EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

VinFast VF32 and VF33

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 04:54 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default VinFast VF32 and VF33

To date, the VinFast, and is operated by the Vietnam-based conglomerate Vingroup, has received more than 17,000 and is aiming to launch in the American market in 2021, according to a release from Discovery Channel.

Would you buy one if they set up shop in the US?
Old 05-04-20, 05:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Without having to watch the video, what is ‘one’ vinfast? A diet drink?

edit - interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinFast

History[edit]

Key people of VinFast in Paris, 2018 (from left to right): James DeLuca (general director VinFast), Lê Thị Thu Thủy (VP Vingroup), David Lyon (design director), David Beckham (brand ambassador).The company was founded in 2017 by Vingroup.[6] The company designed its models with the help of Pininfarina, BMW and Magna Steyr and participated in the 2018 Paris Motor Show. VinFast claims it will be the first volume automotive manufacturer in Vietnam as well as the first Vietnamese automaker to participate in a major international auto show.

VinFast broke ground in September 2017 on an 828-acre facility in an industrial park located on Cat Hai Island near the city of Hai Phong. The investment is US $1.5 billion in the first phase of a program to make cars and electric motobikes at a greenfield factory on the facilities. The company claimed that it has aggregated talent from multiple established companies and is sourcing European design, engineering, and production technology partners. The first two vehicles that were shown at Paris motorshow in the fall of 2018 are the LUX SA2.0 and the LUX A2.0, designed by Pininfarina.

Additionally, General Motors recently announced a partnership between Chevrolet and VinFast. VinFast will have exclusive rights to distribute Chevys in Vietnam and will take ownership of the existing General Motors (GM Korea) factory in Hanoi (VIDAMCO). That factory will then build a GM-licensed “all-new global small car” to be sold under the VinFast name.[7]

VinFast signed two contracts with Siemens Vietnam, a unit of Siemens AG, for the supply of technology and components to manufacture electric buses in the Southeast Asian countries.[8]

For the 2020 Vietnamese Grand Prix, VinFast will be the title sponsor.[9]

It was announced on December 2019 that VinFast plans to market electric vehicles to the United States by 2021.[10]

In February 2020, ex-Holden engineers are being recruited by VinFast in Port Melbourne, making Australia the first overseas country to have a VF branch after the company moved in December 2019.[11][12] The branch is known as VinFast Engineering Australia, staffed by ex-Ford, Holden and Toyota employees.[13]
Old 01-22-21, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default VinFast debuts VF32 and VF33

The Vietnamese company claims it will be able to deliver the first cars in mid-2022

VinFast said it was going to introduce an electric vehicle for the U.S. in the past, and today looks like its shining day. The Vietnamese company dropped not one, but two electric crossovers today that it says will be eligible for sales in America. They’re dubbed the VF32 and VF33. Both are meant to be available for pre-ordering in November this year and delivery in June 2022, according to VinFast’s current plans.

We’ll start with the VF33, since it’s the biggest and most attractive of the pair. Its footprint is nearly identical to that of a Chevrolet Traverse, so it’s big, but not Chevy Tahoe big. Overall, it’s an attractively styled vehicle. The rear three-quarter angle brings the Lincoln Aviator to mind, but it’s not a blatant ripoff or copy of any one vehicle.

s (one in front and one in back), each outputting 201 horsepower for a combined 402 horses. VinFast doesn’t say what test it’s using to measure range, but it claims up to 342 miles on a full charge from a 106-kilowatt-hour battery pack. We’ll have to wait for proper EPA testing to make any comparisons to other EVs.

VinFast says it will have a huge 15.4-inch infotainment touchscreen. Most of the roof is one big slate of glass. A suite of lidar sensors and cameras will enable advanced driver assistance technologies — VinFast claims Level 4 autonomy will be possible, but we suspect that won’t be happening any time soon. And lastly, VinFast makes it very clear that both this and the VF32 meet NHTSA’s safety standards for U.S. sale.

