EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 02:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think a Tesla's slowest models are faster than the GS
i feel like i read the 75 has like just over 300hp or something, obviously the 90D is quicker and the P100 blows stuff away

edit: got the official specs from the tesla website archived from 2016 (wayback machine ftw)

there you go 140 mph, slower than the GS

Last edited by Stroock639; 07-08-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 02:46 PM
Grey2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just wait until you get hooked on all the autopilot features too Also I always hear people complaining about how potholes constantly crack the 21 inch rims so the smaller rims were definitely the way to go
Old 07-08-19, 02:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A 'Standard Range Plus' Model 3 is quoted at 5.3 0-60. Pretty sure a GS F could beat that
and after 60 the tesla is already starting to slow down, anyone else who's driven one knows what i mean about the power starting to drop off already

it is however the ultimate urban warrior, nothing can squeeze between a gap in traffic like one of these haha
Old 07-08-19, 02:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
and after 60 the tesla is already starting to slow down, anyone else who's driven one knows what i mean about the power starting to drop off already

it is however the ultimate urban warrior, nothing can squeeze between a gap in traffic like one of these haha
The drop off at 60 is greatly exaggerated. Mine pulls pretty hard to 100 and steadily to 120. My IS350 would get destroyed easily from 60-120 by my Model 3. Something like an M3 would pull harder at 100mph. From a stop though, the Tesla Model 3 Performance would still be couple car lengths ahead at 120 mph from a dig.
Old 07-08-19, 02:56 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats. Model S is a great vehicle. Will be interested in your experience with car. I also felt the model S is over my budget but you have me wondering about a used one.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-08-19, 03:39 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 240 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
happy for ya!!

i do wonder why previous owner sold so soon...
Thanks Paul! He traded it and got a newer model with AutoPilot V2.5

Originally Posted by Allen K
Welcome to the team
Thanks Allen!

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i feel like i read the 75 has like just over 300hp or something, obviously the 90D is quicker and the P100 blows stuff away

edit: got the official specs from the tesla website archived from 2016 (wayback machine ftw)

there you go 140 mph, slower than the GS
I deliberately got the "uncorked" version - it does 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds https://electrek.co/2017/10/21/tesla...-acceleration/

Here is a video comparing a performance model P85D that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. The best part of the car though is not to get fixated on the seconds going from 0 - 60, its the smooth and linear feel of the acceleration - theres no air to ingest, no gears to change. You are just catapulted forward regardless of any speed. I have never smiled so much in life driving any car and I've driven quite a few. The best part of the "feeling" is also the fact that since there is no noise, less of your senses are involved and it feels even faster.

-

Last edited by Hameed; 07-08-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 03:44 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Grey2010
Just wait until you get hooked on all the autopilot features too Also I always hear people complaining about how potholes constantly crack the 21 inch rims so the smaller rims were definitely the way to go
Thanks! Yes, I've tried the AP and am starting to like it. I have V1 on my car and its more "confident" than AP2, but is limited in its features. For maintaining speed (and slowing down all the way to zero and accelerating back again to the set speed), changing lanes, its phenomenal. Mine does not have Navigate on AutoPilot as the hardware was upgraded in later models - Oct. 2016 to be exact

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Congrats. Model S is a great vehicle. Will be interested in your experience with car. I also felt the model S is over my budget but you have me wondering about a used one.

Keep us posted.
I will keep this thread updated with my experience with the car. I also started a detailed log that I'll link to in the first post once I have some entries in there. Yes, there's a ton of used cars out there now. Here is one the better sites for searching on EV's https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/
Old 07-08-19, 05:01 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed
I deliberately got the "uncorked" version - it does 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds https://electrek.co/2017/10/21/tesla...-acceleration/

Here is a video comparing a performance model P85D that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. The best part of the car though is not to get fixated on the seconds going from 0 - 60, its the smooth and linear feel of the acceleration - theres no air to ingest, no gears to change. You are just catapulted forward regardless of any speed. I have never smiled so much in life driving any car and I've driven quite a few. The best part of the "feeling" is also the fact that since there is no noise, less of your senses are involved and it feels even faster.
well i sit corrected didn't know about the uncorked version, that's awesome! but yes the 90D i drove was one of the most fun experiences i've had driving a car, it's almost unnerving the way it just goes with only a bit of high pitched whirring going on

i wouldn't get rid of the E55 for one yet (and i look forward to us possibly crossing paths on the highway some day haha) but i would love to also have a model s some day
Old 07-08-19, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,195 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The drop off at 60 is greatly exaggerated.
Well this says different, but perhaps it depends on the model. I’m sure the P100 with ludicrous mode uses LUDICROUS amounts of battery energy for a full blast take off 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gets-depleted/

but i think the varying performance is SOFTWARE determined, not due to any lower power output as the batteries drain. I bet software lowers the output so range is somewhat preserved, more and more as it gets lower. So if you’re at 10%, car doesn’t want you blasting away and depleting the battery entirely.

