GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ECU reset itself

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 04:06 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question ECU reset itself

Just came back from a long 2 week business trip. My GS hasn't been started during that time. Just this morning I tried to start the car and the rpm quickly bounced between 1500 to 2500 rpm. I'd shut the engine off, restart and it did it again. After a few start and restart I'd decided to press the throttle to maintain a 2000 rpm for a few minutes. Tried starting the car again without depressing the throttle and the rpm idle remained at about 1500 rpm. Let the car run at the 1500 rpm idle. After about 10 minutes I shut the car and restarted the rpm drop to about 1000 rpm. Let it idle for about 5 minutes and restarted the car again. Now the idle rpm drop to 700 rpm. All these time the AC was still on. Restarted a few more time and the idle maintain a 700 rpm (w/AC on) and 450 rpm (w/o AC). During the early starts and restarts the car idle very rough but did finally smooth out.

Does anyone know if the ECU resets to default setting if it has not been driving for a long time?

Chu...
Old 11-15-03, 04:36 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hei chu...

welcome back.. no wonder why i havent been seein ur car around. well, as for my experience in this matter, when i leave my car here for sometimes even a week, when i start it again, RPM's go real high, the engine is real rough, and sometimes it knocks for about a good minute. dunno what it is, but everytime i tell larry or dex about it, they say it's normal... that the car is trying to get the oil pressure up real quick or something... but still i think this is a bad thing. maybe design flaw?

~manny
Old 11-16-03, 03:24 AM
James2210
Driver School Candidate

If the engine was running rough or lumpy (car vibrating more than normal), it could have been a misfire. Was the car left in a cold or damp environment for those two weeks?
Old 11-16-03, 03:38 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by James2210
If the engine was running rough or lumpy (car vibrating more than normal), it could have been a misfire. Was the car left in a cold or damp environment for those two weeks?
Yeah. The car is park at my condo's parking lot expose to the environment (not covered). I was told that weather had been mix of rain and sun for the past two weeks. I am located in Guam which is a tropcial island in the pacific where the temperature is between 76 to 90 degree.

The engine has been running smoothly so far when I started the car this afternoon. Haven't taken the car out for a spin yet since my return from my trip.

Chu...
Old 11-16-03, 03:43 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by babyGS3
hei chu...

welcome back.. no wonder why i havent been seein ur car around. well, as for my experience in this matter, when i leave my car here for sometimes even a week, when i start it again, RPM's go real high, the engine is real rough, and sometimes it knocks for about a good minute. dunno what it is, but everytime i tell larry or dex about it, they say it's normal... that the car is trying to get the oil pressure up real quick or something... but still i think this is a bad thing. maybe design flaw?

~manny
Hey Manny:

Probably will call Larry or Xavier tomorrow to ask them about the problem. One thing I did not mention was the squeaking sound on the pulley(s). After the engine warmed up the sound disappeared.

Chu...
Old 11-16-03, 04:09 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

SQUEAKING!!!!

that darned squeaking. i've had that since the car was new. every cold morning start, including the rough idle and knocking. they couldnt replicate the situation. if you ever get any fix for this, let me kno! By the way, Larry is out on vacation. i was supposed to bring in my car on thursday to have a suspension noise that's been goin on forever looked at. The driver's side creaks when braking, making a turn, and going over bumps ... this has to be simultaneously. I apparrently have to do this everytime i get into my driveway. So that's the only time i hear this. They say they can't replicate the situation either. oh well... these are only minor bugs. i've lived with them for the past 4 years. hopefully they'll just somehow disappear!!! hehehe ei, hope ur car's ok mahn!!! take care...

~Manny
Old 11-16-03, 04:21 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by babyGS3
SQUEAKING!!!!

that darned squeaking. i've had that since the car was new. every cold morning start, including the rough idle and knocking. they couldnt replicate the situation. if you ever get any fix for this, let me kno! By the way, Larry is out on vacation. i was supposed to bring in my car on thursday to have a suspension noise that's been goin on forever looked at. The driver's side creaks when braking, making a turn, and going over bumps ... this has to be simultaneously. I apparrently have to do this everytime i get into my driveway. So that's the only time i hear this. They say they can't replicate the situation either. oh well... these are only minor bugs. i've lived with them for the past 4 years. hopefully they'll just somehow disappear!!! hehehe ei, hope ur car's ok mahn!!! take care...

~Manny
Manny:

I am going to buy some flexible tubing and make a make shift stethoscope to help pin point which pulley is making the sound. When it rains over the night I would get the sound.

Talk to Xavier regarding the noise while braking and turning at the same time. I have a similar problem and they are going to replace the both front calipers. That was about 1.5 months ago and probably the parts has arrived. Didn't go to my office today to check my mail for the service appointment notification card. Larry was aware that I will be leaving the island for 2 weeks.

Chu...