EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

VinFast VF32 and VF33

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 11:01 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
It's the same issue, namely the supply of EV batteries. You did "question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch" for VinFast. You believed that VinFast was reliant on LG for their EV batteries and that because LG also supplies EV batteries to Chinese made Teslas that VinFast would be supply constrained. I just pointed out in my previous post that VinFast is not using LG EV batteries but producing their own EV batteries using licensed battery technology from ProLogium and therefore VinFast is not constrained by supply. You should really go back and re-read what you wrote.
Before asking others to reread anything, you need to reread my post #9. No idea what you're on about, you even quoted it already.

As I already also stated, the ProLogium news is irrelevant to my earlier question about supply for a 2022 worldwide launch. There is no official venture with ProLogium yet and the soonest any production could occur is 2023-24, even according to the source you provided.

Last edited by gengar; 03-18-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-21, 11:42 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Before asking others to reread anything, you need to reread my post #9. No idea what you're on about, you even quoted it already.

As I already also stated, the ProLogium news is irrelevant to my earlier question about supply for a 2022 worldwide launch. There is no official venture with ProLogium yet and the soonest any production could occur is 2023-24, even according to the source you provided.
Here, let me make it clear for you since you're still confused. VinFast is using the battery technology know-hows from ProLogium to build their own EV batteries. VinFast is NOT using ProLogium to build the EV batteries for VinFast:

It (VinFast) has signed an MOU with Taiwanese solid-state battery manufacturer ProLogium, which will enable VinFast to use ProLogium’s patents to manufacture solid-state batteries in Vietnam.

I think you're confusing 2023 with VinFast's 2022 launch date. The year 2023 is when other EV manufacturers can use ProLogium's battery technology. It does not apply to VinFast:

ProLogium is ALSO working with the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturers to test new battery technology on cars, and is expected to put into operation and mass production from 2023-2024.
Old 03-18-21, 11:59 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Here, let me make it clear for you since you're still confused. VinFast is using the battery technology know-hows from ProLogium to build their own EV batteries. VinFast is NOT using ProLogium to build the EV batteries for VinFast:
Again, you need to actually read your own sources instead of cherry-picking what you want to hear and then recklessly accusing others of confusion to cover up for it. Literally the next sentence in your article states:

According to the MOU, the two parties will set up a joint venture to produce automotive a solid-state battery (SSB) pack for VinFast’s EVs.
(emphasis added)

And to repeat, there is nothing even official here.
Old 03-18-21, 02:20 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Again, you need to actually read your own sources instead of cherry-picking what you want to hear and then recklessly accusing others of confusion to cover up for it. Literally the next sentence in your article states:

(emphasis added)

And to repeat, there is nothing even official here.
You make too many assumptions. First, you assumed VinFast was going to use LG or Samsung for their EV batteries and that battery supplies were going to be constrained. Now, you're assuming since "nothing even official here" that VinFast won't/can't launch their EVs in 2022.

FYI, 2022 is still relatively far away and plenty of time for anything to happen or not happen and unless you have insider information on the terms of the MOU you're passing your opinion off as fact. I guess only time will tell if VinFast can/will launch their EVs or not in 2022. However, given how quickly they have proceeded to design and manufacture their ICE vehicles within a span of a couple of years I'm going place my bet on them launching their EVs some time in 2022.
Old 03-18-21, 03:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

You make too many assumptions. First, you assumed VinFast was going to use LG or Samsung for their EV batteries and that battery supplies were going to be constrained. Now, you're assuming since "nothing even official here" that VinFast won't/can't launch their EVs in 2022.
This is a total strawman - I haven't assumed anything as my question was based on various news articles, as I clearly stated. I have also never suggested that VinFast "won't/can't" launch their EVs in 2022. Your repeated attempts to make this out like I'm approaching this in bad faith are petty and tiring. My question about VinFast's battery supply has been echoed by others and is not unreasonable.