But then most people drive ICE cars slower as the gas gets closer to empty.
Old 07-08-19, 08:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well this says different, but perhaps it depends on the model. I’m sure the P100 with ludicrous mode uses LUDICROUS amounts of battery energy for a full blast take off 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gets-depleted/

but i think the varying performance is SOFTWARE determined, not due to any lower power output as the batteries drain. I bet software lowers the output so range is somewhat preserved, more and more as it gets lower. So if you’re at 10%, car doesn’t want you blasting away and depleting the battery entirely.

But then most people drive ICE cars slower as the gas gets closer to empty.

Take a look at this video. Instead of the 1/4th mile, they do a half mile to disadvantage the Model 3. If the model 3 were as slow past 60 as rumored, then it would have lost to the competitors easily. It basically takes the AMG 132mph to catch the Tesla. The Model 3 Performance flies at 60 mph. It pulls hard until 100 and even then just steadies out the acceleration in a linear fashion and is still very quick. In its class, it's easily the fastest car under 100mph.
Old 07-08-19, 09:15 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Take a look at this video. Instead of the 1/4th mile, they do a half mile to disadvantage the Model 3. If the model 3 were as slow past 60 as rumored, then it would have lost to the competitors easily. It basically takes the AMG 132mph to catch the Tesla. The Model 3 Performance flies at 60 mph. It pulls hard until 100 and even then just steadies out the acceleration in a linear fashion and is still very quick. In its class, it's easily the fastest car under 100mph.
impressive stuff, as chris said it's the traffic light king

i just love the way my car pulls hard past 100 and has enough power and immediate torque to break the back wheels loose at basically anything under 60 mph, even at 150 the thing is still accelerating fast enough that the digital speed readout jumps like 3 mph increments at a time... i look forward to the day when i feel internal combustion has nothing to offer over an electric motor, we're not quite there yet though
Old 07-08-19, 09:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,742 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
--video--
"AK-47 disguised a a butter knife"

haha that's a good line.
Old 07-08-19, 09:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
"AK-47 disguised a a butter knife"

haha that's a good line.
Haha...Chris Harris is the man. He tweeted after this episode that he would be getting the Model 3 Performance. Thats pretty high praise.
Old 07-08-19, 09:47 PM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats man, great read. A model X P100D lined up with me the other day at a red light. I swear u not, if I was just a second off he would have taken me to gapplebees lol. Since when can a SUV be that fast right from the factory? I'm also seriously considering trading in for one. I never really given Tesla a second thought but they have gotten quite nice and the design language is really growing on me.

Out of curiosity. Does charging get in the way of driving the car daily?
Old 07-09-19, 04:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by AgentWin
Congrats man, great read. A model X P100D lined up with me the other day at a red light. I swear u not, if I was just a second off he would have taken me to gapplebees lol. Since when can a SUV be that fast right from the factory? I'm also seriously considering trading in for one. I never really given Tesla a second thought but they have gotten quite nice and the design language is really growing on me.

Out of curiosity. Does charging get in the way of driving the car daily?
Thanks. I'm loving every minute of it so far!
An emphatic no is the answer to your question about if charging gets in the way of daily driving. On the contrary.
  1. How many miles do you drive daily? I drive to work twice a week and my total commute is 46 miles. The range of my car is 260 miles (this is ideal range of course which you won't get, so lets say its 208 miles (20% loss due to normal driving - city/highway/hard acceleration etc ). So I can basically drive to work about 4 times before I need to charge. Well I don't wait till after 4 days. I plug it in every night and have the charging automatically start on a schedule at off-peak rates (in my case its from 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM on weekdays and 24 hours a day on weekends and statutory holidays)
  2. I installed a stove plug in my garage. This is a NEMA 14-50 plug using a 50 amp breaker from a 200 AMP electrical panel. This charges at the rate of 30 miles/hour. So even if you drive 200 miles/day, charging does not get in the way at all.

Quick Reply: Finally left the ICE camp and bought a Tesla :)