, 06:44 AM
TOYOFAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to do this with 2 of my doors. How much did the door lock assembly cost?
Old 11-13-04, 08:16 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

pm replied with more questions.

from doing a search, it looks like my door actuator is going bad. it can unlock but it has a hard time locking.

for thoses who have done it yourself, how do you work and get tools inside the door panel, it looks so tight with little or no movement.

thanks

Last edited by corkycal; 11-13-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-04-05, 06:28 AM
Krupski2
Driver

I know this post is old...but I had to bump it because I just replaced the door lock assembly. What a pain in the ***. I have been SOOO impressed with the quality of craftmenship of this Lexus GS300, but the door lock assembly and the door handles receive low marks in my book for many reasons. Anyway, If your mechanically inclined, do it yourself, but take your time. If not, pay to have someone install it!
Old 01-14-07, 01:09 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Please help..
I am trying to remove the driver side front door panel. After I remove the 8 screws I kinda push the panel upward, there are 4 connectors still connecting to the door panel. My question is, is it safe to pull door panel out BEFORE removing the connectors? Or should I remove the connectors first BEFORE pulling the door panel further?
Old 01-14-07, 01:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Assuming you removed ALL the screws (including the one hidden behind the chrome door handle), you can pull the panel away from the door from the bottom first. Just apply gentle pressure and the peg connectors will release from the door. I believe there are two or three connectors that run along the bottom of the panel, and one or two that run up each side of the panel. Just take your time, and apply slight pressure, and you'll feel those pegs release. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

e
Old 01-14-07, 03:25 PM
Krupski2
Driver

Follow the directions above! Perfect! I have pulled mine out SO many times that it pops off too easily. I have lost or broken 1 of those plastic pegs, so keep an eye on them!

Old 01-14-07, 05:29 PM
pardo
Pole Position

How can I get this connector out? There are 2 tiny-ball like that connects to the inside door handle...
Attached Thumbnails Help with front door lock assembly-ball-harness.gif  
Old 01-14-07, 06:28 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pardo
How can I get this connector out? There are 2 tiny-ball like that connects to the inside door handle...
I was never able to figure that one out, so I would just let the panel rest on a step stool that I placed right next to the inside of the door. I've been told that you need to pull the cable straight out (in other words, parallel to the door), but that connector breaks very easily and I never had the guts to do it.
Old 01-14-07, 10:21 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Basically a very simple process. The harnesses are first fitting into the respective hole either the handle or lock and than the white plastic and black plastic piece just snap in. What you have to do to take them out is pull on the plastic clip, try to get it as close to the part where it snaps into as you can. Not when you pull that out, you have to wedge the ball out. Now that the plastic is not clipped in you have slack to work with. Basically you manuever the whole harness so you can twist the ball enough to turn it to get it out thru the whole. I modified you picture to show this 2 step process. It is simple dont worry its very hard to make a mistake. Just dont tweak the cables too much they are steel so you can bend them back, just enough to get the ball out of the whole.

Quick Reply: Help with front door lock assembly