GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Tein CS or Flex Coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 03:25 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tein CS or Flex Coilover?

I'm planning to upgrade my coilover from the Ohlins that is on my GS right now. I'm debating between the CS and the Flex. Both are very similar in price but I really don't know what is the main difference between the two. I've seen lots of 1st Gen GS owners have CS and leaning toward that coilover. I'm not into slamming the GS down extremely low. All I want is a quality coilover that give my GS a nice stance with comfortable ride. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two coilover? If anyone have any other suggestion like other coilovers, your input is appreciate. I've heard good thing about the JIC coilovers but they are on the pricey side and the ride is not that smooth. I don't want unknown brand like KS Sport or something like that either because I've read other posts about coilover and people say those break down after a year or so. I want Tein or something similar in quality like HKS. I wish they make HKS Hypermax III coilover for our GS because I have them on my Supra TT and I love it. I like how you can adjust the height without effecting the spring rate and ride. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by suprawhite; 10-19-08 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 04:31 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What don't you like about the Ohlin"s?
Old 10-19-08, 06:27 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

I do like the Ohlins, but I want something new. My co-worker is getting that set up that's why I'm pushing myself for something different. As I mention ealier, I want smooth ride that's why I'm leaning toward the Tein CS. As the Ohlins it is not as smooth as I prefer. The Ohlins is still on my GS at the moment until I find something new. My co-worker kept pushing me when I'm going to get the new coilover since I sold my 18" L-Tuned Salinas wheels to him. He's riding stock suspension and he want my Ohlins bad because you know how high water the freakin stock 1st Gen GS is.
Old 10-19-08, 10:19 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

The Flex's have stiffer spring rates along with stiffer valving, may have billet pillowball hats....not too sure. These are also adjustable like your HKS's, the height is adjustable with still giving the full travel of the shock and not changing the spring rate by preloading them too much. All this is done by the shock body being threaded.
The CS's will be offer a more comfy ride. Lesser spring rates, but with this these you can't go as low as the Flex's.
Hope this helps.

Dan@FSMoto
Old 10-20-08, 02:54 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ what he said. From what you're saying, I think CS's will be fine for you if that's what you're leaning towards. I kind of wished I went with something else because I would like to go lower but Im max'd out in the front, rear has about 1-1.5" left

These are the CS-t (cs version 2) They aren't green like the original ones. There are a few differences between the first and second ones.

Old 10-20-08, 03:15 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
^^ what he said. From what you're saying, I think CS's will be fine for you if that's what you're leaning towards. I kind of wished I went with something else because I would like to go lower but Im max'd out in the front, rear has about 1-1.5" left

These are the CS-t (cs version 2) They aren't green like the original ones. There are a few differences between the first and second ones.

Yeah, I rememberred we're talking about the Supra TT brake and you mentioned that your Tein CS is not as low as you wanted to be. I think Wald GS aka Ryan have the CS version 2 also. What is the main difference? I'm pretty sure I'll go for the second version. Would you guy recommend the Tein Flex since you can adjust the height without changing the spring rate? That's my problem, I can't make decision between the two. I like the CS for the ride, but the Flex for the height adjustment. Anyhow, I probably go for the CS since I prefer the smoother ride. By the way, from the picture, is that the lowest setting? If it is, I'm okay with it as long as it ride smoothly.

Last edited by suprawhite; 10-21-08 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 05:54 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the flex on my 1GS and it rides like a brick shi* house. But I wouldnt have it any other way. Im putting the CS on my wifes 430 cause we are looking for a little smoother sporty refined ride thats not too harsh.
Old 10-20-08, 06:21 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I have the flex on my 1GS and it rides like a brick shi* house. But I wouldnt have it any other way. Im putting the CS on my wifes 430 cause we are looking for a little smoother sporty refined ride thats not too harsh.
Thank you for the input because that make a big difference. I guess CS it is then. Now, let's find some hook up. Where did you guy bought your coilover and what is the average price on these sucker?
Old 10-20-08, 06:33 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suprawhite
Thank you for the input because that make a big difference. I guess CS it is then. Now, let's find some hook up. Where did you guy bought your coilover and what is the average price on these sucker?
I got my flex on the forum here a few years ago. Im looking for the CS's for the 2GS right now I already have a spare EDFC for them

EDIT: theres a set of CS for the 1GS on fleebay right now. They are in japan but even with two day shipping it saves you a few hundy off retail !

Last edited by twojayzee; 10-20-08 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-20-08, 07:09 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Yeah, I notice that. This is like the second time they're trying to sell them. I'm looking for a new set unless it is a killer deal on a used set. They try to sell them about $800 plus $200 shipping which come out $1000 for a used set that I'm not too sure of the condition. I rather pay a little more and get myself a new set plus a piece of mind. Thank you for your advice and help.
Old 10-21-08, 04:44 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from lextasy.com. When I ordered though apparently these were just starting to replace the v.1. It showed the v.1 on the site for 13xx, which is what I paid, and when I talked to one of the reps, he told me I'd be receiving the v.2's. I go back to the site a couple weeks later which has been updated to the v.2's for 17xx. So I guess I got lucky and bought them during some transition period or something and got a couple hundred off.

btw, front is all the way down (19"s with about a finger and a half gap), rear has 5 threads or about 1.25"s left and its like a PINKY finger gap
Old 10-21-08, 10:55 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Wow, 13xx for a brand new Tein CS V.2 is a steal. Ebay try to sell a used set with shipping came out about $1K. I have to start searching for a good deal now.
Old 12-17-08, 07:49 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mkiiisupra: IMO that is the perfect stance !!! I guess I am also looking for the comfort suprawhite is looking for, as well as the stance !! Very nice !! Looks like I better start saving for some CS's.
Old 12-17-08, 10:16 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I got my cs's because they are comfortable even on the stiffest setting.
Old 12-17-08, 11:27 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wald GS
I got my cs's because they are comfortable even on the stiffest setting.
That's good to hear. The only problem is that there is a price increase on Tein coilovers

Quick Reply: Tein CS or Flex Coilover?