EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Audi E-Tron (2019 and on)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 12:58 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 358 Likes on 245 Posts

If this is what the future of automobiles looks like, sign me up. That video is incredible. While I don't think we will see some of the lighting features here in the states (due to our laws), they are really cool to see in the video. I love the 3 small horizontal lights that show up under the headlights. And Audi absolutely nailed the exterior and interior. Really impressive.
Old 09-04-18, 02:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,774 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
If this is what the future of automobiles looks like, sign me up.
It's only the beginning. As batteries get smaller and more powerful it will open up even more space for better packaging, more power, less weight etc. we're going to see some amazing cars in the next 10 years.

Old 09-05-18, 03:10 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

I've almost pulled the trigger on a Tesla Model S several times, but in the back of my head I'm worried about the viability of Tesla as a company. I've always thought and still think that when other mainstream automotive companies jumped into the electric market, Tesla would go away. But I admit it has taken longer than I thought it would take.
Old 09-05-18, 06:07 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've almost pulled the trigger on a Tesla Model S several times, but in the back of my head I'm worried about the viability of Tesla as a company. I've always thought and still think that when other mainstream automotive companies jumped into the electric market, Tesla would go away. But I admit it has taken longer than I thought it would take.
What would make you think that Tesla is not a viable company? If anything, they are really the first to mainstream electric cars. There's a wealth of knowledge going on there at Tesla that builds on top of each other, and as time goes on their cars will become even better. I think it comes down to styling and EV range anxiety. I for one never really like the styling of Teslas. They look weirdly feminine.
Old 09-05-18, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
What would make you think that Tesla is not a viable company?
take a look at this income statement. loss of 2Bn on 12Bn in sales for 2017.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/f...come-statement

assuming they sold 40K cars that year that would be a loss of FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS PER CAR. great business model.

edit: just found this showing quarterly including this year...

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/revenue-eps

their earnings for first 2 quarters are much worse than prior years even though revenue is higher.

reminds me of the old joke... "yeah sure we lose a dollar on each one sold, but we'll make it up in volume"
Old 09-05-18, 03:34 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
take a look at this income statement. loss of 2Bn on 12Bn in sales for 2017.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/f...come-statement

assuming they sold 40K cars that year that would be a loss of FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS PER CAR. great business model.

edit: just found this showing quarterly including this year...

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/revenue-eps

their earnings for first 2 quarters are much worse than prior years even though revenue is higher.

reminds me of the old joke... "yeah sure we lose a dollar on each one sold, but we'll make it up in volume"
But aren't a lot of those losses because of spending in R&D and the buildout of the giga factory and the expansion of more superchargers and soon the mega chargers?
Old 09-05-18, 04:08 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

But he's saying that he isn't considering Tesla because they aren't a viable company. That's not his problem whether Tesla is making money or not. The cars themselves are good cars.
Old 09-05-18, 05:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 679 Likes on 465 Posts

If you ignore the build quality issues
Old 09-05-18, 09:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
But he's saying that he isn't considering Tesla because they aren't a viable company. That's not his problem whether Tesla is making money or not. The cars themselves are good cars.
You must have missed the last few reviews of the Model 3, definitely not a good car.

Old 09-06-18, 01:18 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
You must have missed the last few reviews of the Model 3, definitely not a good car.
Im not going to dismiss an entire brand based on a couple of amateur reviews.
Old 09-17-18, 08:34 PM
venom21
Instructor

Old 09-17-18, 09:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 679 Likes on 465 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/1...ice-sale-tesla

The E-tron features an electric motor on each axle, so it should offer zippy all-wheel drive performance. The front motor puts out 125kW of power, while the rear motor produces 140kW. In total, the car operates with about 265kW of power, which is the equivalent of around 350 horsepower. All told, Audi says this will be good enough to get from 0 to 60 mph in a little over 6 seconds. The driver will be able to activate a “boost mode” that temporarily increases the performance of each motor for a total power output of 300kW. In boost mode, the E-tron can hit 60 mph in 5.5 seconds.

That’s notably a few ticks slower than some of the E-tron’s direct competitors. The Jaguar I-Pace, for example, hits 60 mph about a second earlier. The base level Tesla Model X does it half a second quicker. Even the (still forthcoming) entry level version of the Model 3, Tesla’s cheapest option, has acceleration that’s on par with the E-tron.

That was the point, according to Filip Brabec, the vice president of product management for Audi America. “We focused on everyday usability of the car, and we focused on making the transition from internal combustion car to electric car as easy and seamless as possible,” Brabec tells The Verge. “We didn’t want to create a fringe quirky car. We wanted to create a very mainstream car.

Looks like no camera mirrors in the US due to regulations. Bummer

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...-etron-2019-GE

Build tool is up on their site as well. Starts $74,800 for Premium Plus, $81,800 for Prestige. I optioned it up the way I wanted and came in under $85K which doesn't sound too bad compared to the competition

Last edited by Allen K; 09-17-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 10:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,502 Posts

must be a humongous battery...
Old 09-17-18, 10:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,774 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Old 09-17-18, 10:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

More info and photos at Autoblog.
Overall, another impressive offering from Audi. Exterior is modern, mild, and agreeable. Interior is once again the future, but now.
However, it is severely overpriced (and overpowered). This should have been a reachable, mid-sized, luxury SUV for the masses. One that would put Audi on the map, and do it fast before the others catch up. But the price is more than Audi's top SUV, the Q8. This disruption will conflict on the showroom floor when people see the price.

Quick Reply: Audi E-Tron (2019 and on)