EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Toyota rebooting its EV plan with Tesla in mind

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 07:17 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
So...Tesla buyers are like a cult? Is that the only reason people buy Teslas? To be in the cult?
I don't see a cult here in Florida. When I last visited my Cadillac dealer as I drove in the entrance I saw 4 used Teslas sitting on the lot. I asked my salesman what is going on, he said poeple hate them and are tired of charging them. Florida has a bad charging network.
Old 10-30-22, 08:04 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 383 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that makes no sense imo... so if they have a new brand for ev's, the existing brands would get no ev's and be left to die in time?
The end of the ICE car isn't imminent by any stretch, even with governments banning them - those bans will have to be rescinded. ICE cars (including hybrids) are going to be 60-70% of the market for a long time to come.
Old 10-30-22, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I don't see a cult here in Florida. When I last visited my Cadillac dealer as I drove in the entrance I saw 4 used Teslas sitting on the lot. I asked my salesman what is going on, he said poeple hate them and are tired of charging them. Florida has a bad charging network.
that's funny. i'm also in fl (central) and there's teslas everywhere and i've not seen any on dealer lots.
Old 10-30-22, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Literally nobody I know with a Tesla doesn't love it. That sounds like a car salesman who is just spouting BS.
Old 10-30-22, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That sounds like a car salesman who is just spouting BS.
just another day ending in 'Y'.
Old 10-30-22, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

just another day ending in 'Y'.
Pretty much!
Old 10-30-22, 12:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 683 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Literally nobody I know with a Tesla doesn't love it. That sounds like a car salesman who is just spouting BS.
I did have a friend get a Performance Y and swap it out for an X5 M50i a few months after getting it. He had the musky AC smell within the first couple of months and the whole service center back and forth put a bad taste in his mouth so he got rid of it despite liking the drive. He's eager to see how my R1S is when it finally arrives late next year.
Old 10-30-22, 01:15 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

that's funny. i'm also in fl (central) and there's teslas everywhere and i've not seen any on dealer lots.
Sorry but they are not "everywhere" Maybe in Present, Fl where ever that is. There were 4 teslas that were traded in for a Cadillac. I know it's hard for the EV bias here to accept the truth.
Old 10-30-22, 01:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry but they are not "everywhere" Maybe in Present, Fl where ever that is. There were 4 teslas that were traded in for a Cadillac. I know it's hard for the EV bias here to accept the truth.
The top 3 states with the most registered EV's as of 12/31/21 were CA, FL (nearly 96k) and TX. With Tesla's share of the EV market, it would seem there are a lot of them on the road in FL.
Old 10-30-22, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I spend a lot of time in FL, and I see Teslas everywhere. I know its hard for your anti-EV bias to accept the truth.

EVs are coming, like it or not. Its reached critical velocity at this point and it cannot be stopped. Within 10 years many carmakers will only be selling EVs, they aren't investing anything in developing new ICE platforms, and thats not something that can be changed easily or quickly.

Just because a car dealer has Teslas on their lot does not mean that they are traded in on a Cadillac, car dealers also buy cars at auction to sell on their lots. Cadillac has also started delivering their Lyriq electric car, and those Teslas could have been traded in on that. If you talk to people who have gone to EVs, very few have any desire to go back to ICE.
Old 10-30-22, 03:39 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 383 Likes on 261 Posts

It's only reached "critical velocity" because its measurement takes into account the law of small numbers. Very easy to "double sales" off a small number baseline. Getting from 5 to 10% is easy, from 20% to 40% will take 20 years at least given the average lifespan of a newly purchased car. Tesla will be fine, their buyers are loyal and willing to pay any price to get the cars. The other automakers are in for a rude awakening after the initial hoopla of "look at all our pre-orders" for the first two model years.
Old 10-30-22, 03:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I have several friends with Teslas who do love them, but I have a good group of friends with them who also do not. One of my friends has a Model S and just cancelled the X they had on order as "we don't want another one of these." Another good friend has a 3 and cancelled their Y. "The 3 is the most expensive cheap car I've ever owned." So, it does happen, but I do say more people like them than do not.
Old 10-30-22, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
It's only reached "critical velocity" because its measurement takes into account the law of small numbers. Very easy to "double sales" off a small number baseline. Getting from 5 to 10% is easy, from 20% to 40% will take 20 years at least given the average lifespan of a newly purchased car. Tesla will be fine, their buyers are loyal and willing to pay any price to get the cars. The other automakers are in for a rude awakening after the initial hoopla of "look at all our pre-orders" for the first two model years.
I would imagine the executive leadership of companies like Mercedes Benz has more insight into these things than you or I do. You are not smarter when it comes to product planning than they are. Mercedes did not make the decision to be all EV by 2030 lightly.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have several friends with Teslas who do love them, but I have a good group of friends with them who also do not. One of my friends has a Model S and just cancelled the X they had on order as "we don't want another one of these." Another good friend has a 3 and cancelled their Y. "The 3 is the most expensive cheap car I've ever owned." So, it does happen, but I do say more people like them than do not.
I would guess the issue there is the quality of the Tesla product moreso than the EV powertrain itself. Hence the "most expensive cheap car".
Old 10-30-22, 04:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

2030 is 7 years away. Cracks me up that people think we will be in EV-utopia land at that time. Or that nobody will want ICE cars, just EV. There are still massive disadvantages to EVs that won't be made ideal by 2030. I mean come on. There is one apartment complex in all of Knoxville that offers EV charging (I've checked), and this is a "hip" city believe it or not.

All this virtue signal EV "we're done with ICE " stuff, well it's gonna backfire when automakers massively miss sales targets (and they will, just watch). We simply are not there with battery tech and charging infrastructure, not to mention having them shoved down our throats just makes many of us not want them even more.

I think the appeal of Tesla is the street cred (they can be very, very expensive...wow factor) and performance wayyyyy more than buying them just bc they're an EV. Like I was saying earlier, more mainstream EVs have about the same performance as ICE street counterparts so I really see zero advantage there. I'm not hating on EVs or people who love them but the rose tinted glasses are very thick in some cases.
Old 10-30-22, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody is saying any of that, Mercedes as the example has said that they will only sell EVs in most markets by 2030. It’s not virtue signaling, they have literally stopped all development and are actively converting factories. This is happening.

Just because luxury carmakers will likely only be selling EVs does not mean most cars sold or certainly on the road will be EVs by 2030. The average car on the road is 12 years old…

I firmly believe that within 10 years the only way to buy a luxury car will be to buy an EV. You want an S Class? It’s going to be an EV only.

The benefit of a mainstream EV is not performance, its not having to buy fuel, and reduced maintenance and running costs.

Quick Reply: Toyota rebooting its EV plan with Tesla in mind