DIY ***Official Aristo to TT Camshaft uninstall/install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 08:37 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY ***Official Aristo to TT Camshaft uninstall/install

***DISCLAIMER***
I am in now way, shape, or form, responsible for any damages that occur to your car because of this write up. No matter if your car catches on fire, or if you manage to snap a camshaft. I am not liable for any damages...k? Thanks

Alright guys, I currently have an Aristo 2JZGTE and wanted the TT cams which are known to be slightly bigger. I bought the cams from someone on Supraforums. Here is the DIY I did for everyone. Let me know if you have any questions...

Tools needed:
Torque Wrench
Ratchet
10mm, 12mm, 17mm
Pliers
Valve Cover gaskets (optional I guess)
Cam Seals (optional)
PCV Valve (optional)
Allen Wrenches
Paper clip

Time: This took me 3 hours, but you have to remember, I was taking pictures too. I imagine you could get this done in 2 hours if you had this DIY

Step 1: Remove coil pack cover using the allen wrench

Step 2: Remove the two rubber cross over hoses and coil packs

Make sure to organize yourself when taking everything apart, to make sure you know everything goes back in

Step 3: Set timing to top dead center "TDC" just in case.

Step 4: Mark the timing belt where the notches are, to insure nothing can go wrong. This is precautionary, and in my opinion, necessary.

Step 5: Remove Valve cover
Remove the valve cover using a 10mm socket for all but 2 of the nuts. The two nuts on the back I had to use a 10mm wrench to get to.

Step 6: Locate what the cam says rather it is camshaft 1 or 2. Make sure not to mix the two up. Work on one side at a time.

Step 7: (sorry the pictures suck in this part)

Jack the car up and look right behind the alternator in between the oil pan. You will see the timing belt tensioner. I did my best to take a picture of it, but it was hard to get a picture of. Before loosening the bolts, stick a paper clip, or some type of small round metal into the hole that is already there (close to the block, you will see it, it is black). This will insure the tensioner does not extend considering you want to release tension on the timing belt. Now you can start to unscrew the two 12mm bolts. DO NOT REMOVE THESE BOLTS. You only need to loosen them enough to where you can slide the timing belt off of the cam gears.

Step 8: Remove the timing belt

Slide the timing belt off of the two cam gears. This is pretty simple, do both sides at once.

Step 9: Remove Cam Gears
Remove the cam gears using a 17mm socket. An impact wrench is helpful, or you can take vise grips and hold the camshaft (in the designated area) or use the correct size wrench. I used vise grips haha

Step 10: Remove metal black cover that is behind the cam gears

You must remove the black metal plate that is behind the cam gears. It comes off with 4 10mm bolts. MAKE SURE NOT TO DROP THEM!!! they are small and short, so make sure not to drop them else the crank gear will eat them, and you will be VERY sad....I didn't actually remove mine, I just took all of the bolts out and moved it to the side when necessary.

Step 11: Remove the camshaft
Remove the cam caps. Make sure to go in the specific order. I believe the order is outside to inside. Do this in small increments. When the bolts are completely loose, no need to remove them, keep them in there with the same cap it came off of. Remove the cam caps in the specific order you removed them. The direction, and placement of the cap DOES matter. Please refer to the picture below to see how I placed my cam caps (please note I took this picture after I had already installed two. So, the first two are missing.)
Remove the cam caps and the camshaft will come right out!

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-22-12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 08:37 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Step 12: Install TT cam shaft
First lubricate the cam journals with assembly lube. I used new engine oil to cover the journals and cam lobes, to ensure proper lubrication. Place the caps on the camshaft the same way you took them off. Screw in all of the bolts but do not tighten just yet. In the reverse order you took them out, torque each bolt individually to 14ft/lbs. Start on the outsides and move to the center.

Step 13: Uninstall and install new camshaft on opposite side. Please refer to step 11 for uninstallation of the camshaft

Step 14: Check valve clearances.
Check the valve clearances and if they are in spec proceed to the next step.