The aforementioned VF32 is a smaller (and much less attractive crossover). It’s exactly the same length as a Tesla Model Y, but the body’s shape is more traditional. There’s nothing particularly offensive about the design, but it’s very milquetoast. Both single- and dual-motor versions will be available. The motors appear to be the same as what’s in the VF33, so upwards of 402 horses will be on tap. VinFast says it’ll be equipped with a 90-kWh battery pack, but it makes no claims for range. Similar to the VF33, it’s going to get the 15.4-inch infotainment system and an array of driver assistance sensors.

We’ll be watching out to see if VinFast can stick to the timetable it laid out. If the company is able to live up to expectations, you’ll be able to see a VinFast on U.S. roads as soon next year.
Source
Old 01-22-21, 01:41 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

A few news sources report that this company is sourcing batteries from LG, but LG is already the sole supplier for Chinese-manufactured Model Y (supposedly through 2022) as well as one of the suppliers for the Chinese-manufactured Model 3. Is Tesla actually not supply-constrained in China, or how is this company fighting off Tesla for battery supply?

Last edited by gengar; 01-22-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were in the market for a full-electric vehicle, I'd have to know a little more about this company, its plants, its products, its warranties, its work-force, and how it treats its work-force before I could make a buying decision. One short article, with three or four paragraphs, isn't going to cut it.
Old 01-24-21, 06:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
A few news sources report that this company is sourcing batteries from LG, but LG is already the sole supplier for Chinese-manufactured Model Y (supposedly through 2022) as well as one of the suppliers for the Chinese-manufactured Model 3. Is Tesla actually not supply-constrained in China, or how is this company fighting off Tesla for battery supply?
LG supplies batteries to other manufacturers, not just Tesla.

VinFast generallly uses all major vendors, they started producing cars 4-5 years ago.
Old 01-24-21, 07:50 AM
gengar

Originally Posted by spwolf
LG supplies batteries to other manufacturers, not just Tesla.
Aware of that, that wasn't the question asked.

VinFast generallly uses all major vendors, they started producing cars 4-5 years ago.
Not sure what "generallly uses all major vendors" is supposed to mean, as they certainly don't have contracts with even many much less all of the major battery suppliers. Most of the press releases that come up from internet searches suggest VinFast has actually repeatedly failed at securing battery supply, including from Samsung, which is what made me question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch. And my question regarded their electric capabilities; all they've made as far as EVs so far appear to be a handful of electric scooters.

Last edited by gengar; 01-24-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Aware of that, that wasn't the question asked.

Not sure what "generallly uses all major vendors" is supposed to mean, as they certainly don't have contracts with even many much less all of the major battery suppliers. Most of the press releases that come up from internet searches suggest VinFast has actually repeatedly failed at securing battery supply, including from Samsung, which is what made me question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch. And my question regarded their electric capabilities; all they've made as far as EVs so far appear to be a handful of electric scooters.
Meaning they can have a separate contract with LG for batteries. Not sure what does Tesla have to do with that at all? While Tesla is biggest EV manufacturer in the world, they are also 15% of global sales (their share is dropping), meaning you have CATL, LG Chem, Panasonic (and countless others) producing batteries for those plugins that make up 85% of market. JV venture where LG Chem builds factory for Hyundai/KIA batteries will not end up going to Tesla because Tesla needs them.

Also my comment about VinFast was about their car producing abilities not EV. They will simply pay for EV components.
Old 01-24-21, 12:21 PM
gengar

Meaning they can have a separate contract with LG for batteries. Not sure what does Tesla have to do with that at all? While Tesla is biggest EV manufacturer in the world, they are also 15% of global sales (their share is dropping), meaning you have CATL, LG Chem, Panasonic (and countless others) producing batteries for those plugins that make up 85% of market. JV venture where LG Chem builds factory for Hyundai/KIA batteries will not end up going to Tesla because Tesla needs them.
And again, that wasn't the question asked. What I was wondering is how the company can secure sufficient battery capacity for a supposed worldwide launch in 2022 given their apparent recent failures in doing so, especially given that worldwide demand far exceeds supply right now.

