GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

white smoke with strong gas smell....... Whats the cause...????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 12:22 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default white smoke with strong gas smell....... Whats the cause...????

hey guys......
i have a 93 GS300 (non-cali spec)..... with a 2jz-ge

let me give you guys a run down of my car....

when i bought it.... the computer was throwing codes relating to the O2 sensors...
i replaced O2 sensors but the computer was still throwing those codes.

once the ignition was turned on, u could hear the hissing of fuel running in the engine.... i was told that the ecu needs to be replaced

replaced ecu..... what do u know...... computer wasnt throwing any more codes......... car was still running a bit dogy...you could still hear the hissing of fuel !!!

checked the distributor brush and it was seriously damaged and needed to be replaced.... car ran way better after it was replaced.....

up to this point..... absolutely no smoke.... car was running slightly rich and you could still hear the hissing of fuel........ (even after injectors were changed !! )

ok...... so i decided to give the car a full service and here is a run down of all that was changed/added

changed!!!
- distributor cap
- iridium spark plug
- spark plug cables
- engine oil
- oil filter
- injector seals and o-rings
- air flow meter
- ignition coils (both that sit on left side of engine bay)
- PCV valve (that sits on right rocker cover (facing the engine))

added!!!
- oil catch tanks were added
- air intake was replaced with free flow intake + filter (this was replaced long before servicing the car)

the whole intake manifold was lifted to get to the injectors to replace em and lifted couple more times to replace injectors again n replace seals and o-rings (previous ones were damaged n gas was spraying from em slightly so they were replaced asap)

i tried to replace all vacuum lines as best as possible following the diagram in the engine bay... only ones im not sure about are those for the EGR......

so even after swapping around ecu...... i get teh same result !!
thin white smoke with strong gas smell..... of course when the gas pedal is pressed, the cloud gets thicker..... (ohh.. when u try n rev the car...rpm drops like its gonna shut of before picking up)

I know its not my head gasket, i know my cylinder walls aint warped or cracked because the car has been parked.... it wasn't being driven any at all.......

this white smoke all started since car was serviced!!!
the only other time i have ever seen it do the whole white smoke this is some time ago after re-inserting the intake pipe with filter and forgetting to plug in the afm..... it smoked and ran rich until i plugged it back in n it ran fine (at the time... i was using the ecu i had bought and the car wasnt serviced yet n all em things listed under change were not done n the oil catch tanks were not added)

could both ECUs have gone bad ??
could it be a timing issue......
could the wiring or my afm have been messed up??

im wondering if i should put back old spark plug cables etc.....

and as for the hissing of fuel... that continues ! regardless of either ecu i put in there....

i wonder...... the second ecu i got.. i had started car n driven it in the parking lot once with no issues
Old 01-08-16, 08:33 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skytechja
hey guys......
i have a 93 GS300 (non-cali spec)..... with a 2jz-ge

let me give you guys a run down of my car....

when i bought it.... the computer was throwing codes relating to the O2 sensors...
i replaced O2 sensors but the computer was still throwing those codes.

once the ignition was turned on, u could hear the hissing of fuel running in the engine.... i was told that the ecu needs to be replaced

replaced ecu..... what do u know...... computer wasnt throwing any more codes......... car was still running a bit dogy...you could still hear the hissing of fuel !!!

checked the distributor brush and it was seriously damaged and needed to be replaced.... car ran way better after it was replaced.....

up to this point..... absolutely no smoke.... car was running slightly rich and you could still hear the hissing of fuel........ (even after injectors were changed !! )

ok...... so i decided to give the car a full service and here is a run down of all that was changed/added

changed!!!
- distributor cap
- iridium spark plug
- spark plug cables
- engine oil
- oil filter
- injector seals and o-rings
- air flow meter
- ignition coils (both that sit on left side of engine bay)
- PCV valve (that sits on right rocker cover (facing the engine))

added!!!
- oil catch tanks were added
- air intake was replaced with free flow intake + filter (this was replaced long before servicing the car)

the whole intake manifold was lifted to get to the injectors to replace em and lifted couple more times to replace injectors again n replace seals and o-rings (previous ones were damaged n gas was spraying from em slightly so they were replaced asap)

i tried to replace all vacuum lines as best as possible following the diagram in the engine bay... only ones im not sure about are those for the EGR......

