The Official GS300 to Lexus Part Interchange thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 02:10 PM
Beraad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Good information there on the trans.

As far as the rest of the questions that seem to keep popping up..

- JZS161 (second gen) interiors will not swap, the front seats may be close but that is the only interior part, aside from maybe a steering wheel or light bulbs.
- JZS147 (first gen) rear suspension is very nearly identical to the jzz30 sc300 and jza80 supra. This means that the automatic differential, axles, upper control arms will be swappable. 6 speed JZA80 differential is possible with 6 speed axles to match.
- JZA80 supra rear sway bar along with the mounts and end links will work for a JZS147 or JZZ30
- JZZ30 or JZA80 rear shocks will fit the rear of a JZS147. It will lower your car though.
- JZS147 front shocks and suspension is the same as the JZS161. No your JZA80 or JZZ30 front shocks wont work.
- JZA80 and JZZ30 brake calipers and rotors will fit a JZS147, I assume the fronts will also fit the jzs161, but i am unsure on the rears.

There are multiple transmission snouts, whether it be auto or manual, along with different transmission flanges or yolks, and rear differential flanges change too. Most all of this is interchangeable, but adapters are there too (like for a rear differential).
You said certain suspension parts are interchangeable between the 1st Gen, 2nd Gen and SC300, but what about the suspension on SC400? Specifically control arms and struts front and rear? I have access to a 1992 SC400 with nearly new suspension parts that's being parted out and the guy owes me, so I can get what I want for nothing except my labor. I'm not wanting to spend any time pulling parts that won't fit. But if they will fit they're basically free to me. Thanks
Old 12-17-18, 04:47 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

sc400 is the same as sc300, so the rear suspension is pretty identical aside from strut size, sway bar size and mounting, and differential gearing. I would say rear upper control arms.. but everything else probably isnt worth it.
Old 12-17-18, 07:47 PM
Beraad
Driver School Candidate

sc400 is the same as sc300, so the rear suspension is pretty identical aside from strut size, sway bar size and mounting, and differential gearing. I would say rear upper control arms.. but everything else probably isnt worth it.
Thanks. I have one more question: is there any upgrade from the First Gen GS300 if I pull brake calipers and rotors? I thought I read somewhere that the calipers were bigger or more pistons and would fit the GS300 caliper brackets but the rotors wouldn't fit or something. I don't know the offset of my rims but they ARE NOT stock, though they are 16". I didn't know if the SC400 used bigger brakes or if they were same as GS300.
Old 12-18-18, 09:58 AM
joewitafro
Racer

sc400/sc300 and gs300/gs400 uses the same calipers and rotors.

Ls400 fronts are an upgrade but they require a spacer and some grinding that I don't recommend. JZA80 twin turbo supra on the other hand has direct bolt on upgrades for front and rear. Fronts alone are about 250-300 each new.
Old 12-18-18, 10:25 AM
Beraad
Driver School Candidate

sc400/sc300 and gs300/gs400 uses the same calipers and rotors.

