GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Custom Subwoofer Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 11:44 AM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Subwoofer Enclosure

Does anyone know if there is a custom subwoofer enclosure for our GS. I have seen them for the 2nd gen GS but not the first. Or will the 2nd gen enclosure work. I have read the thread on removing the factory sub and doing a free air setup, but there are not a lot of options. I really do not want to lose a lot of trunk space and want a custom look.
Old 02-02-12, 05:39 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

No, you have to build it. I did pioneer free air for a number of years with the stock stereo and it sounded great.
Old 02-03-12, 05:21 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

im in the middle of building a box to mount to the bottom of the rear deck and will be running a kicker cvr 12. ill take pics of the box once its done, and then after its bolted into place under the back dash. it fits on top of the gas tank. not alot of room there, but will leave all of my trunk space. and the 12in sub will bolt in from the top.

we got the basic box done a couple weekends ago, but havent had time since to mess with it. im hoping we can finish this weekend. we are trimming some more from the back so the rear wall of carpet that blocks the gas tank will fit better etc... most of that day was spent running the wire for the amp. ran a 4awg from the battery through the fender along the main harness under the fender, then through the firewall in the kick panel(major pita to get to the wire to pull it through btw) then along the driver side under the carpet and through the upper gromet behind the driver seat. the rca wires went on the passenger side. you wont see any wires in the trunk at all, and the only give away under the hood is the batter having an extra 4awg cable connected. it runs between the battery and fuse box to the hole in the fender.
Old 02-03-12, 03:26 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Nice Will, using fiberglass?
Old 02-04-12, 02:14 AM
bratwurst
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, here are some pics that i found travelling the net. it looks like they have made the enclosures using the side carpet hardened with fiberglass and an MDF face plate. i think its a very good idea still leaves you with nice boot space and it looks clean.

cheers
dan
Old 02-06-12, 04:27 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Originally Posted by rapollon
Nice Will, using fiberglass?
no, mdf. i actually finished the box. forgot to take a pic before bolting it in place. i still need to trim the rear carpet wall piece to fit around the enclosure and make an amp rack to fit up next to the gas tank that will be behind the carpet wall as well etc... i snapped a pic of the sub from the top before the rear cover was on and of the box mounted, just havent got them from the camera to the pc. was tired as hell. took forever to get it to fit perfect and seal completely to the bottom of the rear deck.
Old 02-06-12, 09:38 AM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bratwurst
hey guys, here are some pics that i found travelling the net. it looks like they have made the enclosures using the side carpet hardened with fiberglass and an MDF face plate. i think its a very good idea still leaves you with nice boot space and it looks clean.

cheers
dan
Nice......... I wonder if those are shallow mount subwoofers. Love the amount of useable trunk space.
Old 02-06-12, 11:54 AM
bratwurst
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HandsomeB
Nice......... I wonder if those are shallow mount subwoofers. Love the amount of useable trunk space.
by the look of the cone they are shallow mount subs.
Old 02-06-12, 01:44 PM
CallmeQ
Driver

I did a custom box over the gas tank. Fiberglass bottom, MDF sides and top. A Little over 1.5cuft with a Type R mounted from the top. Sounds decent and I kept all the trunk space.
Old 02-06-12, 06:57 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Originally Posted by HandsomeB
my brother actually tried to talk me into doing a similar setup with two 12's. i decided not to. the couple pics i took didnt come out very good. it was dark. ill take more this weekend as i finish it up and post later.