GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My 1st Gen going under the "knife" soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 04:51 AM
sillbeer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a mechanic than can do the whole swap and single turbo conversion, complete with all parts and labor for about $6500-7000..He does the single turbo , so that he doesn't have to hammer in the heater core housing..this set-up will give you between 400-450 hp to the wheels..The swap consist of a 2jz-gte motor , tranny , ECU, harness, and the single turbo parts..
johnee78, Can you give specifics on the setup? I'm more than sure the stock 2jzgte fuel system will support 500ps so thats not an issue. What kind of tranny does he install with this? I've heard the stock one doesn't like very much hp. What kind of computer? Stock rom tune? Also do you know the specs on the turbine? I'm just curious. I think if I go for the swap i'll leave the ge motor in and use a thicker hg to decrease the compression and get a bolt on turbine kit with an aem ecu for the ge motor. I think it would be much less of a hassle. I'd only be looking at 500ps max.

Jeff, I must have scrolled by this thread 3 different times looking for it last night. How far along have you gotten? You'll have to post pics when you get back to the real world.

-Destin
Old 08-23-04, 11:18 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitely be posting pics. The only major switching I've found so far in using the GTE block is the water pump and crossover pipe from the GE needs to be used. The up pipe from the water pump to the head wants to run right thru an exhaust runner on the GE head, b/c the turbo and NA upper rad hoses are on opposite sides of the head.

Also, I dont know if I mentioned this before, but both of my motor mounts were in 2 pcs. That would be the reason I popped the upper rad hose when it hit the curb.. the engine probably jumped about 6" in the engine bay since it was only resting on the mounts to begin with. I cant wait to actually run the car in good condition (i.e. all 6 cylinders pushing, motor mounted securely, and good "non-blown" suspension)
Old 09-01-04, 08:43 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Default Almost done!!

I'm taking plenty of pics guys but my webmaster doesnt have them hosted yet.. hang in there.

I have discovered that my GTE swap actually came from an Aristo, not a Supra as I had thought. I found this out b/c my oil pan and the GTE oil pan look identical, sump is in the same location. One thing I thought was pretty cool is that the GE upper oil pan is cast with the port for the turbo oil return, it is just not drilled and tapped like the GTE one is. I went ahead and used the GTE unit and made a blockoff plate for the time being for the oil return hole. That way when I design the turbo kit, I can just pull off the plate and the return will be done.

Another benefit that I wasnt aware of is that the GTE has a sandwich type oil cooler that circles the bottom of the oil filter housing.. the GE does not. While you do have to use the GE water pump for the head clearance, you can slightly modify the pipe running along the block and utilize the GTE oil cooler as well.

All that is left as far as the motor is concerned now is some port matching to smooth off the rough edges on the head ports. I may also pull the butterflys out of the intake manifold. On all the 2JZGE's I have dyno'd or seen a sheet on it always causes a wierd power dip at about 4500 rpm. When the car is turbo'd I won't have a need for the secondaries and they would just be a restriction to the flow of the boosted air.

Thats all I know for now, I'm trying to get the motor back into the car tonight possibly, if my energy holds out.

More to come!
Old 09-02-04, 10:30 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

let us know when they are up.
Old 09-04-04, 08:32 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Well, the engine is back in the car. Sounds deeper than before. Then again I was only running on about 4 cylinders before.. now it is the full 6!

I dropped off the camera to have the pics uploaded earlier tonite, so hopefully I can post them in a day or so.

I found a few things out.. one of which I may need to pull the motor again for. Concerning my earlier post about the GTE oil cooler around the base of the oil filter. The GTE water pipe from the pump to the heater is different from the GE. I modified the GTE pipe to work with the GE water pump. I think it is causing me to have cooling issues b/c the water path in the 2 motors doesnt flow the same way. I found the diagram of coolant flow paths after I had already installed the motor. I was having trouble get the coolant to bleed all the air out.. it would push so much air.

I was planning on trying to use the Aristo JDM TT transmission, but never got any info on the one plug that was different.. it is an 8 pin on the TT tranny and a 6 pin on the GS tranny. I'm guessing that is because I have a 93 with the 4speed auto, not a newer GS. Doesnt the 96-97 have a 5 speed auto?

So, then I was planning to use just the TT torque convertor in my tranny. Nope not happening. Closer inspection on the Aristo tranny shows a slightly longer bell housing, stamped J3. Mine on the GS is a J2. It is about 5/16" longer on the Aristo TT to accomodate the larger torque converter. I was going to try swapping the bell housings (J3 onto my GS tranny) to use the larger converter but it was late then and I didnt want any unexpected problems with driveshaft length from changing it. So I just installed the GS tranny, but I did pull the pan and clean out the filter really well. Shifts MUCH better now than before.. no hunting or skipping off the rev limiter. Used Toyota ATF T4 fluid.

The engine looks great with the HKS cam gears peeking out of the hole I cut in the timing belt cover, cant wait to get this cooling issue fixed so I can dyno it again. It actually feels a little sluggish off the line since it is a drop in compression vs. the GE bottom end, but there is great passing power. I'm thinking that on the dyno with the GTE bottom end running NA it will make maybe 180rwhp. keep in mind I was making 175rwhp on a sick basically 4 cylinder GE. The real strength of the GTE bottom end will be when I build the twin turbo kit.

Thats all I have for now.. I'll throw the pics up here as soon as they are ready...

Old 09-05-04, 12:04 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

cool ,can't wait.
Old 09-05-04, 07:39 PM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i can wait but not for long
Old 09-05-04, 08:03 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLEEPER
Old 09-05-04, 10:23 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by loonyrobert3
i think i can wait but not for long
you dont have to wait any longer.. pics are up. I started a new thread for them.

Enjoy!