EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 05:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 240 Likes on 134 Posts

Started a Google sheets log to document everything done to the car, warranty repairs, costs etc. All costs are in Canadian Dollars - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 07-09-19, 06:25 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats! The Model S has always had elegant timeless lines. And yours appears to be mint

I’m stashing cash away towards the purchase of a Model Y. Unless of course Lexus comes out with something I can’t resist.
Old 07-09-19, 06:46 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed

you owe it to yourself to keep an open mind and drive one pronto. Are you surprised I don't miss the V8 sounds? The only way to answer that question is that you just need to drive one to understand why most Tesla owners seem to get lumped into a "cult' of sorts.

Well said and what I did last week on a Model 3. Test drove it and signed for a mid-Aug delivery.

Congrats on your Model S. Looks beautiful!
Old 07-09-19, 06:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car - congrats! - love the color combo and the wheels too!
Old 07-09-19, 07:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Congrats! The Model S has always had elegant timeless lines. And yours appears to be mint

I’m stashing cash away towards the purchase of a Model Y. Unless of course Lexus comes out with something I can’t resist.
Thank you! Yes, the Model S is a stunning looking car with a timeless look. It looks much better with bigger wheels, but I won't be doing that upgrade anytime soon as this is a daily driver and I need the ease of use and comfort of the 19's.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Well said and what I did last week on a Model 3. Test drove it and signed for a mid-Aug delivery.

Congrats on your Model S. Looks beautiful!
Nice! Congrats! That's all it takes for anyone to be convinced if you enjoy driving. If you don't enjoy driving, just driving the car may not convince you.

General feedback to anyone reading this thread and saying that electric cars leave a lot to be desired (range being the main reason), driving dynamics etc, just need to do the following:
  1. How many miles do you drive on a daily basis? Unless you're driving more than 100 miles each way and don't have access to a charger at your destination, or no superchargers anywhere on your route coming back - stick with an ICE car.
IMHO, the above reason is the most important to consider when buying a BEV. I'm assuming ofcourse that you will install at a minimum a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home (same as your stove plug outlet). This will allow you top up your battery every night - it charges at the rate of approximately 30 miles /hour which is more than enough to fully charge a 250 mile battery within 8 hours. How often will your battery be completely drained in one day? Charging at home is very convenient and that's what most EV owners do.

Originally Posted by bagwell
Beautiful car - congrats! - love the color combo and the wheels too!
Thanks! Apparently Tesla only made the Model S in this silver for a very short time (no idea why). So its pretty unique for a Tesla.
Old 07-10-19, 12:08 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I started my Level 2 charging solution today. This is a DIY job as I did the wiring in my basement a couple of years ago and passed electrical safety inspection. Please note, I am not an electrician. I've just done a lot of reading here and on other sites.

I deliberately decided to install the NEMA 14-50 plug charging solution only (using a dedicated circuit/run of course) and forego a Tesla High Power Wall charger for the simple reason that the former allows me to charge the battery to full from empty in 8 hours. That's fast enough for home charging as far as I'm concerned. This may not apply to you as you may feel that is too slow or perhaps you use up all your range (400 km) in less than a day and need to charge up again quickly and head out the same day.
  1. I got a contractor to cut the drywall and drill a hole from my garage to my basement as that was the only part of the install I was not 100% certain about. See the 1st and 2nd pictures
  2. My electrical panel is already at 200 amps, so I didn't need to upgrade that.
  3. I bought the following parts (this would be all that you would need to buy for a typical install
    • 30 feet of 6/3 gauge conduit wrapped wire. This is overkill as you don't necessarily need to have the whole run of the wire in conduit. See the 3rd and 4th pictures. Cost before tax: CAD$159.97
    • 50 AMP circuit breaker - see 3rd and 5th pictures. Cost: CAD$61.97
    • NEMA 14-50 plug - see 3rd picture. Cost: CAD$5.34
    • Plug mounting box - see 3rd picture. Cost: CAD$9.95
    • Fitting pipe for cable to go into mounting box. See 3rd picture. Cost: CAD $6.87
  • Electrical safety inspection including tax: CAD$90.00. Please get your install inspected so that you don't run into any complications in the future (bad install causing a fire or something worse)
  • Grand total before labor = CAD$365.83

I will update this after I've completed the run of the cable and connections just prior to the drywall fix. I will also make a video as that may help others as well.

Old 07-31-19, 10:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I finally got my Level 2 Charging station installed in my garage and passed safety inspection! See shots below

Old 07-31-19, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

great job!
Old 08-01-19, 04:58 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Turned out great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-01-19, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Congratulations again, Hameed....this time on the do-it-yourself charger. I finally test-drove a Tesla for the first time a few days ago.....a new Model 3 AWD. Absbolutely blown away by its torque and power...even with the weight/drag of AWD. Posted the test-drive in Car Chat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 10:04 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for sharing and the pictures. I do have to say that Tesla does make a statement in looking 'different' and exciting. Silver is a timeless color and the shapes of Tesla vehicles all embody a sleek and future proof appearance. It looks fresh regardless of what year it is. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-01-19, 08:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great job!
Thanks Paul!
Originally Posted by rogerh00
Turned out great! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations again, Hameed....this time on the do-it-yourself charger. I finally test-drove a Tesla for the first time a few days ago.....a new Model 3 AWD. Absbolutely blown away by its torque and power...even wt the weight/drag of AWD. Posted the test-drive in Car Chat.
Thanks Mmarshall! I will check out your review tomorrow. Whenever I drive my car it feels as if my brain is connected directly to the wheels. You think you want to go fast and you go fast RIGHT NOW. No lag, no gears to downshift, zero sound (almost). Its almost telepathic. The instant torque at any normal speed and the power is just mind blowing. Once you drive a Tesla, you're pretty much smitten for life.
Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Thanks for sharing and the pictures. I do have to say that Tesla does make a statement in looking 'different' and exciting. Silver is a timeless color and the shapes of Tesla vehicles all embody a sleek and future proof appearance. It looks fresh regardless of what year it is. Enjoy the ride!
Thank you!. Yes the Model S definitely has a very timeless design to it and I think its beautiful!
Old 08-02-19, 05:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Some new shots

Old 08-12-19, 10:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Have you watched a sunset AND moonset at the same time? This was the first time I'd ever seen this and it was FANTASTIC!! This was shot at Port Dover last weekend.

Old 08-12-19, 10:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have you watched a sunset AND moonset at the same time? This was the first time I'd ever seen this and it was FANTASTIC!! This was shot at Port Dover last weekend.

Wow. Great pic.

Quick Reply: Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)