FYI, 2022 is still relatively far away and plenty of time for anything to happen or not happen and unless you have insider information on the terms of the MOU you're passing your opinion off as fact.
It is a fact that the news source you presented states the JV is not official. That's not an opinion. All that's there is an MoU and further, the whole point of an MoU is that it is not legally binding.
Old 03-18-21, 03:38 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

FYI, 2022 is still relatively far away and plenty of time for anything to happen or not happen and unless you have insider information on the terms of the MOU you're passing your opinion off as fact. I guess only time will tell if VinFast can/will launch their EVs or not in 2022. However, given how quickly they have proceeded to design and manufacture their ICE vehicles within a span of a couple of years I'm going place my bet on them launching their EVs some time in 2022.
If I’m not mistaken, solid state batteries aren’t commercially available yet anywhere for anything. I might be wrong on this. a cursory google search tells me that the earliest we might see them in mass production vehicles is pretty much around the end of the decade. I would like to know if any solid state batteries have made it out of the test labs and into the test track. Maybe they are further along than I thought, but it seems to me at this point that researchers haven’t even figured out their final chemistry yet.
Old 03-18-21, 04:38 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

-A few news sources report that this company is sourcing batteries from LG, but LG is already the sole supplier for Chinese-manufactured Model Y (supposedly through 2022) as well as one of the suppliers for the Chinese-manufactured Model 3. Is Tesla actually not supply-constrained in China, or how is this company fighting off Tesla for battery supply?-Most of the press releases that come up from internet searches suggest VinFast has actually repeatedly failed at securing battery supply, including from Samsung, which is what made me question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch.

-What I was wondering is how the company can secure sufficient battery capacity for a supposed worldwide launch in 2022 given their apparent recent failures in doing so, especially given that worldwide demand far exceeds supply right now.

-Given VinFast's apparent (failed) attempts to secure additional battery supply throughout 2020, though, it does appear they will be quite supply constrained.

-I already mentioned (and you even quoted it) where VinFast is apparently producing batteries for its supposed 2022 worldwide launch, but they do appear to be supply constrained which was my initial question.
The above are your quotes.

So, you're telling me you did not question how VinFast was "fighting off Tesla for battery supply"? This is your first assumption, you assumed VinFast was getting their EV batteries from the same vendor/supplier as Tesla.

Your second assumption was you assumed that VinFast "appear to be (battery) supply constrained". Do you have insider information on VinFast's EV battery production capabilities that you can share with all of us?

A MOU may not be legally binding but it is still an agreement between two business entities. Perhaps, the MOU allows for VinFast to have early access to ProLogium's battery technology know-hows, hence, the 2022 launch date for VinFast's EVs. Only time will tell.
Old 03-18-21, 04:41 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdls
If I’m not mistaken, solid state batteries aren’t commercially available yet anywhere for anything. I might be wrong on this. a cursory google search tells me that the earliest we might see them in mass production vehicles is pretty much around the end of the decade. I would like to know if any solid state batteries have made it out of the test labs and into the test track. Maybe they are further along than I thought, but it seems to me at this point that researchers haven’t even figured out their final chemistry yet.
Toyota's solid state prototype EV is coming out this year. I believe they will have solid state EVs in 2025:

Toyota’s Quick-Charging Solid-State Battery Coming in 2025
Old 03-18-21, 05:22 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

So, you're telling me you did not question how VinFast was "fighting off Tesla for battery supply"? This is your first assumption, you assumed VinFast was getting their EV batteries from the same vendor/supplier as Tesla.
This will be the third time I will repeat that I already updated that outdated info (in post 9) about the LG Chem JV, it's beyond me why you keep acting like I didn't post that when you've even quoted it multiple times.

Your second assumption was you assumed that VinFast "appear to be (battery) supply constrained". Do you have insider information on VinFast's EV battery production capabilities that you can share with all of us?
Already clearly stated, this was based on some news reports that VF failed to secure battery supply from Samsung. "appear" = opinion, I did not state this as fact, it is not an assumption, you and others are certainly welcome to debate it and/or answer my very simple question.

A MOU may not be legally binding but it is still an agreement between two business entities. Perhaps, the MOU allows for VinFast to have early access to ProLogium's battery technology know-hows, hence, the 2022 launch date for VinFast's EVs. Only time will tell.
But according to you, "perhaps" = assumption. Maybe try not to be so hypocritical.

