EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Toyota rebooting its EV plan with Tesla in mind

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 08:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 210 Likes on 180 Posts

Also, California has 40 million people with 27 million of that on the coast. There's another factor. 40 million citizens. Lots of rich people who love Teslas out there. When we went on our househunting trip in 2014 in West Hollywood I was stunned at the Teslas, how many. That was a long, long time ago. Now I'm sure it's absolutely ridiculous with the Teslas.
Old 10-31-22, 08:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I can play the number game also. Florida has 7,670.861 registered vehicles in 2021. 96k is a drop in the bucket. Sorry if I don't see many EV's on the road.

Most EV's sold now are "toys", a second or third vehicle in the family. So most of the them are in the garage waiting for a weekend spin while the old reliable ICE is used every day. I also consider EV's in the "model T" era. Battery tech has a long way to go in development. I would never buy one today.
2021 was +64% vs. 2020. If that trend continues this year (likely) you'll be noticing more EV's on the road in Florida.

Last edited by LexBob2; 10-31-22 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Sorry but they are not "everywhere" Maybe in Present, Fl where ever that is. There were 4 teslas that were traded in for a Cadillac. I know it's hard for the EV bias here to accept the truth.
sorry my post triggered you. i'm no ev fanboy, they have pros and cons, but regardless i do see teslas on the road here every day. and i am not doubting what you saw there (used teslas at a cadillac dealership).

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I spend a lot of time in FL, and I see Teslas everywhere. I know its hard for your anti-EV bias to accept the truth.

Within 10 years many carmakers will only be selling EVs
not sure about 'many' but some certainly. it all depends on battery and recharging tech and stations.

Originally Posted by swajames
California already has a close to 20% EV share of the current market
i think you're saying 20% of new vehicle sales are EVs in california. certainly not 20% of what's on the road! and since california has the highest poverty rate in the nation, i see ice cars being around for decades there unless a massive incentive is given to crash ice cars and get ev's.

People like EVs, and the market is heading towards almost complete adoption here regardless of political interference.
some people. and i think that ev utopia is a long way off without massive political interference.

Most EV's sold now are "toys", a second or third vehicle in the family.
what do you base this on?
Old 10-31-22, 09:16 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see a cult here in Florida. When I last visited my Cadillac dealer as I drove in the entrance I saw 4 used Teslas sitting on the lot. I asked my salesman what is going on, he said poeple hate them and are tired of charging them. Florida has a bad charging network.
not sure where in florida you are but in SE florida Teslas are EVERYWHERE. I will often be on i95 surrounded by 2-3 teslas at any given moment. I am sure its not statistically true but I feel like I see more model Y/3/S than corollas in SE florida. I rarely see a Model X though. Shockingly I see Model S plaids almost daily as well.

I am no Tesla fan either...tbh it hurts my spouse and I eyes seeing a Model Y...we think they are so damn ugly. I tease my spouse every now and then that I am going to upgrade her Mercedes to a Model Y and she always looks at me in disgust.
Old 10-31-22, 11:20 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The endless denial in this thread is kind of missing the entire point of the article, that even Toyota is now recognizing their mistakes and doubling down on EV's. And according to some of you, don't they know best?

The benefit of a mainstream EV is not performance, its not having to buy fuel, and reduced maintenance and running costs.
It also incentivizes automakers to cut off dealerships and engage in direct sales (in every part of the world that doesn't have strict state franchising laws like the U.S. to protect dealerships) and reap bigger profits. No need for extensive maintenance = no need for dealerships.
Old 10-31-22, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The source from Toyota still has not come forward. Much ado about nothing.
Old 10-31-22, 11:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Political change won’t change the fact that these manufacturers have already made these investments and made these shifts, and shifting back isn’t easy or straightforward at all. In any event, the US isn’t the only market, and realities in other markets have caused them to make these development changes also.