After doing some more searching, I did find the answer I was looking for: VinFast does not have a supply contract with LG Chem; the two companies actually have a JV factory in Vietnam (VinFast Lithium) that was established in 2019 (some early press releases mentioned the factory is in Haifeng but I assume this is just a different or incorrect romanization of the Vietnamese city Haiphong). So that seems to be where the battery supply will be coming from. Given VinFast's apparent (failed) attempts to secure additional battery supply throughout 2020, though, it does appear they will be quite supply constrained.
Old 01-25-21, 08:39 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If I were in the market for a full-electric vehicle, I'd have to know a little more about this company, its plants, its products, its warranties, its work-force, and how it treats its work-force before I could make a buying decision. One short article, with three or four paragraphs, isn't going to cut it.
Try using a thing called Wikipedia: VinFast - Wikipedia
Old 03-17-21, 05:05 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

And again, that wasn't the question asked. What I was wondering is how the company can secure sufficient battery capacity for a supposed worldwide launch in 2022 given their apparent recent failures in doing so, especially given that worldwide demand far exceeds supply right now.

After doing some more searching, I did find the answer I was looking for: VinFast does not have a supply contract with LG Chem; the two companies actually have a JV factory in Vietnam (VinFast Lithium) that was established in 2019 (some early press releases mentioned the factory is in Haifeng but I assume this is just a different or incorrect romanization of the Vietnamese city Haiphong). So that seems to be where the battery supply will be coming from. Given VinFast's apparent (failed) attempts to secure additional battery supply throughout 2020, though, it does appear they will be quite supply constrained.
They are building their own batteries for use in their EVs. VinFast isn't playing around, they're cutting to the chase. They will be using solid state battery technology in their EVs:

The use of solid-state batteries will help VinFast electric cars travel further distances, reduce charging time and increase the total number of times they can be charged.

Source: Vietnamese electric vehicle brand VinFast to manufacture solid-state batteries

Old 03-17-21, 04:07 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by F1Driver
They are building their own batteries for use in their EVs. VinFast isn't playing around, they're cutting to the chase. They will be using solid state battery technology in their EVs:

Source: Vietnamese electric vehicle brand VinFast to manufacture solid-state batteries
That's a completely separate issue to what was previously being discussed, with the soonest time range for any ProLogium production being 2023-24. It's not even anything official yet.

I already mentioned (and you even quoted it) where VinFast is apparently producing batteries for its supposed 2022 worldwide launch, but they do appear to be supply constrained which was my initial question.
Old 03-17-21, 08:01 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

That's a completely separate issue to what was previously being discussed, with the soonest time range for any ProLogium production being 2023-24. It's not even anything official yet.

I already mentioned (and you even quoted it) where VinFast is apparently producing batteries for its supposed 2022 worldwide launch, but they do appear to be supply constrained which was my initial question.
It's the same issue, namely the supply of EV batteries. You did "question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch" for VinFast. You believed that VinFast was reliant on LG for their EV batteries and that because LG also supplies EV batteries to Chinese made Teslas that VinFast would be supply constrained. I just pointed out in my previous post that VinFast is not using LG EV batteries but producing their own EV batteries using licensed battery technology from ProLogium and therefore VinFast is not constrained by supply. You should really go back and re-read what you wrote.
Old 03-17-21, 09:18 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
It's the same issue, namely the supply of EV batteries. You did "question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch" for VinFast. You believed that VinFast was reliant on LG for their EV batteries and that because LG also supplies EV batteries to Chinese made Teslas that VinFast would be supply constrained. I just pointed out in my previous post that VinFast is not using LG EV batteries but producing their own EV batteries using licensed battery technology from ProLogium and therefore VinFast is not constrained by supply. You should really go back and re-read what you wrote.
I’d like to know more about VinFast’s battery production capacity.
Old 03-18-21, 09:18 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdls
I’d like to know more about VinFast’s battery production capacity.
That's all the information that is available at the moment.

Quick Reply: VinFast VF32 and VF33