Ls400 fronts are an upgrade but they require a spacer and some grinding that I don't recommend. JZA80 twin turbo supra on the other hand has direct bolt on upgrades for front and rear. Fronts alone are about 250-300 each new.
Thank you. Finally got some good ol plain English answers. After replacing my original transmission, a couple of days hitting junkyards, and reading endless forums, I'm pretty much FORUM-FRIED!! Your info is much appreciated
Old 12-19-18, 06:27 PM
Beraad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vegaswins
Hi,i recently swapped a gs300 tranny in my Lexus sc400,was told everything was plug and play,well after i got the tranny bolted in i found out,that was not true.Now im slapping my self in the face for not making sure it was 100% true.
So now im asking yall how i can fix this do not want to get a new tranny,now il explain my problems so after i figured out that the solenoid plug and whatever the thing is connected to the shifter shaft and the i believe to be speed sensor were all different plugs
so for the shifter shaft i swapped over the old one with no problems-solved
i swapped over the solenoid plug but the new tranny has 5,and the old one only had 4,so now no od
and the speedometer sensor has no plug at all on the new tranny,
so now my question is what can i do?
here is the closest pic i could find on the internet the small box looking solenoid is the one im missing the plug for
any help is very appreciated-sry for not being the best at explaining it all
btw the tranny does same the same model number as the old one
I was in your exact spot a couple weeks ago. Fortunately I discovered the differences when my old GS tranny (a340e) was sitting next to the ls400 tranny (a341e). My tail shafts and main body appeared to be the same, and I knew idInI'd to switch out the V8 bellhousing for the 2JZGE bellhousing. But that's where things went South. The deeper bellhousing means bigger torque converter which means longer input shaft. Initially I was going to swap out the O/D gearing, planetary gear, etc. But then realized that I was potentially going to swap a lot of parts from my old non-working tranny to my new one. Not exactly sure what was wrong with the old one I could be replacing good parts with potential bad parts. So I got about half dozen phone numbers for JDM transmission distributors and was able to get a direct replacement tranny for my particular year shipped literally right to my doorstep in a week, less actually, with less than 50k miles and a 6 month warranty, for under $400. I installed it and only found one difference. The tranny they sent didn't have the hole in the tailshaft cover for the speed sensor. I installed it anyway and knew I could work around that. Oddly enough, my speedometer gauge works fine but my "O/D OFF" light flashes. Probably just gunna pull that bulb.
Old 07-13-19, 09:02 AM
Beraad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
Fair enough... All I know is I don't have an OEM GS300 Radiator in mine and I don't know the history of the car so my input could be wrong. I just ordered the LS cap and it fit.
Measurements are very close and all the right connections are in the right spots. My 1st Gen GS300 radiator gave out and they are virtually nonexistent in the salvage yards here in Idaho. But LS400s are abundant. An added bonus is that the LS came with a larger radiator capacity than the GS to keep their V8 engines cooler. Slightly thicker due to more cores I believe. But nearly identical in sizw
Old 02-26-20, 02:47 AM
JayyRod
Driver School Candidate

Default I have an electrical issue with my Gs 300

I have two broken sensors for my distribution and I believe it’s my carburetor (not 100% sure) I don’t know too much about Lexuses but I’m always willing to learn. They where broken by my little brother while I was gone for basic training. My grandfather tried fixing it but it didn’t work. But my Gs was my first car an I’m not giving up on it. So what could I do to replace those sensors, if I have to replace parts from other Lexus’s I can
Old 02-26-20, 06:39 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Any pictures of what sensors you're taking about? 2jzge will have a throttle body as its' fuel injected and the 2jzge has a distributor. If I know what sensors you're thinking of I can help you figure out the part numbers or what to do to fix.
Old 04-21-20, 08:59 AM
JayyRod
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry it took so long to reply back

Any pictures of what sensors you're taking about? 2jzge will have a throttle body as its' fuel injected and the 2jzge has a distributor. If I know what sensors you're thinking of I can help you figure out the part numbers or what to do to fix.

Old 04-21-20, 05:25 PM
JayyRod
Driver School Candidate

Default Thinking of a engine swap

I’m thinking of taking the engine out the engine an installing a different one with a different engine wiring harness
Old 04-22-20, 09:36 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Looks like just your plugs are broken and not the sensors themselves? If your distributor sensor is all funked up, I would just replace the whole unit as used ones are quite cheap on ebay. I've done this with good success and its' super easy, just need to adjust timing after back to stock.

If its just the plugs.. Here are the pigtails so you can rewire them. I reccomend soldering the connections with the correct rosin core leaded solder and heat shrink.

Intake air control valve:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/4211

distributor plug:
https://www.wiringspecialties.com/2j...tor-connector/
Old 04-24-20, 12:09 AM
JayyRod
Driver School Candidate

Looks like just your plugs are broken and not the sensors themselves? If your distributor sensor is all funked up, I would just replace the whole unit as used ones are quite cheap on ebay. I've done this with good success and its' super easy, just need to adjust timing after back to stock.

If its just the plugs.. Here are the pigtails so you can rewire them. I reccomend soldering the connections with the correct rosin core leaded solder and heat shrink.

Intake air control valve:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/4211

distributor plug:
https://www.wiringspecialties.com/2j...tor-connector/
Thank you 🙏🏽
Old 05-11-20, 04:15 PM
JayyRod
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

I got the parts like a week ago, now it’s just trying to figure out where the wires go
Old 06-01-20, 10:51 AM
Shades7
Driver School Candidate

I see that a 2nd gen suspension will fit the 1st but what about steering components? Tie rods and control arms too?

Quick Reply: The Official GS300 to Lexus Part Interchange thread