Last edited by gengar; 03-18-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 09:37 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

This will be the third time I will repeat that I already updated that outdated info (in post 9) about the LG Chem JV, it's beyond me why you keep acting like I didn't post that when you've even quoted it multiple times.
Then why you keep insisting that VinFast is supply constrained when it comes to batteries for their EVs? You sounded like a broken record repeating yourself that VinFast won't be able to meet its 2022 EV launch date due to shortage of batteries for its EVs.

Already clearly stated, this was based on some news reports that VF failed to secure battery supply from Samsung. "appear" = opinion, I did not state this as fact, it is not an assumption, you and others are certainly welcome to debate it and/or answer my very simple question.
There you go again about VinFast's shortage of batteries. VinFast will be producing their own batteries using ProLogium's battery technology know-hows. Opinion or not, you're under the belief that there is a shortage of batteries for VinFast's EVs.

But according to you, "perhaps" = assumption. Maybe try not to be so hypocritical.
Perhaps = Maybe = Opinion = I don't know for certain so I'm not going to state it as matter of fact. I don't pretend I know the inner workings of VinFast or what their near future plans are. I post what I find or come across, that's it. You can take it for what's it worth. You on the other hand are fixated on battery supplies for VinFast EVs and continue to believe that there is a shortage and consequently, VinFast will be unable to meet its 2022 EV launch date. Despite evidence to the contrary.
Old 04-12-21, 03:46 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Default VinFast sees potential $60 billion valuation in U.S. IPO

HANOI — Vingroup JSC, Vietnam's largest conglomerate, is considering an U.S. initial public offering (IPO) of its car unit that could value VinFast at about $60 billion, two people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Vingroup, which was founded in 1993 in Ukraine, is working with Credit Suisse Hong Kong for the potential offering on the New York Stock Exchange, the sources said.

Bloomberg News had reported earlier on Monday that the company could raise as much as $3 billion in its IPO, making it the biggest-ever listing by a Vietnamese company.

The offering will take place in the second quarter, one of the sources said.
Source: Autoblog
Old 04-12-21, 04:08 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Most of the press releases that come up from internet searches suggest VinFast has actually repeatedly failed at securing battery supply, including from Samsung, which is what made me question the feasibility of a claimed 2022 launch. And my question regarded their electric capabilities; all they've made as far as EVs so far appear to be a handful of electric scooters.
Last month, Reuters exclusively reported that VinFast was in early stage talks with Taiwan's Foxconn about partnering in electric vehicles.The company sold about 30,000 vehicles last year and has forecast sales of more than 45,000 for 2021. It will begin delivery of EVs produced at its factory in the northern port city of Hai Phong to domestic customers by December.

VinFast, which also produces electric motorbikes and buses, obtained a permit to test autonomous vehicles on public streets in California earlier this year.
Source: Autoblog

Source: Automotive World
Old 04-12-21, 04:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's a domestic launch in 2022. This is in-line with the questions I've been asking.
Old 04-12-21, 06:39 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Yeah, that's a domestic launch in 2022. This is in-line with the questions I've been asking.
Domestic deliveries in December 2021. It's already launching ahead of schedule. For the rest of the world, deliveries begin from June 2022. You were questioning worldwide launch in 2022.

The VF31 car is expected to start receiving orders in Vietnam from May 2021, and hand over to customers from November 2021.VF32 and VF33 will receive orders from September 2021 in Vietnam, hand over from February 2022. In the US and Canadian, European market, VinFast will receive orders from November 2021 and hand over from June 2022.
Source: The Associated Press

Last edited by F1Driver; 04-12-21 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 11:06 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Domestic deliveries in December 2021. It's already launching ahead of schedule. For the rest of the world, deliveries begin from June 2022. You were questioning worldwide launch in 2022.
Misread that as meaning December 2022. We'll still see about worldwide launch in 2022, no idea what "launching ahead of schedule" can possibly mean when even your OP mentioned an American launch in 2021.

Quick Reply: VinFast VF32 and VF33