so even after swapping around ecu...... i get teh same result !!
thin white smoke with strong gas smell..... of course when the gas pedal is pressed, the cloud gets thicker..... (ohh.. when u try n rev the car...rpm drops like its gonna shut of before picking up)

I know its not my head gasket, i know my cylinder walls aint warped or cracked because the car has been parked.... it wasn't being driven any at all.......

this white smoke all started since car was serviced!!!
the only other time i have ever seen it do the whole white smoke this is some time ago after re-inserting the intake pipe with filter and forgetting to plug in the afm..... it smoked and ran rich until i plugged it back in n it ran fine (at the time... i was using the ecu i had bought and the car wasnt serviced yet n all em things listed under change were not done n the oil catch tanks were not added)

could both ECUs have gone bad ??
could it be a timing issue......
could the wiring or my afm have been messed up??

im wondering if i should put back old spark plug cables etc.....

and as for the hissing of fuel... that continues ! regardless of either ecu i put in there....

i wonder...... the second ecu i got.. i had started car n driven it in the parking lot once with no issues
First things first these cars are known to have ECU problems. The capacitors inside the ECU start to leak and cause lots of crazy issues. So anytime anyone posts about having lots of running issues the first thing I recommend is having the ECU repaired. You mentioned a fuel hissing noise. Are you hearing the fuel injectors actually leaking fuel into the engine? I would doubt that they are leaking that badly....what you are probably hearing is just normal noise coming from fuel flowing through the fuel rail while the pump is running. A bad AFM could cause the car to almost shut off when you press the gas if it is not reading properly.
Old 01-08-16, 09:13 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
First things first these cars are known to have ECU problems. The capacitors inside the ECU start to leak and cause lots of crazy issues. So anytime anyone posts about having lots of running issues the first thing I recommend is having the ECU repaired. You mentioned a fuel hissing noise. Are you hearing the fuel injectors actually leaking fuel into the engine? I would doubt that they are leaking that badly....what you are probably hearing is just normal noise coming from fuel flowing through the fuel rail while the pump is running. A bad AFM could cause the car to almost shut off when you press the gas if it is not reading properly.

Based on that I will seek another ecu in the mean time N then seek to get the current ones repaired
Old 01-11-16, 08:16 PM
skytechja
Rookie

Default evidence of bad caps

Hey TRACKMKIII

here are the pics of my ECU to confirm what you have said about the ECU

cap it self looks fine but look at the base

the model ecu i use

i noticed these lil diodes or resistors were also burnt along with em two capacitors near em.

again another perfect looking cap but look at the base

this cap u can definitely see that its a gonner.. its brown all over

notice how the base of these two are swollen.... definite gonners

another couple perfect looking caps but they have also leaked out !!!
Old 01-12-16, 12:54 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup those definitely need to be repaired!! I hope once it is repaired it will solve some/all of your issues!!
Old 01-12-16, 07:31 PM
skytechja
Rookie

yes i most certainly hope so .... lol
Old 01-30-16, 08:26 PM
skytechja
Rookie

just an update....

i had one computer repaired...... car ran without smoking but was burning gas like crazy and then began to smoke constantly again........
i noticed oil down on my muffler so i figure i have an oil leak hence why it is smoking.... maybe valve seals or so... but i drove...stopped all oil that i had sean was burn off but car still smokes alot......
as for the gas smell... i realize my timimg is off cause the car misfires when i really rev it.....and my distributor cap shocked me... hence it needs to be changed.... lol

so will be doinng some more checks and changes as the days go along....