GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

easy to change alternator? should I buy used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 05:35 AM
LexArs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy to change alternator? should I buy used or new?

I recently bought a GS300 1997 model. Alternator has gone on it. How easy is putting a new one in? Would anyone recommend getting a used one or should I always go new? Thanks
Old 05-18-17, 07:23 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can remove it and have it rebuilt. Many of the rebuilt ones you get at an auto parts store are inferior quality so its better to stick with your OE unit. I wouldn't recommend a used one either way.
Old 05-19-17, 01:50 AM
SuperStree
Driver School Candidate

It is easy to remove. Just a couple bolts and connectors. Make sure you disconnect the battery before. You also need to remove the accessory belt which is easy.
Old 05-21-17, 09:38 PM
kwikracer
Driver School Candidate

It is quite simple I just did it on my 94 on Friday night after work. I took off the plastic intake thingy on top of the fan shroud. Disconnected the battery loosened the belt by turning the tensioner pulley bolt clockwise (had my wife help me cuz I was using a short ratchet with the box end of a wrench that fit on the ratchet end for leverage.) Slipped off the serpentine belt and took off the nut that has the wire that goes to the positive terminal and the alternator plug. Took off the top bolt and my lower nut was missing since who knows how long so I just slid it off that bottom bolt (anyone know what size nut that is?) and pulled it up through the top. Had it rebuilt or whatever they do for $90 slid it back in onto the bottom bolt and inserted the top bolt reconnected the nut and the plug had my wife help me slide on the belt and voila.

I had read the tensioner pulley sets the correct tension so although I am not sure if there is an actual procedure I just turned it on and the engine sounded weird and the A/C pulley was making a weird sound and my A/C was hot. I was going to run the car but I thought maybe I had routed the belt wrong so I turned it off and looked up a diagram and it was good so I turned it back on and all was well. I'm guessing the belt was just loose and was in the process of self-tensioning.

If you can change your oil you can replace the alternator.
Old 06-22-17, 01:56 PM
phemobay
Driver School Candidate

Hello Lexus people,

my GS300 Ignition was changed and the car stated but missed timing

the engineer didnt get the timing right so i hear a sound (kra) whenever i do a sharp rev but when i do a normal rev (slowly) it doesn't make the noice.

note that I dont have anyone with timing light but i have volt metre.

please what are the side effect and the solution
can it knock my engine if drive to a distance place as it is now