Step 15: Install black metal piece that goes behind the cam gears

I put paper towels where the timing belt goes, to insure a bolt did not fall down there. If it does fall down and you cannot get it with a magnet, you MUST remove the crank pulley without moving the crank, else you will damage the gear.

Step 16: Install Cam Gears
Make sure you put your cam seal in, and take the cam gear and line it up with the dowel pin on the camshaft. Install using the 17mm socket. Make sure to get them nice and tight. Don't want one to come loose! Realign the marks on the cam gear with the two marks on the black metal piece

Step 17: Install Timing Belt
Put the timing belt back on. This can be a little tricky, but make sure you do both sides at once. Put it barely on, on one side, then get the other side on, and so forth.

Step 18: Install Valve Covers

Install the valve covers. Make sure not to over tighten the bolts.

Step 19: Install Middle Timing Cover, Two Cross Over Hoses, and Coilpacks
Don't forget to jack the car back up and tighten the timing belt tensioner. Remove the paper clip or metal you used. Timing belt should now be tight again.

Step 20: Install Coilpack cover and start her up! Check your work.

This install wasn't too hard, but I wanted to make this thread for people with a little less experience. You can tell a difference in the cams especially when you get into the higher RPM's just by the butt dyno. Like I said any information you want added, I can add to this first post. or if you have any questions, post them up! Make sure to double check your torqued bolts, and make sure all of the bolts go back into the engine!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-22-12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 09:12 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Nice writeup, thanks!! One question; what about checking clearances between camshafts and shims? Everything fall within spec when you did the install?
Old 03-19-12, 09:14 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

From what I have read, the TT cams don't make enough of a difference to matter. As long as they are in spec to begin with, you shouldn't have to check them.

Old 03-19-12, 09:20 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
From what I have read, the TT cams don't make enough of a difference to matter. As long as they are in spec to begin with, you shouldn't have to check them.
Cool, thanks!
Old 03-19-12, 09:30 PM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i'm guessing installing tt supra cams on the 2jzge would be the same process since they engines are pretty similar right? Do you think this would be a significant upgrade for the 2jzge?
Old 03-20-12, 07:25 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

The GTE and GE came are not interchangeable. You have a distributor :-)

Old 03-20-12, 11:07 AM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
The GTE and GE came are not interchangeable. You have a distributor :-)
Oh **** you're right, oh well lol nice write up
Old 03-20-12, 11:52 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Thanks man

Old 03-22-12, 10:13 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I reposted the information. Hopefully it will help someone out.
Old 03-23-12, 10:50 AM
chek128
Driver

carfreak, how do you have your BOV installed? I have one but been waiting to get pipe made to install mine
Old 03-24-12, 10:52 AM
Johnny D
Pole Position

Any obvious gains from the usdm tt cams compared to the jdm ones?

...and yeah, that's an interesting bov placement
Old 03-25-12, 09:58 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chek128
carfreak, how do you have your BOV installed? I have one but been waiting to get pipe made to install mine
I am actually about to sell what I have. Its a real HKS factory mounting location. I am about to go single and that will render it useless to me. I am pretty sure it is decently rare, and they do not make it anymore. It bolts right into the factory BOV location! It is nice to have, but like I said, I am going single so it will be up for sale here soon!
Originally Posted by Johnny D
Any obvious gains from the usdm tt cams compared to the jdm ones?

...and yeah, that's an interesting bov placement
There is an obvious gain at the top end. The bottom end-not so much. It used to feel like the power really fell off at top RPMs but now, it feels like it keeps pulling.

Again-it is a real HKS BOV adapter. It even has HKS stamped into it
Old 03-26-12, 06:38 AM
Johnny D
Pole Position

Where'd u get it? I have an hks bov I've yet to install and I dig that location :-)

Last edited by Johnny D; 03-26-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 06:42 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnny D
Where'd u get it? I have an his bov I've yet to install and I dig that location :-)
It came with my car actually. I'm fixing to post it up for sale here soon. I want a tial.

Quick Reply: DIY ***Official Aristo to TT Camshaft uninstall/install