Carmakers aren’t going to all of a sudden say “hey let’s not do this” and go back to developing new ICE platforms add scrap everything they have done.
Let's see how well EVs really sell without any form of subsidies and that could very well happen within the next 2 months to 2 yrs.
Old 10-31-22, 11:35 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The source from Toyota still has not come forward. Much ado about nothing.
Looking forward to your next excuse come the big reveal in December lol
Old 10-31-22, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Let's see how well EVs really sell without any form of subsidies and that could very well happen within the next 2 months to 2 yrs.
Could change any day. Toyota has the idea that they will make products for each individual market. They are right. (they have EVs too)
Old 10-31-22, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

I can play the number game also. Florida has 7,670.861 registered vehicles in 2021. 96k is a drop in the bucket. Sorry if I don't see many EV's on the road.

Most EV's sold now are "toys", a second or third vehicle in the family. So most of the them are in the garage waiting for a weekend spin while the old reliable ICE is used every day. I also consider EV's in the "model T" era. Battery tech has a long way to go in development. I would never buy one today.
Everybody I know with an EV its their daily driver. Makes no sense for it to be "their toy", where they shine is as a daily driver.

Originally Posted by situman
Thats been happening with Tesla for a long time, subsidies are long gone and they sell more than ever.
Old 10-31-22, 01:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 210 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The endless denial in this thread is kind of missing the entire point of the article,

It also incentivizes automakers to cut off dealerships and engage in direct sales (in every part of the world that doesn't have strict state franchising laws like the U.S. to protect dealerships) and reap bigger profits. No need for extensive maintenance = no need for dealerships.
Tesla is at the bottom of the barrel for reliability, second worst of them all. That isn’t denial, that’s the truth. They need dealers for the things that go wrong with the cars. The denial is the people who think just because the car is battery powered and that nothing will ever go wrong. Again check that reliability list.
Old 10-31-22, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Tesla's reliability issues have nothing to do with the EV tech. Its a fact that an EV requires far less maintenance. When Toyota and Lexus are making EVs, they will basically last forever.
Old 10-31-22, 02:50 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
Tesla is at the bottom of the barrel for reliability, second worst of them all. That isn’t denial, that’s the truth. They need dealers for the things that go wrong with the cars. The denial is the people who think just because the car is battery powered and that nothing will ever go wrong. Again check that reliability list.
Maintenance is not reliability. If you try to go the same intervals as a Tesla or any EV without maintenance in an ICE car, I guarantee you it will be on the side of the road much sooner than the EV.

This is the ultimate fear dealerships have of EV's. Dealerships need a constant, guaranteed source of revenue to survive- that is why they live on maintenance. Also bear in mind that breakdowns that occur are typically covered by warranty, so the dealers don't make money off of that. Hence why many of them will go out of their way to reject warranty repairs whenever they can.
Old 10-31-22, 03:20 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 380 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't care how many people buy EVs and buy Teslas, as long as they use their own money to do it - and the government doesn't force me to buy one by eliminating the ICE supply through laws.
Old 10-31-22, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. When Toyota and Lexus are making EVs, they will basically last forever.
Where do you get this from?

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I don't care how many people buy EVs and buy Teslas, as long as they use their own money to do it - and the government doesn't force me to buy one by eliminating the ICE supply through laws.
Personally. I don’t have a problem if something is legislated into law. But on the same token, using legislation to repel or modify a proposed or existing law is also a great thing. The world is now shifting ever so right on the political spectrum… as we can see there is an energy crisis, the price of gas and electricity, as well as natural gas are very high. To purchase an electric car, one has to pay more $$$ compared to a gas car. We now see how important gas is, and the transition to electric cars sustainable net zero is very hard and very costly. EVs will slow down at some point

It would be good to know what the US sales are for EVs and how they are growing over time. Would be really to have a permanent thread on the matter

still waiting for the Toyota sources to come forward as well. Toyota could have completely abandoned EVs on the lower price points for all we know. They are #1 in sales.

How many hybrids can Toyota make in place of how many EVs? Using their battery resources

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-31-22 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota rebooting its EV plan with Tesla in mind