GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Code 71, Egr Problems? Read This!

Old 09-16-09, 08:43 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
I'm resurrecting this thread and looking for some answers to questions about EGR systems in general.

I have also just gotten the CEL for the evil Code 71. This troubleshooting guide is fabulous if you can take the time to fix it, but as to consequences of NOT fixing it are what I'd like to ask some of our knowledgable members here.

What happens if you don't fix the EGR when the valve is stuck open/closed? What are the consequences? Bad gas mileage? Something worse?

What does 94GS300 mean when he says there is a better chance of 'pinging' under load?

What are the pros and cons of EGR block off plates? What other methods are there in dealing with the CEL itself or the problem of it reading off EGR values?

I have a boost gauge set up and its been reading odd vacuum values in the manifold for not too long before the CEL came on. Is this an indication of an EGR issue? If so could you explain why?

Answers to one or all would be greatly appreciated
One of the main problems will bad gas mileage and rough idle because the engine cant really breathe and the CPU cant accurately read what the kind of mixture it needs to run properly, BUT... Your Na-t and I would just block off the egr and it shouldnt be a problem. I know the NA-t supra guys do this mod all the time with a block off plate a resistor to avoid the CPU throwing a code. I would search supraforums.com and look up "egr block off plate" You will find all the info you need.
Old 09-16-09, 09:51 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the block-off plates available if anyone needs them, GE specific.
Old 09-16-09, 10:44 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Not sure what the repercussions are but for NA-t probably be best to delete the EGR since you don't want exhaust gas to recirculate but that will depend on your state's emission laws. You could also take out the modulator to clean up...I've got fed up with it and put a resistor in the temp sensor so the check engine wouldn't go on. i didn't remove anything, just added the resistor. Been fine...same gas mileage as before which is 20-25mpg. good luck
Old 09-17-09, 03:33 AM
dadewi
Driver

Originally Posted by bangdangvn
Not sure what the repercussions are but for NA-t probably be best to delete the EGR since you don't want exhaust gas to recirculate but that will depend on your state's emission laws. You could also take out the modulator to clean up...I've got fed up with it and put a resistor in the temp sensor so the check engine wouldn't go on. i didn't remove anything, just added the resistor. Been fine...same gas mileage as before which is 20-25mpg. good luck
How did you do that? Can I do that to my 1996 GS300? What is the process and for how much?
Old 09-17-09, 03:58 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

I think it was 1 dollar total.....I forget the specifics for the ohms but if you search egr delete on here you can find it. I'll see if I can find the exact for you. Not sure if obd1 and obd2 is any different regarding the resistor though.... here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...f-off-diy.html same procedure....buy it at radioshack. I didn't know what I was doing at first...but if you find where your egr is and follow a connector by the temp sensor you will eventually see a plug...put the resistor in, secure it and you are good to go.

Last edited by bangdangvn; 09-17-09 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 07:15 AM
Dan@FSM
Driver

10K ohm 1/4 watt resistor. I supply it with the plates I have
Old 09-17-09, 07:36 AM
dadewi
Driver

Originally Posted by Dan@FSM
10K ohm 1/4 watt resistor. I supply it with the plates I have
All this is for a SC but I have a GS. I also don't have any "work" done to my engine. My car is stock. So, can I still do this? Is there a write up for the GS300?
Old 09-18-09, 09:28 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Same motor as SC, everything is in the same location. There is no down side to doing this on a stock engine at all.
Old 12-18-09, 03:04 PM
blakGS147
Driver School Candidate

Default my 94 gs (184k miles) needs work-

hi everyone -not sure if anyone can help with this----i recently moved and i am in need of a honest, reliable-mechanic to maintain my 1994 gs im in the canoga park area (san fernando valley) either mobile or a shop, im really busy and moved to an apartment building were "tinkering" is not alowed-- so please if anyone can help a fellow gs lover out it would be appreciated!--thank you if this post is in the wrong place please direct me in the right direction thank you.
Old 03-28-10, 08:18 AM
lsdiehard
Driver School Candidate

Question EGR pipe capped

91 LS400. 200k. car is a Jewel, owned it for 10 years now and plan on keeping it for another 10. Had a cracked EGR pipe and decided to have it capped off. Car runs like new with exception of CEL & code 71, traction off light on. Reset the system, at higher speeds the CEL & Traction off comes back on. Have a hunch it's the capped pipe that's at the root of the problem as prior to capping there was no CEL code 71, coincidence or perhaps not.... Would EGR block off plates make this go away?

Without the assistance of this forum there is no way I'd be able to keep this machine running like a top. A big Thank's to all of you trouble shooters out there, taking the time to respond to what must seem trivial stuff at times I am sure.
Old 03-28-10, 08:00 PM
rudedog35
Pole Position

Default EGR Modulator

just fixed my check engine light that has been on for a month, all thanks to this tread.... for my prob, i replaced my egr modulator and replaces all the hoses to the egr modulator and egr valve, light has been off for 3 days now...
thanks to 94GS300, for doing this write up, saved me some money by doing it myself...
Old 05-10-12, 04:26 PM
Mikey51
Driver School Candidate

Default fu&*$n code 71

hey guys i just read this and it gives a lot of awesome info...ive got a 94 sc400 that has the same code. car runs good but without the light off it wont pass emissions test. does the same thing apply to my car as the procedures here? the fuel cap does hiss like a snake when it is removed. i love this car but im getting to the point to decide whether i want a monster truck to drive over it or not.
Old 05-11-12, 12:35 PM
poplatino4
Driver

Old post I know, but if people follow this exactly as it says people will get stuck on step 5 since it says to go to step 5 if vsv not faulty, just pointing it out
Old 11-30-12, 09:03 AM
BigGreg94
Driver School Candidate

i have 1994 gs300 /jzs147 and my check engine light is on and i nned to kno how to fix it??? any advice
Old 11-30-12, 09:45 AM
phollero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigGreg94
i have 1994 gs300 /jzs147 and my check engine light is on and i nned to kno how to fix it??? any advice
I ended up changing the VSV and the EGR valve to fix this. I would start with cleaning the VSV before replacing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code 71, Egr Problems? Read This!